Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Chance:

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grand58742
    replied
    Posted at 34,000 feet over the Atlantic. Wi-Fi on airplanes, who woulda thunk it? So a nice long chapter for you folks since you've been patient thus far with my move. So I decided to give you all a treat and post one up while I was airborne.

    Technology is wonderful ain't it?

    So yes folks, this means I'm on my way back to the good old USA and after my 30 days of leave will be in Oklahoma.

    Leave a comment:


  • Grand58742
    replied
    “Let’s get your boat around with the others,” said Mitch as they started unloading everything and pulling the raft higher on the bank. After the majority of the weight was gone, they picked up the raft and carried it around the rocky shoreline to the rest of the rafts.

    “Charlie? Will it be improper for me to take my top off and dry off some? I have on my bathing suit,” asked Cindy as she saw the remainder of the females doing that very same thing.

    Charlie worried about her once again, but decided it wasn’t a big deal although she had been getting glances from Toby all morning. However, he knew she was proper and decided to let her do it since they were all close friends. “Just make sure you’ve got on some sunscreen and put your top back on before we start towards the camp.”

    “Where are we stowing the rafts?” asked Mack.

    “I was thinking on the other side of the tracks up the hill slightly. Put them under cover and out of sight,” said Mitch.

    “Let’s go ahead and get the stuff moved across the railroad tracks,” suggested Mack.

    “Sounds like a plan. Easier than trying to hop over them repeatedly after we’ve run up and down this hill,” said Sarah as she grabbed some of the times and headed over towards the base of the hill. A small wet weather spring was running down the mountain and feeding into the river in a culvert under the tracks. They were quickly moving everything over when they had to stop for a passing train. As the train passed, the engineer gave them a quick blast of the horn while waving at the group. They waited several minutes while it passed and continued moving the gear to the other side. They would end up making several trips up and down the hill getting the gear moved to the campsite. The boats were last and hidden away behind some laurel trees from the casual observer. The group shouldered up packs and got ready to move up the mountainside minus Toby who would be waiting with the remainder of the gear. Everyone was excited and ready for the long weekend of getting away from it all.


    ********************


    “Got a minute?” asked the reporter.

    “Sure Susan,” said the editor as he put down the report he was reading. He came from the old school of paper copy for everything and old habits were hard to break as he often red penned the articles that came across his desk. “What have you been working on?”

    “An interesting one I think,” said the reporter as she spent the next five minutes explaining the unusual situation she was working.

    “Two States not getting along because of a teenage girl? That’s more than unusual. How long have you been looking into this?” asked the editor.

    “Since Monday,” said the reporter.

    “Anyone else have this story that you know of?” asked the editor as he looked over his glasses at her.

    “Not that I’m aware of. My contact in the Justice Department uses me for these stories,” said the reporter.

    “And you know he’s loyal to just you?” asked the editor.

    “Fairly certain he only uses me for the big ones,” said the reporter.

    “How sure?” asked the editor.

    “He wants to sleep with me so he tosses me the things that will help me out,” said the reporter.

    The editor didn’t continue to ask questions since it would be improper to do so and went back to the report. He made some annotations in the margin of the paper with follow up questions and remarks on the situation as a whole. “Muslim huh? Hasn’t this happened before?”

    “It has, but never an interstate spat about it from what I’ve found,” said the reporter.

    “This is a big story and I could assume you want to keep it to yourself?” asked the editor.

    “If you don’t mind,” said the reporter.

    “Do we know who she is so we can schedule an interview?” asked the editor.

    “No and that’s the unusual part. Everyone and I mean everyone in Tennessee has clammed up over this story. Either they don’t know or they are hiding it very well,” said the reporter.

    “And New York?” asked the editor.

    “My contact at the Attorney General’s office said he would get back to me. He did say there were negotiations between Tennessee and New York over something, but wouldn’t elaborate further,” said the reporter.

    “Most curious. I wonder why they would want it out of the press?” asked the editor as more of a rhetorical question rather than one to be answered.

    “I’ve already filed a Freedom of Information Act request with both the Sixth Court and the Justice Department for anything pertaining to this matter,” said the reporter.

    “You’ve been the busy little bee,” observed the editor.

    “Dog eat dog world out there. I have to be quicker than my counterparts,” said the reporter.

    “Okay, get me a name and some follow up interviews. The story is yours as long as you can produce further background on this,” said the editor.

    “The network will want a piece of this,” said the reporter.

    “I’ve got a few markers to call in from the big dogs in New York. It’s going to be your story and they started asking about you a couple of months ago,” said the editor.

    “And you failed to mention this why?” asked the reporter.

    “Because it was a field job in Mali. Not a lot going on there and you have more potential than some backwater job in a third world cesspool,” said the editor. “I think you should wait for something better to come along. This story can get you a better field assignment and eventual promotion back to the States.”

    “Looking out for my best interests?” asked the reporter.

    “Always,” said the editor.

    “Okay, I’m on a deadline then. I can push for the name from my contact and go from there,” said the reporter. “How about breaking the story on Monday or Tuesday?”

    “Long weekend. Let’s shoot for Thursday. That gives the parties a full day to come up with responses and we can hit the Sunday morning talk shows with it as well,” said the editor.

    “Okay, I’ll give my contact a call,” said the reporter.

    “Be careful. Men with hormones can be hard to deal with,” said the editor.

    “I know Dad,” said the reporter with a smile. “Dinner tomorrow, right?”

    “Yeah, your mother wants to meet this new man of yours,” said the editor.

    “She’ll be waiting a while. We broke up a few days ago,” said the reporter.

    “He wasn’t good enough for you anyway,” said the editor.

    “You say that about every man I bring home,” laughed the reporter.

    “True,” laughed the editor as he handed the report back over with the questions she should ask. “Get me this story and we’ll make sure it gets out there.”

    “Later,” she said as she left the office to track down the additional information. She knew having her father as an editor was potentially a problem since there was always that rumor of nepotism, but she was a talented reporter and wanted to make her own way in life. But she needed that one breakout story to make her name known to the national level in order to get a decent overseas assignment. This was the kind of story that could and would put her name on the map if she played it right.


    ********************


    “When is dinner?” asked Cindy.

    “Are you hungry already?” asked Erica.

    “I’m always hungry,” said Cindy.

    “Need to check her for a tapeworm when we get the chance,” said Charlie. “Is the food stowed yet?”

    “Over outside the camp as instructed,” said Cindy. “We have a bear bag, right?”

    “Bear bag?” asked Erica.

    “Put a line up in a tree and hang your food off the ground. That way the bears can’t get at it,” said Charlie.

    “And this is a big problem around here?” asked Erica.

    “Nah, not so much. But bears will eat anything for some reason,” said Mack.

    “I’m new to the camping thing, remember,” said Erica.

    “Well, they’ll especially like you being so sweet and all,” said Charlie with a grin.

    “Hope they don’t like corn, they’d especially love you,” she said with a return grin and a roll of her eyes.

    A fire was being set up by Cindy who wanted to try the skill she had learned before. As she was gathering materials for the fire in the nearby woods, she let out a scream that immediately set Charlie on edge. He ran towards the noise with his pistol drawn and saw a bearded man standing about ten yards away with a pack on his shoulders.

    “Whoa, hold on there partner,” said the man as he held up his hands. “I’m expected.”

    “By who?” asked Charlie as he was joined by Mitch who was wielding his own pistol.

    “Hey David, sorry about that, we weren’t expecting you until tomorrow morning,” said Mitch as he went over to shake the man’s hand. Charlie relaxed and holstered the pistol before shaking the man’s hand himself.

    “Folks, meet David. He’s more or less the caretaker for this area,” said Mitch as he strapped in the Glock at his waist.

    The man sat down a somewhat large pack with something protruding out of the top before going around the group shaking hands. Cindy was still visibly shaken as she didn’t expect the man to appear out of the woods like he did, but common courtesy took over as she shook his hand. They headed over to the campsite and sat on the various chairs and logs.

    “Bring something up?” asked Mitch.

    “Figured you all could use this,” said the man as he pulled out a chainsaw from his pack. It was a smaller version, but was big enough to handle keeping the group in wood for the weekend. He pulled out two fuel bottles and a bottle of oil as well.

    “Sorry about pulling a gun on you,” said Charlie. “I just thought something was wrong with my niece.”

    “Hey no problem. I wasn’t supposed to be up here until tomorrow so I’m partially to blame,” said David.

    “Long way to trek a chainsaw through the woods,” said Mack. “How did you know to find us here?”

    “Figured this was the best place for a group. Large enough for a dozen tents and with a stream nearby,” said David.

    “How are things going for you?” asked Mitch.

    “Bout as good as could be expected. One day at a time,” said David. The conversation moved on to small talk as the group went this way and that finishing up the unpacking and setting up camp. They would take breaks around the fire ring and talk with Mitch’s friend before heading back out and doing this and that.

    “Figured you all would have had a fire started by now,” said David.

    “Hadn’t gotten to that part just yet,” said Charlie. “Speaking of which, you mind if we cut out that dead oak over that way?”

    David turned and looked, seeing the tree Charlie was talking about. “Sure, dead anyway.”

    “What’s the report on wildlife around here?” asked Mitch.

    “Saw a couple of bears a few days ago and seen signs for a few others. Coyotes are running the hills at night, but other than that, nothing huge,” said David. “Plus, ‘bout a third of a mile over that way is an area ridden with squirrels. Old orchard or something with plenty of oaks, walnuts and crabapples. Darn things have moved in and taken over.”

    “Little off season poaching?” asked Mack.

    “Private property and I would consider you all exterminators for the most part. Have at it,” said David.

    “What about two legged varmints?” asked Mitch.

    “Nah, nothing to speak of. Folks still come up wanting to look at the old town, but mainly day hikes and whatnot,” said David as he watched Cindy starting to build a fire. “There’s a birch tree over that way that will help.”

    “Birch? Oh yeah!” she remembered and went over to peel some of the bark for fire starter. After returning, she started building it once again and was watched by the group as they continued to talk. David about stopped her once again, but was waved off by Charlie who was going to teach a lesson. Once she got everything ready, she requested his lighter and gave it a try. However, after the birch tinder burned off, the remaining twigs and kindling was still there slightly smoldering.

    “What did I do wrong?” she asked and looked at the pile of kindling.

    “Your kindling is hardwood. You need softwood to get it going and then add in the other stuff,” explained Charlie. “Remember last time you used pine.”

    “Right!” she exclaimed and went off to find a tree with dead branches that would work. She came back several minutes later with enough branches to start the fire and hopefully get it going, but needed to replenish her birch bark first. Eventually she had another fire lay built and looked up at Charlie to get his approval. He nodded at her, but held her off to sparking the lighter.

    “Try this instead,” said Charlie as he retrieved a Blast Match from his pack. He showed her how to work the device and she went over to give it a try. She had to spark it twice to get the birch going, but had a decent fire going after the second try.

    “Heard about those things and seen them in the store. Never saw one used until now,” said David. Charlie passed over the device and had him take a look at it. David attempted to pass it back with a “neat” comment.

    “Nah, go ahead and keep it. Figure it’s an even trade for the use of the chainsaw,” said Charlie.

    “I can’t accept this,” said David.

    “I’ve got another at the house. Go ahead and keep it,” said Charlie.

    “If you insist, I’ll count it in trade for the use of the chainsaw and fuel,” said David, pocketing the object.

    “Speaking of, how are we going to get it back to you?” asked Mitch.

    “I’ll be back by on Sunday and pick it up then. If I can’t make it, just leave it over there by that rhododendron tree under some leaves,” said David.

    “We appreciate the use,” said Mack.

    “Well, I’ve got a good walk ahead of me and daylight’s burning. You folks have a good weekend,” said David as he shouldered up the lighter pack and shook hands around the fire. He departed silently through the woods as silently as he had appeared.

    “Seems to be a personable fellow,” said Charlie.

    “Keeps to himself for the most part. Lives off the grid save a telephone and satellite internet,” said Mitch.

    “How does he get power?” asked Mack.

    “Solar for the appliances that need it,” said Mitch. “You’d like him Charlie, he’s all about living off the grid like you do.”

    “Makes good financial sense. You want to compare power bills?” asked Charlie.

    “You keep reminding me,” said Mitch with a smile.

    “How much are we talking about?” asked Mack.

    “I spend maybe twenty, thirty bucks in electric a month. Mainly on the power for the shop,” said Charlie.

    “And your power comes from where?” asked Mack.

    “Solar. Put in the panels years ago and the batteries to store the electric. Initial start up was kind of pricey, but it paid for itself over the long run,” explained Charlie.

    “How much are we talking?” asked Mack. “We’re looking at trying to cut down on our bills.”

    “I’m not sure these days. Back then, about ten to fifteen grand if I remember correctly,” said Charlie. “That was ten years ago though.”

    “Cheaper now?” asked Jennifer.

    “I would imagine so. The technology isn’t as new as it was, but with the whole green craze going around, the prices will go up again. Mark my words,” said Charlie. “I can come take a look at your place if you want to see what you would need.”

    “We’ll take you up on it,” said Mack. “What about when it snows?”

    “Batteries normally last a pretty good while and I’ve got a generator to back that up,” said Charlie.

    “Let’s go ahead and get the rest of the firewood set up. Then we can talk about dinner,” said Mitch as he grabbed the chainsaw. It was already fueled and the four men tromped over to the dead oak. Cindy came wandering over, but was banned from the area by Charlie.

    “But why?” she asked.

    “Because this is dangerous and you could get hurt,” he explained calmly.

    “I’ll be careful,” she protested.

    “No, absolutely not and this is not a time to be stubborn,” said Charlie.

    “Toby gets to stay,” she protested.

    “Toby has experience taking out deadfall from the woods,” said Charlie.

    “Please,” she pleaded.

    “No and that’s the final answer,” he said in a no nonsense tone and pointed at the camp. She knew she had reached the line with him and stomped slowly back to camp, mad because she felt he wasn’t treating her as a grown up. She plopped down next to the fire with a scowl on her face.

    “You ever think he’s trying to protect you for a good reason?” asked Erica, who saw the signals clear as day.

    “But I would be fine!” she protested. “I can dodge a falling tree if I need to!”

    “Has he taken care of you so far?” asked Erica.

    “Well, yeah,” admitted Cindy.

    “Put you in harm’s way or exposed you to danger?” she continued.

    “Well, no, but…” said Cindy as her voice trailed off.

    “He’s trying to protect you, that’s all. And it’s because he cares about you,” said Erica.

    “Well, I know, but I’m not a china doll! I won’t break!” she exclaimed.

    “He just wants you safe. Be happy he’s looking out for you,” said Erica.

    “Well, I guess,” said Cindy.

    “I’ll be willing to bet he shows you how to do it eventually. Just right now isn’t the best time,” said Erica.

    “You think?” asked Cindy.

    “Yeah, he likes the fact you’re a tomboy and aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty,” said Erica as the men came wandering back into camp carrying larger logs and smaller branches. Toby immediately set to cutting up the smaller branches with the bow saw while Charlie and Mack started in on the larger logs with the chainsaw.

    “Thought you gentlemen were going to cut out that widow maker,” observed Jennifer.

    “Probably in the morning. It’s getting towards evening and we’ll have to move fast before dark,” said Mitch.

    “True enough,” said Erica. “You cooking tonight or am I?”

    “I think I’ll get the first night,” said Charlie as he wandered over to clean up as well.

    “What’s for dinner anyway?” asked Erica.

    “Cindy’s favorite camping food,” he said.

    “Hobo packs! Awesome!” she exclaimed.

    “Best get a better bed of coals in the fire though,” he said as he started getting everything ready.

    “We’ll hold off on getting anything else cut up until tomorrow. I think we have enough wood for the night here,” suggested Mack.

    “And then fishing,” said Charlie.

    “Absolutely!” said Mack.

    “What’s the big deal with fishing anyway?” asked Erica.

    “Let’s see, drinking beer, relaxing and throwing a hook into the water every once in a while? What’s not to like?” grinned Charlie.

    “You didn’t bring any beer,” she observed.

    “Two out of three ain’t bad,” said Charlie as he started getting out the items for the packs.

    “Nice looking steak you have there, Charlie,” said Jennifer.

    “It should be, it came from your cow,” he laughed.

    “You still eating on that stuff we brought over?” asked Mack.

    “Of course,” said Charlie. “It’s good beef and I saved it for special occasions.”

    “What exactly are we making?” asked Erica.

    “Hobo packs,” said Charlie.

    “For some odd reason, that doesn’t sounds very appetizing,” said Erica.

    “Don’t knock it until you try it. I said the same thing,” said Cindy as she helped cut up the potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and onions.

    “Don’t plan on anything Saturday night. I’m doing chili that night. And if you don’t mind, I’d love to get the rest of that Vidalia onion for the pot if you aren’t planning on using it,” said Jennifer.

    “In my Dutch oven I take it?” asked Charlie.

    “I’ll clean it afterwards, I promise,” said Jennifer.

    “Don’t think I’ve ever had chili with Vidalia onion in it,” said Charlie.

    “It’s different,” said Jennifer.

    “Your chili is some good stuff as it is,” said Mitch.

    “I do try to impress,” said Jennifer. “But making it over the fire in cast iron just turns it out better for some reason.”

    “Anything cooked over the fire just makes it taste better,” said Mack.

    While dinner was being prepared, Toby went over and started getting the bear bags ready for that night. He filled the bags and had the lines strung just waiting to be pulled up. Each family did their own meal that evening and got everything ready to eat. Cindy took care of the hobo packs and had added in some additional spices which turned out even better than Charlie had done the last time. Everyone sat down around the fire as the cooler evening air started coming in and they all took in a breath, relaxed to be out in nature. Small talk passed around the campfire as the noises of the nighttime forest started rolling in. One lantern was started and the group started yawning before long as they had a fairly busy day. They started nodding by the fire before they collectively decided to turn in for the night.

    “If you need anything, just give me a yell,” said Charlie as he opened the flap to Erica’s tent. Cindy was already climbing into her tent and zipping up the fly. Others were rustling around inside their tents getting settled in for the night.

    “And if I get cold?” she asked.

    “I’ve got an extra blanket,” said Charlie. “Just let me know if you need it.”

    “Night Charlie,” she said and gave him a long kiss.

    “Night lady,” he said with a smile after they released the embrace.

    He went to his tent and started wiping down from the day’s activities. After getting everything cleaned as he could in the light of the small battery lantern, he snuggled down into his sleeping bag and fluffed at the bag he was using as a pillow. Just as he started to doze off, he heard his rain fly being opened up and the inner zipper being pulled back. In the dull light of the fire, he could see Erica coming inside and zipping the fly back behind her. She removed her sandals and started slipping into the sleeping bag beside him.

    “Can I help you miss?” he asked in a whisper.

    “I got cold,” she whispered back and snuggled up close to him.

    “Uh huh,” he whispered.

    “That and I think there are bears nearby and got scared,” she whispered.

    “Uh huh,” he chuckled.

    “And snakes of course,” she whispered and started to get comfortable since she saw he wasn’t objecting as much as he could have.

    “How did I forget about the snakes?” he whispered as he put his arm over her and pulled her in.

    “And other scary stuff in the woods,” she whispered.

    “Like?” he asked.

    “You know, scary things,” she said and rested her head on his shoulder.

    “You could have just asked,” he said.

    “You would have said no,” she whispered.

    “Maybe not,” he said.

    “Well, nothing improper will be going on, I promise you. We’re just sharing body warmth,” she whispered.

    “Is that all I’m good for?” he asked.

    “Maybe a few other things as well,” she said and smiled. “Night baby.”

    “Night lady,” he said and got settled in as well. It was the first time in a long time he had a female this close to him in a sleeping situation and he felt really good inside. He was in love with Erica, but still had a hard time finding the courage to say the words. He felt she was in love as well, but didn’t know exactly how to say it to her. He dozed off thinking of how grand his situation was and how content he was with his life at that point in time.

    Leave a comment:


  • Grand58742
    replied
    CHAPTER 48



    “Okay, kitten is at the vet and boarded, chickens are taken care of by the neighbors, gear is loaded…what am I missing?” asked Charlie as he ran over his mental checklist for the camping trip.

    “To stop worrying and have a good time?” asked Erica.

    “Okay, got me there,” said Charlie who had packed, repacked, unpacked and gone over the items, repacked once again, checked through the house and finally called it good. He was a worrywart over some things. “We need to start heading up to Mitch’s place on Rock Creek.”

    “He lives near the park?” asked Cindy.

    “Sort of. He lives in the area down the road,” said Charlie as he loaded up one of the packs.

    “How are we getting into this place again?” asked Cindy.

    “Floating down the river and pulling in nearby,” said Charlie.

    “Cool, like camping on the beach!” she exclaimed as Erica came out of the house.

    “Not really on the beach. Well, there is sort of a sandy spot where we will pull in. But we have to walk some ways to get to the campsite,” said Charlie. “Get everything you needed?”

    “I think so. Am I over packing?” asked Erica.

    “Everything fit in a pack, so I wouldn’t imagine so,” said Charlie.

    “Still sucks we have to carry everything up the side of a mountain to the site,” said Erica.

    “Again, lucky for you, it won’t be necessary as you have a strong fellow to do that for you,” Charlie grinned. “Or at least a strong teenager.”

    “Does this mean I have to do all the work again?” asked Cindy.

    “You bet it does,” laughed Charlie.

    “I think there are child labor laws prohibiting this,” she grumped.

    “Only if the children belong to you. Otherwise, I get to work you as hard as I want,” laughed Charlie.

    “Figured as much,” she said with a roll of her eyes and went back inside for her own bag.

    “She complains about it, but always jumps right in,” observed Erica.

    “Yeah, I think the complaining is more of a joke though,” said Charlie.

    “True,” said Erica, thinking the same thing he was right then. “She is a good girl.”

    “The very best,” said Charlie.

    “You’ve grown attached haven’t you?” asked Erica.

    “And you haven’t?” asked Charlie.

    “I didn’t say that,” she laughed. “I still need to thank her though.”

    “For what exactly?” asked Charlie.

    “For bringing you out of your shell after all those years,” she said with a warm smile.

    “How’s that again?” he asked, somewhat puzzled.

    “She brought you out of that depression you had. I made plenty of passes at you before, but you never seemed to notice. Or didn’t react; one of the two. But after she came along, you started coming out of your shell once again and actually reacted to my flirting for a change,” explained Erica.

    “I never noticed before,” he said thinking back to the times before Cindy appeared and threw his life into a different path.

    “I don’t know how much more obvious I could have been save tackling you, holding you down by your ears and stating in no uncertain terms I liked you,” she laughed.

    “Why didn’t you try that tactic?” he asked with a grin.

    “It was next on my list,” she said with a serious tone, but he saw the mirth in her eyes.

    “I might have enjoyed that a little bit,” he said with another grin.

    “I bet you would,” she grinned back as Cindy came out.

    “Should I wear my boots on the boat? Or would my sandals be more appropriate?” she asked as she held up both pairs.

    “The sandals. The boots will weigh you down,” said Charlie. “But bring the boots along just in case. Wait a second; are those the same sandals you arrived with?”

    “Yes,” said Cindy.

    “Those are leather and are hanging on by a thread. We’ll make a quick trip to get you another set,” said Charlie.

    “I don’t have anything like that with me,” said Erica.

    “Do you have a pair at home?” asked Charlie.

    “No, I never thought about that when we were shopping either,” said Erica.

    “Guess we’ll have to make a last minute run for you as well,” said Charlie. “No big deal.”

    “What kind of sandals do I need?” asked Erica.

    “The hard bottom kind and the ones that wrap around your ankle. If you fall out of the boat, it won’t be easy to stand up on the bottom and the rocks are somewhat sharp. Plus, you need something that won’t slip off and float away. There are some specifically made for outdoors I have in mind,” said Charlie.

    “I trust you to figure out what I need?” asked Erica.

    “We’ll all go,” said Charlie. “The monkey girl can grab a set as well.”

    “You think we can be trusted to do that all by our lonesome?” asked Cindy with a grin.

    “Yes, as long as you don’t go running off again,” said Charlie as he pulled out his cell phone and dialed up Mitch. As the phone was ringing, he closed and locked the house. “Hey brother, need anything last minute from the store…fuel…propane or liquid…both, okay…a coffee mug…you mean to tell me you don’t have a decent mug…yeah right, I’ll grab one…see you in about an hour or so.”

    “So I’m not the only one that forgot something?” asked Erica.

    “Nope, there’s always that one thing,” said Charlie as he called up Mack Reynolds and had a similar conversation. However, Mack asked for an unusual item along with some sun block and spare lantern mantles which Charlie had forgotten as well. He closed up the cover for the bed so the items couldn’t be casually seen from the outside. “Okay, let’s load up and get on over there.”

    “Where are we stopping?” asked Cindy as she piled into the middle and Erica on the left.

    “Two places. Probably Wally World and maybe have to travel into Johnson City,” said Charlie.

    “What for?” asked Erica.

    “Mack needed some pistol ammo,” said Charlie.

    “Speaking of which, did you bring a gun?” asked Erica.

    “Never leave home without at least one,” said Charlie.

    “Just checking. You know those mean bears and stuff,” said Erica.

    “Bears won’t bother you as long as you don’t bother them,” said Charlie.

    “Famous last words,” laughed Cindy.

    “Best hope you can run faster than I can then,” said Charlie with a laugh. The rest of the short trip was spent in casual conversation, but he could see how excited both Cindy and Erica were about the trip as they chattered like a couple of squirrels in a tree. After they pulled into the parking lot, Charlie decided to go ahead and have the ladies grab what they needed while he grabbed the camping supplies. It would be quicker for them to try on the sandals providing they had them while he grabbed what he needed from the outdoors section and checked on the ammo. He grabbed a shopping basket and headed towards the outdoor goods while they went to the shoe department. He grabbed the propane and Coleman fuel before finding the right sized lantern mantles and tossing two packs into the basket. Checking on the ammo, he didn’t find a box of the caliber Mack needed. Moving on to house wares, Charlie found the selection of coffee mugs wasn’t that great so he planned to grab one in Johnson City at the other store. He was met by Erica and Cindy.

    “We need your advice,” said Erica.

    “On?” asked Charlie.

    “Whether or not these will hold up,” said Erica as she showed him the sandals she had picked out. Charlie looked them over and tugged at the straps. He saw they were held on by glue as opposed to being sewn into the sole. While they probably would have lasted the trip, he had doubts about the durability and Charlie would rather spend a little more on one pair for the long term rather than buy three or four pairs that would be less durable.

    “Might want to take a look in Johnson City,” he suggested.

    “They aren’t the best?” asked Erica.

    “Maybe for this trip,” said Charlie. “But long term? There’s better.”

    “Okay, I trust you and if we are going to be camping more, I think durable is better,” said Erica.

    “And I even had a color picked out!” exclaimed Cindy as she held up her pair.

    “I’m sure they have pink in other brands,” said Charlie with a shake of his head.

    “That’s not pink, it’s mauve,” said Cindy.

    “It’s pink,” said Charlie, slightly confused.

    “Mauve. There is a difference,” said Cindy.

    “How can there be a different name for pink?” asked Charlie, slightly exasperated.

    “Trust me, there is a difference. Did you find what you needed?” asked Erica.

    “Yes, and in a normal color as well,” he said with a roll of his eyes, but a smile on his face. “Just need to grab some sun block and we’ll be on our way.”

    “Any aloe as well?” asked Erica.

    “Why?” asked Charlie.

    “In case of burns,” she replied.

    “I’ll grab a bottle,” said Cindy as she bounced towards the cosmetics. Charlie and Erica followed at a more sedate pace, holding hands along the way. Cindy came back with not only the aloe and sun block, but also some regular suntan lotion.

    “Just in case,” she said and deposited the items in the basket. They paid for the items and climbed back into Charlie’s truck for the trip to Johnson City. They arrived at the store and went their separate ways after going inside, Charlie to find a coffee mug and the ammo and Erica and Cindy to pick out a pair of sandals each. He went upstairs to find the difficult item first.

    “You guys have any .32 Mag loads?” he asked as the sales attendant came over.

    “Maybe…don’t get a lot of requests for that caliber.” He said and started looking through the ammo boxes.

    “Smith and Wesson Long will work as well,” said Charlie.

    “Might have some of that,” said the man as he continued looking. “Okay, we’ve got two boxes of the Federal self defense stuff but more of the S and W Long target ammo.”

    “I’ll grab the one box of each,” said Charlie. “Mind taking it down to the counter in the basement for when I check out?”

    “Absolutely,” said the man. Charlie departed and started browsing the gear downstairs, looking for a decent coffee cup for Mitch. He finally found a stainless steel camping mug that would work great and be durable as well. He saw Erica and Cindy trying on several types of sandals and walking around in each. He deposited the mug with the ammo at the counter and checked on the ladies.

    “Those are totally cute! Seriously, you could wear them to church with a dress even!” exclaimed Cindy.

    “And I even like the color!” exclaimed Erica. “Very comfy.”

    “That’s a good color on you,” said Cindy.

    “And I like that pink color. Do you have that in her size?” asked Erica.

    “No, we sold out. It’s a fairly popular color,” said the woman helping them.

    “I can see why, totally cute,” said Cindy. “What about purple?”

    “All we have left is the black in that size. It has purple trim though,” said the saleswoman.

    “I’ll take them,” said Cindy.

    “You all find something you like?” asked Charlie.

    “Absolutely! What do you think?” asked Erica as she showed off her new sandals.

    “Very nice. And I even like the leg it’s attached to,” he said observing the feet and legs the shoes were connected to.

    Erica blushed up slightly and smacked at his arm, but was very happy with the compliment. She tried very hard to keep her weight down as best as she could, but her build made it a hard proposition. But even then, she still had natural curves from her youth and was proud of the way she looked. And Charlie appreciated it as well as she noticed his approving glances.

    “We have what we need?” he asked.

    “Just need to grab the set from the back,” said Cindy as Erica decided to wear her purchase instead of slipping back on the tennis shoes she had been wearing. The Teva sandals were very comfortable and the weather was perfect for wearing them. After the sales attendant returned, Cindy decided on wearing hers as well, adjusting them slightly after slipping them on. Charlie noticed the glances she was getting from the male sales attendant even though he was in college. It worried him slightly, her getting looks from a boy far older than she was, but he also recognized the fact she was an attractive, although underage, girl. He shot a disapproving look at the boy and his glance darted away quickly as he feared he had invoked the wrath of the girl’s father.

    Erica picked up the tab on the sandals over the protests of Charlie, saying it was the first thing she had been able to buy for Cindy and I’ll pay for it if I want to. She even picked up the tab on the ammo and coffee mug, looking it over before putting it into the shopping bag.

    “Didn’t think to bring a gun for the woman did you?” she asked with a twinkle.

    “I didn’t know what you shoot,” said Charlie.

    “I guess you’ll have to take me out for a spin sometime then,” she said with a wink.

    “Suppose I might take you for more than a spin,” he said with his own wink.

    “You two realize I understand what code you are speaking?” asked Cindy from the front of the two.

    “Didn’t realize we were that obvious,” laughed Charlie.

    “I’m glad Erica has her own tent,” giggled Cindy.

    “Young lady! I wouldn’t be that improper!” objected Erica.

    “I don’t know, it could get cold and all,” said Cindy with shrugged shoulders.

    “You’re not going to win this battle,” laughed Charlie.

    “No, I wouldn’t do anything like that. I think he’s worth waiting for,” said Erica as she looked up at Charlie with a smile and was rewarded with a kiss.

    “Come on, let’s head for Mitch’s,” said Charlie as he unlocked the truck and they all piled in. He could see the excitement building as they traveled back to Erwin and headed towards Rock Creek where Mitch and Sarah were waiting. Charlie got a text saying the Reynolds’ had arrived and they were just waiting on them and the van to take them over the North Carolina State line to put into the Nolichucky (or the Toe River as it was commonly called by the locals in North Carolina) and float downstream. Even though the last minute trip had to be made, they were still ahead of time and should be at the camp in enough time to get everything from the river up to the campsite and set up by evening. They had planned on a full weekend of just three days of relaxing, fishing and local hiking. It would give everyone a chance to get away from it all and just relax for a change.

    Plus it had the added benefit of getting Cindy away from the norm. Since her nightmare, she had been spending restless nights in fear of the dreams returning. Charlie figured a change of scenery might help in that regard and take her mind off the day to day dealings. As they pulled into the driveway, they saw the van and truck for the gear already waiting for them. Charlie pulled up close to the truck and put his vehicle in park.

    “About time you showed up,” said Mack as he got out.

    “Listen, not my fault someone didn’t remember his lantern mantles or someone else not remembering the extra fuel,” said Charlie with a laugh.

    “Hey now, you always bring extra so I wasn’t planning on it,” said Mitch as he adjusted his ball cap.

    “He sure is good for something isn’t he?” laughed Mack as he started unloading the items in the bed of the truck.

    “Better than being good for nothin’ I’ve always heard,” laughed Mitch.

    “Got your ammo in the truck. Didn’t know you had a .32,” said Charlie as he grabbed the bag from behind the seat.

    “It’s Toby’s. Johnny bought it some years ago thinking it would be a good bear pistol. I think the bear might be impressed by the noise more than anything else. I convinced him to go up in caliber and he passed it on to Toby. He likes the darned thing although the ammo isn’t easy to come by,” explained Mack.

    “He shoot it much?” asked Charlie.

    “Not as much as he’d like to. The ammo is pretty expensive as well,” said Mack.

    “I think I can grab a die set if you would like me to look into reloading,” said Charlie.

    “Don’t bother. Johnny’s already looking to buy him a new one at Christmas,” said Mack and grunted as he picked up a plastic container. “What did you pack in here? Your dead body?”

    “Dutch oven. Can’t have dump cake without a Dutch oven,” said Charlie.

    “And we aren’t going camping without one of your dump cakes,” laughed Mitch. “I’ll call the whole thing off.”

    “Those sandals are adorable! Where did you find them?” asked Jennifer.

    “Over at Mahoneys. They are entirely cute aren’t they?” asked Erica as she showed off her new sandals.

    “I’ll say,” observed Sarah. “And I see Cindy got a matching pair. At least the style.”

    “I wanted the pink ones, but they were out,” she said.

    “Oh, I bet those just flew off the shelves,” said Jennifer.

    “Can I ask you two a question?” asked Erica.

    “Of course,” said Sarah.

    “I’ve never been camping. Any advice for a first timer?” asked Erica.

    “Bug repellant,” said Sarah without hesitation.

    “And get used to less than sanitary conditions. Not unsanitary mind you, but a little bit of fire ash on your food isn’t a big deal,” said Jennifer.

    “I read about it online, but there weren’t that many articles about it,” said Erica.

    “It’s something that just needs to be done instead of reading about it. Just go in with a good attitude and you’ll have fun,” said Jennifer.

    “That I can do,” said Erica.

    “Cindy seems excited,” said Sarah.

    “Yeah, she was pretty stoked about this. But she also has another reason for going,” said Erica with a sly grin.

    “What’s that?” asked Jennifer.

    “Apparently she’s taking a liking to your son,” said Erica.

    “The feeling’s mutual. He thinks pretty highly of her as well,” said Jennifer. “But I think he’s too backwards to say anything.”

    “Probably for her as well. I mean, she tends to speak her mind, but since that trip to Rock Creek Park, she hasn’t said anything really,” said Erica.

    “If it’s meant to be, they will find a way of communicating,” said Sarah.

    “Charlie frets over it,” laughed Erica.

    “As should any uncle. She’s a pretty thing,” said Jennifer, not knowing the full story but having her suspicions.

    “And how are the two of you getting along?” asked Sarah.

    “Pretty good,” said Erica.

    “No wedding bells on the horizon?” asked Jennifer.

    “No, we haven’t taken the relationship that far yet,” said Erica.

    “I’ll move your vehicles to the river,” said an off duty deputy as he walked over to the small groups. They handed over the keys to the various vehicles sitting at Mitch’s house and checked one last time to make sure nothing was left.

    “You ladies ready?” asked Mack after everything was loaded.

    “Absolutely! Let’s get this circus on the road,” said Jennifer.

    They climbed into the van and settled in while the truck lumbered away from them as the lower speed would hinder the trip. They were heading for Poplar to put into the river and the guide started giving his standard safety briefing. While Mitch had called in a favor for getting the boats free, they still wanted to make sure their property was going to be safe and the rafts in good order when they returned. He put Cindy and Erica in separate rafts since they were newcomers and would need more experience as they drifted down the river. Lucky enough, there were no serious rapids on the way down and the river was up a little more this year than in years past. The trip up and over the State line didn’t take long as they caught up to the cargo truck and slowed their speed. Eventually they were over the gap in the mountains and heading down into North Carolina.

    After getting the standard safety briefings, the remainder of the trip was spent in conversation about this and that and admiring the sights. They pulled into the small village of Poplar and headed towards the area to drop the boats. The guides knew it well and had parked the vehicles in the best spots before getting out and starting to unload the large rafts. The gear was stowed by the shoreline and the rafts put into the water. It was somewhat of a tight fit into some of the rafts, but they managed to get everything in and secured so it wouldn’t fall out during the trip.

    “Excited?” asked Toby, finally saying the first thing to Cindy.

    “Totally!” she exclaimed.

    “First time camping?” he asked.

    “Charlie and I went out once before. Made our own shelters to sleep in,” said Cindy.

    “Made your own shelters?” he asked.

    “Yep, he showed me how,” she said.

    “I’ve never done that,” admitted Toby.

    “I’ll show you if you want,” said Cindy.

    Toby didn’t say anything more than his typical shy grin that meant “yes, I’d like that.” Cindy was paired up with Mack and Jennifer for the trip down the river and headed towards their raft.

    “Anything special I need to worry about?” asked Cindy.

    “Nothing out of the ordinary,” said Jennifer.

    “Just remember, if you go overboard, we’ll come to get you,” said Mack.

    “I’ll try not to fall out,” said Cindy as she settled into the raft.

    “Here’s your gear,” said Charlie as he came over and deposited the orange helmet and lifejacket.

    “Nothing in pink?” she grinned.

    “If you stick with this long enough, I’ll pick one up for you,” said Charlie with a shake of his head. “Ready?”

    “Let’s do this,” said Mitch as he pushed the raft away from the shoreline and hopped in. The rest quickly followed suit and the rafts spread out slightly away from each other as the current started taking them down the river. The section they had put in at was gentle and let everyone more or less get together before heading down the river. There were some rapids to be concerned with, but everyone but Cindy and Erica were fairly experienced with the river and knew which spots to avoid. They continued floating gently while Erica and Cindy were given quick lessons in paddling. For the most part, the steering was going to be done by the more experienced rafters in the group, but the remainder needed to know what to do just in case.

    “Got some rapids coming up,” said Mack from the rear of the boat as they passed under the railroad bridge.

    “Is that a bad thing?” asked Cindy nervously.

    “Nope, these are pretty tame,” said Mack as he and Jennifer steered the boat to the left.

    The rafts went into the slight rapids and water sloshed over the sides of the boat. It was sent left and right somewhat unpredictably until the rafts were on the right side of the river again. The rapids continued for almost a quarter of a mile before they settled out again.

    “See why I made you put your underwear in a Ziploc bag?” asked Charlie.

    “That was a rush!” exclaimed Erica.

    “Those weren’t even the bad ones,” said Toby from the front of the boat.

    “How did you learn how to raft?” asked Erica.

    “I think I first came down this river with my parents when I was about six months old,” laughed Toby. “In seriousness, I remember my first trip when I was about seven or so. We have an old canoe I still take down from time to time. Between that and Uncle Johnny taking me down the river when he gets the urge.”

    “And you?” asked Erica.

    “Pretty much the same, although when I was younger I wasn’t as smart and didn’t really have any protective gear,” laughed Charlie as they approached the next series of rapids. “These will be a little trickier.”

    The rafts went into another series of rapids, these a little worse than the last set. By the time they had finished up with this set, everyone in the boat was drenched.

    “This is awesome!” exclaimed Cindy, yelling for everyone to hear. Her screams of delight were heard over pretty much the entire gorge.

    “See what you’ve been missing all this time?” asked Mitch as he came alongside.

    “No kidding!” she exclaimed and whooped once again.

    “New set coming up,” warned Mitch as he and Sarah moved away from the rafts so they wouldn’t be bumping each other as they went through the next set of rapids. The rafts went through the sets again, bumping against rocks and getting more water thrown into the rafts. More screams and yells of delight were heard from everyone as they rafts took the bumps and rolls without dumping the occupants or the equipment. However, everything would have to be dried out by the time they arrived as it was getting soaking wet. But lucky enough, everyone had packed their clothing and other valuable items away in waterproof bags prior to the trip. Erica had wondered why and saw Charlie wasn’t crazy after all for making her Ziploc everything away.

    “One more set and we’ll be there,” said Mack.

    “No! I want more!” exclaimed Cindy.

    “Best talk to your uncle then,” he laughed as they entered the final rapids. They bounced back and forth once again until the river settled into a smaller bend.

    “Over there!” exclaimed Mitch as he and Sarah started paddling towards the left side of the river and a smaller island. The water sometimes cut through the middle, but currently wasn’t high enough to do more than make the rocks wet. The group continued paddling towards the island, however, Charlie, Toby and Erica missed the entrance and started heading towards the next set of rapids where putting in would be difficult at best. Charlie looked to the left and saw Mitch running with a rope to toss out to them. Uncoiling the line, he tossed it and landed it right across the middle of the boat. While Toby and Erica continued to paddle away from the rapids, Charlie started pulling in and was assisted by Mack, Mitch, Sarah and Cindy. Eventually they were pulled safely away from the next set of rapids and were hauled ashore.

    “Close call there,” said Mitch.

    “Got caught in an eddy and pushed to the right,” said Charlie.

    Leave a comment:


  • Echelleg
    replied
    This is a very well thought out story. You should consider getting it published.

    Leave a comment:


  • RVN11B
    replied
    Thanks again Grand! I am caught up now and up to speed again.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ozarks Lady
    replied
    Grand, just go what you have to do. We'll be here waiting.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gwynmael
    replied
    Grand,
    Thanks for the update. Hope your move goes smoothly, I remember some of them not as a Navy Brat.
    I bet your family is looking forward to you coming home. Enjoy your leave.

    Leave a comment:


  • Grand58742
    replied
    Originally posted by Gwynmael View Post
    See, now you spoiled us. You will warn us when you're going to be incommunicado because of the move , right?
    Please & Thank you.
    I'm actually in the process of moving right now. I'm heading home on leave for a month and on to my next assignment.

    But fear not, there are additional chapters ready to go. However, with this goofy internet at the hotel I'm staying at, posting anything large is hard to do, so I'm probably going to wait until I'm back in the US before posting again.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gwynmael
    replied
    See, now you spoiled us. You will warn us when you're going to be incommunicado because of the move , right?
    Please & Thank you.
    Last edited by Gwynmael; 06-19-2011, 10:22 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ozarks Lady
    replied
    Woot?? Two fer one?

    Grand your hard on my BP. LOL

    Thanks for two great new chapters.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gwynmael
    replied
    I'm with robb - Woo-Hoo!

    I have to mention something that's been bugging me ever since it was introduced in Ch 45. What are Charlie & Mitch thinking? Maybe they're not because neither of them seems to have considered the potentially catastrophic consequences of taking Cindy out of the State of Tennessee! I know the situation type is new to them and pretty unique. I just think that it would get their minds churning with possible scenarios, especially with Charlie being a novelist!

    No criticism Grand, just venting my own frustrations & scenario spinnings. And yes, I'm one of those people that yell at the tv. :-)

    Leave a comment:


  • robb1313
    replied
    Woo-Hoo!

    A two-parter!

    Thanks Grand!

    Leave a comment:


  • Grand58742
    replied
    CHAPTER 47 CONTINUED

    ********************


    Two days later


    Leave a comment:


  • Grand58742
    replied
    CHAPTER 47



    “Are the attorney’s for Tennessee present?” asked the Justice for the Sixth Circuit Court.

    “Present sir,” said the Tennessee Attorney General.

    “And New York?” asked the Justice.

    They were alone in his chambers although he had to be formal and ask anyway. Since the case was unusual, it was held behind closed doors and not put on the docket like most cases heard were. It was another political move for Tennessee in keeping this out of the limelight as much as possible while building their case.

    “No counsel present, please annotate that for the records,” said the Justice to the court reporter. “And as there is no defense present and no evidence was presented that has contradicted the court brief filed by the State of Tennessee, I will rule in favor of the State of Tennessee in the matter regarding Tennessee versus New York Child Protective Services. I hereby order a complete and full investigation by members of the State of New York Police as well as the senior teams from the Child Protective Services in the matter of one Cynthia Grant and her home environment. Based on the evidence presented by the State of Tennessee in a lawful deposition, the home environment for her is completely unacceptable and she must be protected by the New York State authorities.”

    “Additionally, evidence points to corruption on the parts of certain State Agents during the original investigation and I order a complete investigation of them as well. Furthermore, as the State of New York does not seem to care for her welfare, I have ordered her to remain with a foster family in the State of Tennessee until such time as the situation in New York has resolved itself. The family she has been placed in with Tennessee has shown all the good qualities of a stable family life and has promoted her continued emotional and intellectual growth and she should remain there until such time as the investigation is complete. It is my opinion she will continue to stay with them until such time as New York clears the family and its environment. Furthermore, the State of New York seems adamant on sending her back to her family so I believe it’s in her best interests to continue to stay with the foster family in Tennessee until such time as it is deemed safe for her to return.”

    “Please have the order written up for my signature tomorrow morning,” said the Justice as he finished his pro forma speech. The court reported nodded and gathered her things before stepping out to start writing everything up in the unusual case. “Strange they didn’t send anyone down here.”

    “I contacted the New York Attorney General’s Office myself. Said they didn’t have anyone to send and really didn’t care what our courts said,” said the Attorney General.

    “I had my secretary call and inform them of the meeting. They acknowledged the scheduled time, but never stated whether they could come or not. Guess they aren’t coming,” said the Justice.

    “Their loss I suppose,” said the Attorney General.

    “I suppose this will slap them in the face when it gets there and gets filed with the Justice Department and it hits their attorney general,” said the Justice.

    “Unless the Justice sides with them,” said the Attorney General.

    “With the evidence you presented? Probably not,” said the Justice. “Outcome you are looking for?”

    “Get her back to a stable family environment and prosecute the offenders in the case,” said the Attorney General.

    “What are you willing to settle for?” asked the Justice.

    “Nothing less,” said the Attorney General as he had been instructed.

    “Fair enough. That new Governor of yours certainly has some fire doesn’t he?” asked the Justice.

    “That’s putting it mildly,” said the Attorney General.

    “You don’t agree with him?” asked the Justice.

    “Not entirely. I think this is a New York State matter and we shouldn’t be getting involved,” said the Attorney General.

    “Why did you press it so much?” asked the Justice.

    “Because it is what’s right. Although I don’t agree with out State getting involved, I do agree the girl needs to be protected and her father put in jail with the evidence we gathered,” said the Attorney General.

    “Did you ever interview the father?” asked the Justice.

    “We weren’t allowed to and New York has refused all attempts at our agencies to do so,” said the Attorney General.

    “Might have cleared things up easier that way,” said the Justice.

    “Could have, but they were being fairly stubborn and kept on falling back on the original report,” said the Attorney General.

    “Fair enough answer,” said the Justice. “I’ll probably be getting a phone call from Justice over this in a few days.”

    “What are you going to tell them?” asked the Attorney General.

    “To force the issue. Basically, I want to see this one through as well. They can’t argue with the evidence you presented here,” said the Justice.

    “And if they refuse to support the position?” asked the Attorney General.

    “The order will still be legally binding and the matter will have to be resolved at the Supreme Court level. But until it’s heard, the order I impose here will still be binding until heard. You know how long that typically takes and the fact is they will probably side with us as well,” said the Justice.

    “You sure about that?” asked the Attorney General.

    “With the makeup they have? And even the more progressive members will lean our way on this one since it involves a child in danger. It’s hard to be the voice of dissent when it comes down to protecting a child. I’d say probably a six-three or seven-two split,” said the Justice, already forming his opinion on the matter to be passed up the chain.

    “As long as Cindy Grant gets protected,” said the Attorney General as he rose to leave the chambers. One thing was for certain, some of what they had talked about was right, but it certainly wasn’t going to go the way they thought.


    ********************


    “Paging Cindy Gray, paging Cindy Gray. Please meet your family at the customer service register,” said the saleswoman over the intercom in the store. She looked at the worried faces of the man and women in front of her and figured they were about at wit’s end.

    “Charlie,” started Erica.

    “I know,” he said in a tone. Every conceivable bad thing that could happen to her was going through his mind right then, from kidnapping all the way to her lying somewhere hurt.

    “I’m scared something happened to her,” said Erica.

    “I am too Erica,” he said in a worried tone. He was about to pull out his cell phone to call the police when a voice stopped him from behind.

    “Hey, what’s wrong?” asked Cindy as she walked up with Portia Forster.

    “Where have you been?!” demanded Charlie as he took her into a hug.

    “I was outside getting a soda with Portia,” said Cindy, wondering what the fuss was all about. “I ran into her a few minutes ago.”

    “You gave us quite the scare running off like that!” said Erica as she breathed in a sigh of relief.

    “What’s the big deal? I didn’t go anywhere else,” said Cindy.

    “Portia, can you give us a minute alone?” asked Charlie.

    “Sure Mister Gray, bye Cindy,” said Portia as she walked away and wondered what the grownups were all in a fuss about.

    “You wandered off and didn’t tell anyone where you were going! You had Erica and I worried sick that something bad had happened to you!” objected Charlie.

    “I didn’t leave the store and I thought you two would call my cell phone if we got separated,” said Cindy, still confused about why the adults were making a big fuss over this.

    “I tried calling your cell phone!” said Charlie. Cindy pulled out her phone and realized it had gotten switched off in her pocket.

    “Sorry, it got switched off,” said Cindy as she turned the device back on. She noticed eight missed calls, five from Charlie and three from Erica.

    “Sorry? We were worried sick and all you can say is sorry?” demanded Charlie.

    “I didn’t know it was turned off,” said Cindy meekly.

    “I thought someone might have run off with you or you were hurt somewhere. I didn’t know what happened to you!” he said.

    “I really am sorry,” said Cindy meekly again. She hadn’t seen this side of Charlie before and it reminded her of the stages before her father turned to physical violence. She started withdrawing into herself and her posture took on a subdued look as she often had to do with her father.

    “Why don’t we talk about it later, okay?” said Erica as she put her hand on Charlie’s arm. She saw the fear growing in Cindy and knew he needed to be calmed. Cindy still looked worried about the situation.

    “Yes, later would be better,” said Charlie, relieved she was okay. But he didn’t know these words had a different meaning for Cindy.

    “Can we talk about it now? In public?” she asked, worried about the “later” portion of his comment.

    “I’d prefer to do it later after we’ve all calmed down a bit,” said Charlie, wondering what was going on right then.

    “I’d…just rather have people around me when you talk to me about this,” said Cindy quietly.

    “Why?” asked Charlie with a confused tone.

    “I know what ‘talk to you later’ means,” she said quietly. “My father used to say the same thing.”

    “Oh Cindy,” said Erica as she took her into a hug. “Charlie is not your father! He wouldn’t do anything like that!”

    Charlie was confused over the situation until he realized her father used to resort to physical violence behind closed doors. A moment of anger swept over him right then, partially at Cindy since he was still somewhat heated over the fact she had disappeared and she would think he would do such terrible things to her, but more towards her father who would solve problems in an overly physical manner.

    “I wouldn’t ever think of laying a hand on you!” he objected. “Do you honestly think I would do something like that?”

    “I don’t know,” said Cindy quietly.

    Charlie crossed over and grabbed her in a hug after Erica put her hand on his arm again in a nonverbal way of calming him down again. “I would never do anything like that. These were just unfortunate circumstances and I was worried. But you’re safe now and I’m over it. Just please keep your cell phone on from now on.”

    “You aren’t mad?” she asked meekly and looked up at him.

    “No, I’m relieved you are okay,” he said with a smile.

    “You sure? You looked pretty mad,” said Cindy.

    “I’ll be just fine now that I know you’re okay,” he said with another smile.

    Cindy realized again this was not her father standing in front of her, although he would have been a good one. Countless times she had compared the actions of Charlie to him and found her father coming up short. And since she was mainly out of the doghouse for the moment, she smiled back at him. “Sorry for making you two worry.”

    “And I’m sorry for making you remember some things,” said Charlie.

    “Am I going to be grounded or something now?” asked Cindy with half a grin.

    “Cleaning the chicken coops,” said Charlie with a nod and a smile.

    “Ewww, I’d rather take a whipping,” she grinned a little more, relieved she wasn’t going to be beaten.

    “Come on, let’s get your bathing suit and head back home,” said Charlie and ignoring the remark. It infuriated him to think she would get beaten over something so simple. While he was worried sick while she was “missing” he would never think to lay a hand on her over something like that since she turned out okay. They went back to the women’s department and picked up the bathing suit. Heading to the register, Erica grabbed at his hand once again and he squeezed gently as they walked along. She saw the good side of Charlie and knew he was a far better man than most people took him for. And he hoped Cindy saw that as well.


    ********************


    “Did you get the background check I requested?” asked Abdul Ali.

    “Yes, it appears the only family Hassan has left is his brother. If something was to happen to them, Haseena would have to come back to her father,” said the man.

    “No other living relatives?” asked Abdul.

    “None that we can find save some cousins and distant aunts and uncles,” said the man.

    “Any of them likely to step in?” asked Abdul.

    “No, probably not,” said the man.

    “So with the brother out of the picture, it’s certain she would have to be returned to here?” asked Abdul even though he knew for certain.

    “Most likely,” said the man.

    “Good work,” said Abdul as he planned on the eventual outcome of the “accident” he would cause. It wasn’t easy to make it look like an accident without arousing suspicion, but then again, he had a lot of practice in doing so. He walked over to see the Imam and inform him of the situation. “I believe we can gain an advantage here.”

    “How is that?” asked the Imam.

    “By making the relatives of Mohammed Hassan a non-issue,” said Abdul without revealing anything further.

    “And why would we want that again?” asked the Imam.

    “Because it leaves Hassan as the only living relative of Haseena and they would be certain to release her back to her family when it’s all said and done,” said Abdul.

    “This is certain?” asked the Imam.

    “Maybe not certain, but more than likely given the circumstances,” said Abdul.

    “Do what you feel is right,” said the Imam without giving clear orders. But he had been working with Abdul long enough to make his point clear.

    “Insha’ Allah, it will be done” said Abdul, making plans in his head.


    ********************


    “Jack! It’s been far too long!” exclaimed the Director of the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice.

    “That it has Jeff. How’s the wife and kids?” asked the Attorney General of New York.

    “Doing good and growing up. My daughter is considering Syracuse next fall,” said the Director.

    “Tell her to give my office a call. I know the Dean of admissions,” said the Attorney General.

    “I’ll have her do that,” said the Director as he took a seat behind his desk. “What brings you to Washington?”

    “We have a problem we might need your help with,” said the Attorney General.

    “Oh? What kind of problem?” asked the Director.

    “The inter-state kind,” said the Attorney General.

    “Do tell,” said the Director. The New York Attorney General spent several minutes outlining the problems they were currently having with Tennessee, although omitting the parts his friend didn’t need to really know about. They went all the way back to college where they had been inducted into the same fraternity in their freshman year and had kept close since then.

    “And you are telling me Tennessee…the duly elected government of Tennessee is refusing to give this girl up?” asked the Director.

    “In a nut shell, yes,” said the Attorney General.

    “What’s the prognosis on this case?” asked the Director. “And furthermore, why bring it to me?”

    “We only want to see the child returned to her loving family and to see she receives the treatment. Additionally, one of the doctor’s claims she might be suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and possibly needs medical treatment. Additionally, we would request the State of Tennessee bring the family keeping her up on charges of kidnapping and obstruction of justice charges,” said the Attorney General.

    “And why hasn’t this happened yet?” asked the Director.

    “Because they are taking her side and absolutely refusing to see our point of view on the matter,” said the Attorney General.

    “And what does she have to say about this?” asked the Director.

    “Pretty much made some outlandish claims. But since she ran away a second time, we’ve had no contact with her,” said the Director.

    “Say what?” asked the Director.

    “We would have provided it, but the State of Tennessee has kept her location a secret,” said the Attorney General.

    “Have they now? Why is that?” asked the Director, sensing something wasn’t right about the case. But it wasn’t like his friend to bring something to his attention that wasn’t worthwhile.

    “We don’t know,” lied the Attorney General. He knew why Tennessee was keeping the location secret.

    “Do they know you are here?” asked the Director.

    “No, we told them we might have to get the FBI and you guys involved, but they just don’t care,” said the Attorney General. “Plus, we think they might be going to the Sixth Circuit Court.”

    “What good will that do?” asked the Director.

    “They believe they can force the issue by getting a Federal Judge on line with their side,” said the Attorney General. “But they don’t have our side of the story.”

    “Was your office sent a copy of their report?” asked the Director.

    “No, the Tennessee Government has provided no contrary evidence to the original report to my office,” said the Attorney General. It was a stretch of the truth since the report had been sent to the New York State Police and the Child Protective Services. But he also knew there was contrary evidence but ignored that same evidence until they got an outcome they wanted.

    “What’s your ultimate goal here?” asked the Director.

    “To get her back to her family and move on past this. Tennessee is being a royal pain about it and keeps adding fiction to an already grand tale,” said the Attorney General.

    “It almost sounds like kidnapping on a government approved scale,” observed the Director.

    “Yes,” confirmed the Attorney General. He knew his friend was heading the same way he wanted him to go.

    “I haven’t seen anything on the news about this,” remarked the Director. “Normally Wolf News eats this kind of thing up. The talk show hosts love it when two States get into it.”

    “I believe we both want to keep it low key enough and out of the press. No sense in getting the nation in an uproar over something so trivial,” said the Attorney General.

    “Why would they be in an uproar?” asked the Director.

    “Because her parents are Muslims and certain news agencies would play that card in an anti-Islamic fashion. We just want to return the girl to her family and not have to worry about the press beating down our doors,” said the Attorney General. This time he was telling the truth, but from a certain point of view.

    “I could see that based on the circumstances,” said the Director as he looked over the medical report again. “Did we have another doctor take a look at this?”

    “We did, but without interviewing the girl specifically, he cannot make a medical diagnosis. We also passed on that information to Tennessee but are unaware if they had her medically examined,” said the Attorney General.

    “So the proper Tennessee agencies were informed about this?” asked the Director.

    “They were and refused to even hear the matter out,” said the Attorney General.

    “So they are obstructing your investigation and refusing medical treatment to the girl as well?” asked the Director.

    “We can safely assume so,” said the Attorney General.

    “Why?” asked the Director.

    “That’s why I’m here. The Governor and I believe it’s about time to move into the Federal involvement stage,” said the Attorney General.

    “Yes, this is a matter which has gone on long enough,” said the Director.

    “Can we expect the support of your office and the Attorney General?” asked the New York Attorney General.

    “Absolutely! No matter what, the State of Tennessee is wrong for keeping her in that State and not at the very least releasing her into your custody! She needs to be returned to her family immediately and the Governor and whoever else in Tennessee that helped make those decisions should be prosecuted for obstruction to the full extent of the law!” exclaimed the Director. “To think they are withholding medical treatment from that poor girl and keeping her away from her family!”

    “We tried being reasonable, but Tennessee was being obstinate,” said the Attorney General.

    “Well, once we get a hold of them, they’ll be more open-minded,” said the Director. He was sadly wrong on that part. One thing about Southern politics he had never learned. You never, ever tell a Southerner they have to do something they feel won’t be in the best interests. But he was about to get a wake-up call on that little fact.

    “And you’ll talk to the Attorney General?” asked the New York Attorney General.

    “Of course. Tennessee will be lucky to have a Governor after I get done telling him about this,” said the Director with a wry smile.
    Last edited by Grand58742; 06-15-2011, 02:21 AM. Reason: noticed a glaring error

    Leave a comment:


  • 50BMG
    replied
    More Cow Bell ! .......uh I mean more Second Chance!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X