Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Second Chance:
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
keep it comin, can't wait to see how them southern boys deal with those creeps from up in new york. :)
-
CHAPTER 12
“Okay, that about does it for your written statement. Is there anything else you want to add?” asked Jimmy Kellogg.
“No, I can’t think of anything,” said Cindy. “What happens now?”
“Well, this in conjunction with the police report and request will get forwarded to New York. I’ll also take it in front of the judge here and ask for her permission to interject on your behalf and be declared a ward of the State. After that, I’m not sure,” said Jimmy.
“What do you mean?” asked Charlie.
“Well, there’s a good chance she will be sent back to New York. I mean, it’s only proper she be around them for additional interviews and for the reconciliation,” said Jimmy.
“Cindy? Are you comfortable with that?” asked Charlie.
“I want my family protected,” said Cindy, not really answering the question.
“Once this gets into the hands of the New York State Police, it will be handled,” said Jimmy.
“Okay, do I need to go see the judge or anything?” asked Cindy.
“I don’t know yet. I’ll have to call and ask,” said Jimmy.
“In the meantime, you’ve got my number, give me a holler is you need anything,” said Charlie.
“Okay, Miss Grant, it was a pleasure to meet with you and actually do something out of the ordinary,” said Jimmy.
“And you too sir. Thanks for all the help,” said Cindy.
Charlie and Cindy walked out of the lawyer’s office and back to his truck. Once inside, he asked her what was really on her mind.
“Okay, I know I’m young and all, but what happens if I don’t…I mean, what happens if the situation doesn’t solve itself?” asked Cindy.
“Well, there’s always the FBI and other law enforcement agencies. But I’m sure the State Police up there will take care of you,” said Charlie.
“I just want to make sure my family is safe,” said Cindy.
“I’m sure that will be the first thing on their mind,” said Charlie.
“I hope so,” said Cindy.
“If you ever need anything, you call me. Understand?” asked Charlie.
“I will, I promise,” said Cindy as they departed the parking lot. So much to worry about, but hopefully it was on the right track now.
“Well, either way, in case you go in front of the judge, we need to get you a nice outfit,” said Charlie.
“No, I can’t let you do that,” said Cindy.
“I insist,” said Charlie.
“I might end up leaving soon,” said Cindy, realizing it for the first time.
“I understand that, but at the same time, we can’t have you going into the courtroom looking like a rag bag can we?” asked Charlie.
“No, I suppose not,” she replied. “I guess I can’t sway you can I?”
“I’m stubborn, remember?” he asked.
“I suppose so. I guess if you are willing to spend money on me, I should be grateful,” she laughed.
“You’re working for it,” he replied.
“Yeah, that’s true,” she said. “So I guess it needs to be a really nice outfit then.”
“How’s that?” asked Charlie.
“Well, I’m working really hard, I was attacked by chickens, I was forced to split wood and I think I got a splinter or something and the cruel and unusual punishment of forcing me to try all these new and unusual food dishes in the South,” she said with mock dismay. “And now you are forcing me to pick out clothing! Oh the horror!”
“Yeah, right. You like the chickens because they are cute, you volunteered to work hard and to split the wood and you like the foods you’ve been trying,” he said. “Nice try though.”
“Okay, you got me. But I do have a question. What’s a Cheerwine?” she asked.
“It’s kind of like a fizzy cherry drink. You haven’t tried it yet?” he asked.
“No, probably won’t either. I don’t care for cherries,” said Cindy.
“Okay, that’s understandable,” said Charlie.
“So should I get like a dress or like a suit or what?” she asked.
“Honey, you cannot ask my opinion on this. I have no idea what women’s fashions are all about,” said Charlie.
“I was wondering since I’ve never been in court,” said Cindy.
“Well, I haven’t…well, not in a long time that is,” said Charlie.
“Uh huh, got some secrets do you?” she asked with a grin.
“Everyone had skeletons in their closet. In my youth I was kind of a troublemaker,” he said.
“But let me guess, you’ve been an angel since then?” she asked with a laugh.
“Tried to be. Annie set me straight and boy that woman could light a fire under my butt with just a look. So yeah, I calmed down quite a bit once we got involved and more after we got married,” he said with a laugh.
“I hope I didn’t bring up a bad subject,” said Cindy, getting serious for the moment.
“No, it’s okay. It was a long time ago,” he said, still remembering the “look” he would get from his wife when he was not conforming to her socially acceptable standards.
“Any place in particular you want to go shopping?” she asked, changing the subject.
“What’s the best place for women’s clothing?” he asked.
“I don’t know. I saw some things in JC Penny I liked,” she said.
“I guess that’s where we’ll go,” he said.
“It could get expensive,” she said.
‘Well, use your shopping sense and don’t let it,” he said.
They pulled into the Johnson City Mall and parked at the store. Going inside, she made a beeline towards the women’s clothing and started browsing through the different outfits, looking for something nicer to wear in case she had to go into court. She picked out several different things before finally deciding on a conservative dress to try on. She headed into the dressing rooms and emerged several minutes later and asked his approval.
“I think that works,” he said, giving a nod of approval.
“Is it appropriate for the courtroom?” she asked, looking down at the outfit.
“I don’t know, let’s ask someone else,” he said and found another shopper. “Excuse me ma’am. My niece got into a lot of trouble with the law and had to go before the court for sentencing. Do you think this outfit is appropriate to generate sympathy from a hardnosed judge?”
Cindy’s mouth about his the floor at the announcement and she turned beet red. The woman looked at them like they had gone out of their minds, but looked over the outfit. “She’s going to jail?”
“Okay, I’m just kidding. She actually has an interview to get into Yale. Do you think this is acceptable for that?” asked Charlie with a laugh.
“Oh my, I thought you were serious! Yes, that’s a very nice conservative outfit for something like that,” said the woman.
“Okay squirt, you can have it,” said Charlie. Cindy went back into the dressing room to change back out of the outfit.
“That’s your niece?” asked the woman.
“Yes,” said Charlie.
“You all don’t look alike,” said the woman.
“She’s adopted,” said Charlie.
“Uncle Charlie! I wasn’t adopted! I was kidnapped by that traveling circus you were a part of, remember?” called Cindy from the dressing room.
“She’s certainly joking,” said Charlie with a laugh.
“I hope her interview goes well,” said the woman with a laugh.
“She’s a smart one, that’s for certain,” said Charlie.
“It’s nice of you to help your niece pick out a dress for her interview,” said the woman.
“Yeah, I think she’s worth it,” said Charlie.
“That’s nice to hear,” said the woman. “I’m Kathy by the way.”
“Charlie,” he said and took her hand.
“You look familiar, do I know you?” she asked.
“No, I don’t think so,” he said.
“Where are you from?” asked the woman.
“Erwin, more specifically Unicoi,” said Charlie.
“No, I don’t get over there much. You just have a familiar face,” said the woman. Cindy joined the two after emerging.
“I get that a lot,” said Charlie.
“I know I’ve seen you somewhere before,” said the woman.
“I was a writer at one point in time,” said Charlie.
“No, that’s not it,” said Kathy and suddenly a look came across her face. “You are over at the farmers market from time to time!”
“That’s it,” said Charlie with a smile.
“Thought I’d seen you before,” said Kathy with a smile.
“I’m probably going to need a new pair of shoes as well,” said Cindy, interjecting into the conversation.
“Forgot about that,” said Charlie.
“Oh, there are the cutest shoes over on the display rack. Dark blue ones that would go well with that,” said Kathy.
“Awesome,” said Cindy.
“Are you looking for a suit as well? They have some nice ones on clearance,” asked the woman.
“No, this is just for her. I’ve got a few suits already,” said Charlie.
“Well, best of luck to you,” said Kathy.
“Thanks, come on Uncle Charlie, let’s go look at shoes,” said Cindy with a tug at his arm.
“Nice to meet you,” said Charlie.
“And nice to meet you too,” said Kathy as they departed.
“She likes you, or is at least interested enough to want to talk more,” said Cindy after they were out of earshot. “And she’s cute.”
“Nah, she was just being polite,” said Charlie.
“She was flirting with you,” said Cindy knowingly.
“You think so?” asked Charlie.
“Yeah, gave you the ga-ga eyes and everything,” said Cindy with a giggle. “You didn’t notice?”
“Nah, thought she was just being nice,” said Charlie.
“Didn’t see a ring either, so she’s single,” said Cindy. “You should go after her.”
“I’ve got to buy your shoes,” said Charlie.
“You really didn’t notice she was being more than polite?” asked Cindy.
“Didn’t really put that much thought into it,” said Charlie.
Cindy decided to let the matter drop since he was either being dense about it or just didn’t want to notice the attention he was getting from the lady. Cindy went over and started browsing the shoe section. Before long, she was joined by a newfound “friend.”
“Thought I would come over and show you the shoes I was talking about,” said Kathy as she rejoined the two.
“How thoughtful,” said Cindy and looked at Charlie.
“I hope you don’t mind?” asked Kathy as she looked at Charlie.
“Not at all,” he said and had a seat on the chairs.
Kathy pointed out the shoes she had mentioned to Cindy, but kept peeking at Charlie the whole time. Cindy got the shoes from the saleswoman and tried them on, finding them to fit perfectly. While they were away, Cindy turned to Kathy.
“You know, my uncle’s single,” she grinned.
“He’s cute, but I don’t really know him,” said Kathy.
“I can prod him to give you a call if you want,” laughed Cindy.
“No, I’m involved at the moment. But thanks for the offer,” said Kathy.
“Okay, thanks for the advice on the shoes,” said Cindy.
“No problem, hope your interview goes well,” said Kathy as she departed once again.
“Almost had you a date,” said Cindy after Kathy had walked away once again.
“You playing matchmaker?” asked Charlie.
“Nah, I’d let you decide, but I was going to get her number for you,” said Cindy with a grin.
“Come on monkey girl, let’s go check out,” said Charlie with a roll of his eyes.
Cindy and Charlie headed over to the open checkout counter and were waiting in line behind one other person. A lady in front of them had handed over a credit card and was waiting for the transaction to go through. The cashier took the card and ran it through the machine before looking at it strangely.
“I’m sorry, but this card is expired,” she said and turned back to hand it over. The lady looked at her with a blank expression and at the card. She saw the cashier shaking her head and attempting to hand the card back. The lady took the card with a puzzled expression on her face.
“Do you understand?” said the cashier. “Cardo no worko.”
The woman looked at her like she had lost her mind and motioned with her hands, attempting to give the card back again. The cashier looked at her and decided to give her a piece of mind since this was something she had dealt with far too often in recent memory.
“You come into my country and the least you can do is learn my language! You want to come in here and buy things, fine, but at least have the common courtesy to be able to answer simple questions when I tell you I cannot run that card!” she said in a voice bordering on hostility.
The woman in front of the line looked at the cashier with a hurt expression and motioned with her hands again, slightly shrugging her shoulders. She was about to pull out a notepad when Cindy intervened.
“Ma’am, I can help,” she said.
“If you can speak her language, go right ahead,” said the cashier disgustedly.
I can understand you, Cindy said with her hands in American Sign Language.
What is wrong, asked the woman in return.
Your card is expired and she cannot run it, Cindy signed.
“Oh no, she’s deaf?” asked the cashier.
“Yes, some people cannot understand no matter how bad your Spanish might be,” said Cindy with a frown and her eyes narrowed.
“Oh my Lord, I’m so sorry! I didn’t know!” said the cashier to the woman to her front. “Can you tell her I really am sorry?”
The woman made the appropriate hand gestures before Cindy was able to start. “She said she can read lips but you weren’t facing her when you told her the card was expired.”
“That’s right, I wasn’t facing her when I said that,” said the cashier nervously.
The woman made additional hand gestures before digging into her purse and getting another card out and handing it over.
“She said she got a new card in the other day and forgot to take the old one out,” said Cindy. She motioned back to the woman and they both shared a silent laugh. The woman returned a comment and silently laughed as well.
“Please tell her I’m so sorry. I normally have the utmost respect for the handicapped and I didn’t know!” the woman exclaimed.
The woman told Cindy and had a big smile when she was done. Cindy laughed and returned the appropriate comment. “She said she isn’t handicapped, everyone else is since they can’t speak correctly,” said Cindy with a laugh.
“I suppose so,” laughed the woman. “I wish there was a way of taking back what I said.”
The woman told Cindy another message to be translated and Cindy laughed. She returned a response before they both grew large smiles and the woman nodded her head. “She says you could take fifty percent off the price. That would be an acceptable apology.”
The cashier looked at them both with a look of horror before Cindy explained. “It’s just a joke. She was kidding.”
“Oh my, I thought she was serious. With all the lawsuits these days, one never knows,” said the cashier and looked to her side. “I’ll tell you what though. There was a sale that ended yesterday…but I think we can extend it for a day just for her.”
“Just her?” asked Cindy with a playful smile.
“Maybe for you as well,” laughed the cashier nervously.
Cindy told the woman she had twenty percent off her price and the woman signed back her approval. The new card was swiped and the transaction went through without a problem. The woman turned to Cindy and signed once again.
Thank you for your help, she said.
It’s no problem. I haven’t used it in a while so it was good to get back into practice, Cindy said.
You do it very well, said the woman.
I’m afraid I might have a New England accent in my signing though, Cindy said with a laugh.
Yes, I can hear your accent, laughed the woman.
And you sign slower here in the South, much like people talk, said Cindy with a smile.
The woman silently laughed and thanked her once again. She collected her bags and went out of the store, her day brightened just a little bit more. Cindy stepped up and put the outfit on the counter and Charlie paid for the items with the discount. Cindy was again thanked by the cashier for her assistance and exclaimed once again about how foolish she was.
As they were leaving the store, Charlie turned to Cindy. “Full of surprises aren’t you?”
Cindy gave half a grin before shrugging her shoulders and ****ing her head slightly. But her eyes told him she didn’t quite consider it a small issue. She was very proud at that moment, being able to help someone in need. However, she recognized Charlie’s “sign language” as well when he raised his eyebrows slightly and ****ed his head to the side.
“My sister is deaf,” she explained. “So we learned ASL from a young age. Tended to make conversation at the dinner table entertaining on pizza night.”
“I didn’t know that,” said Charlie.
“Never came up before and I never thought to mention it. I guess it’s like when you know a foreign language, you don’t even think about it until you hear it,” said Cindy.
“I’m impressed,” he said as they departed the store.
Two days later
“Looks to be everything…statement, report, request forms, got the meeting with the judge ready to go. It would be nice to have a psychologist talk to her as well. Someone besides your girlfriend,” said Jimmy.
“Fianc
Leave a comment:
-
Dialogue
Some of the better dialogue I've read. Which is "A good thing," 'cuz the story is mostly dialogue.
Please keep it coming. Lucky too.
Leave a comment:
-
CHAPTER 11
“Sir? I’ve got that half day I was asking for today,” said Sarah Brock as she approached her supervisor at the Trooper’s Barracks.
“Yes, you did. Personal business?” he asked.
“Sort of a mix of personal and business,” said Sarah.
“Okay, no problems and you are caught up. Yeah, get out of here,” he said.
“Thanks,” she said and went to the back to change. She was heading straight for Mitch’s house from here and didn’t want to have to change out of her State Patrol uniform after she got there. But since there was dinner afterwards, she did up her makeup and made sure her hair was in order. She didn’t plan of a huge deal for dinner and didn’t get all that dressed up, but the thoughts of spending the evening with Mitch gave her a spring in her step that was recognized by all in the barracks as she gathered her things. While she was finishing up, her cell phone rang.
“Hello?” she asked while grabbing her bag.
“Sarah? It’s Mitch,” he said.
“Hey you! What person forced you to call?” she laughed.
“Nobody, just felt like doing it,” he said.
“Uh huh,” she said.
“Just making sure we are still on for this afternoon and dinner tonight,” he stated.
“We sure are; are you ready though?” she asked.
“For certain,” he said.
“I was about to walk out of the office and head that way. Now the question is, are you ready for tonight?” she asked.
“Ummm, sure,” he said evasively.
“That doesn’t sound very confident Mitchell Brewer,” she laughed.
“Just got a lot on my mind,” he said. “You coming to my place or the courthouse?”
“Where do you want me to show up?” she asked.
“You caused quite the stir at the courthouse. Might as well meet me here and give them something else to gossip about,” he laughed.
“Okay, I should be there within the hour,” she said.
“All righty then, see you in a bit,” he said and hung up the phone.
She ended the call herself and tossed her cell phone in her purse. She was unconsciously smiling about the phone call and how she felt around Mitch. Others in the station saw the look on her face and decided she had a big date that night. But the grin on her face was the ultimate tell to her mood.
“That your sheriff friend?” asked the Captain.
“Yeah,” she said with a smile.
“You know, the way you two beat around the bush, you might never get married,” said the Captain.
“Well, I’m waiting for him to make his move,” said Sarah.
“Might be waiting a while if you are waiting on a man to make up his mind,” laughed the Captain.
“He’ll miss out on a golden opportunity if he waits much longer,” said Sarah.
“Honey, I doubt that. You two are crazy ‘bout each other even if the two of you won’t admit it,” said the Captain.
“Might want to remind him of that fact as well,” said Sarah with a semi frown.
“Oh, give it time, he’ll figure it out,” said the Captain.
********************
“Time to get cleaned up,” said Charlie as he took the last bucket of weeds and tossed them into the composter.
“Why…oh yeah, that lady is coming over,” said Cindy.
“Yep, go ahead and get cleaned up and we’ll do lunch,” said Charlie.
“Do I need to be formal or anything? Dressed up nice?” she asked.
“Nah, just be yourself,” said Charlie.
“I’m not sure is she would appreciate that,” laughed Cindy.
“You know what I mean,” said Charlie.
“I know, stop being so serious,” she said with a grin.
Cindy went to the cabin and got a shower to clean up while Charlie did the same thing in the house. Lunch was a simple affair of a sandwich and chips with Charlie seeing peanut butter and banana was quickly becoming her favorite type of sandwich as she made another one for lunch. He would have to pick up more bananas at the store later, but it was not a big deal as she was getting some healthy foods in her system instead of junk that teenagers typically ate. And for snacks, she preferred the fresh veggies they had taken from the garden as opposed to the other items he had around the house.
They were just finishing up when they heard a honk from the outside and saw Mitch’s truck pulling up with a passenger. They got out and walked up to the porch where they were met by Charlie.
“Hello Mitch. And nice to see you again Sarah,” said Charlie.
“Mister Gray, always a pleasure,” said Sarah.
“Oh, quit being so formal and call me Charlie,” he replied.
“Hello Cindy,” said Mitch as she joined the rest of the group on the porch.
“Hello,” she said and introduced herself to Sarah. “I’m Cindy.”
“Hi, I’m Sarah,” she said, introducing herself to Cindy.
“How are you ya’ll doing?” asked Sarah.
“Can’t complain. Want a glass of tea or something?” asked Charlie.
“Home brewed?” asked Sarah.
“Absolutely,” said Charlie as he disappeared inside and came back with three glasses with ice along with a Diet Pepsi for Cindy.
“Outstanding weather out here lately,” said Sarah. “Must be good for your farm.”
“More or less, I just wish there was more rain,” said Charlie.
“Supposed to be some moving in over the next few days,” said Sarah.
“It’ll be welcome,” said Charlie.
The four sat on the porch and passed the next fifteen minutes in small talk and sipped at their drinks. Cindy noticed Mitch was completely engrossed with whatever Sarah happened to be talking about and vice versa with her. It was like watching some sappy romance novel unfolding on the front porch. Sarah would ask a few questions here and there of Cindy, trying to gauge her reactions along with what her general mood seemed to be. She got a feel for what the interview would be like and would more on as soon as the socializing finished up. Charlie sensed the pleasantries were finished up and moved on.
“You all already have something to eat?” asked Charlie.
“Yes, sure did,” said Mitch.
“I ate before I came over to see Mitch,” said Sarah.
“You want to talk to Cindy here or in the house?” asked Charlie.
“In the house if that’s okay,” said Sarah. “You knew about this already, right?”
“Yes, we talked about it,” said Cindy nervously.
“Sarah won’t bite, at least the first trip out,” laughed Charlie.
“Come on inside sweetie, let’s talk,” said Sarah as she stood and motioned at Cindy with her head. Cindy followed her into the living room area and sat down on the edge of the couch, looking fairly nervous about the whole ordeal.
“So how are you really doing?” asked Sarah.
“I’m okay I guess. Relaxed for the first time in a while,” said Cindy with a fake grin. She was still a bit hesitant around strangers…all except Charlie.
“Sweetie, I’m going to tell you exactly why I’m here. Mitch called me up the other day and asked me to come over. I’m a certified counselor. I minored in it from ETSU and Charlie and Mitch wanted me to talk to you,” said Sarah.
“A shrink?” asked Cindy.
“No, just someone to talk to if you would like; off the record if you want it to be. Poor Charlie and Mitch are in way over their heads and asked me to help. Sometimes it’s better for us girls to talk you know?” she asked.
“True, men have a hard time understanding complicated things,” said Cindy with a laugh.
“You’re pretty smart for your age, already have men figured out,” laughed Sarah.
“Charlie’s a pretty smart guy, but I know what you mean. It’s hard for me to open up to him,” said Cindy.
“Well, I’m here to talk to if you want. I understand you’ve been through some pretty rough times and sometimes it helps to talk,” said Sarah.
“I mean, sometimes it’s hard to say what you want to say,” said Cindy.
“True, but at the same time, you sometimes have to say what’s on your mind. It helps if you get it out,” said Sarah.
“Can I ask a question?” asked Cindy.
“Of course,” said Sarah.
“You really like Mitch don’t you?” asked Cindy.
“How did you know?” asked Sarah.
“The way you look at him. I mean, he looks the same way at you when you aren’t looking, so it’s mutual,” said Cindy.
“Yeah, I do like him…a lot,” said Sarah with a sigh.
“You ever just tell him?” asked Cindy.
“I’m made some not so subtle hints to that effect. But it’s hard for me to open up to him,” said Sarah.
“Why don’t you just tell him?” asked Cindy.
“I don’t know. Old fashioned I suppose. It’s kind of the man’s place to start that sort of conversation,” said Sarah.
“Want me to pass a note after gym class?” asked Cindy with a twinkle in her eye.
Sarah looked at her and started laughing. She knew what Cindy was getting at and appreciated her own little piece of advice right then. “So you feel up to talking?”
“Actually, I do. Where do you want to start?” asked Cindy.
“How about wherever you want to start,” said Sarah.
“Am I supposed to lay down on a couch or something?” asked Cindy with a nervous laugh.
“If it makes you feel better. And I can get a leather bound notepad and write everything down while smoking a pipe or something,” laughed Sarah.
“How about we start three years ago when my father decided to be a Muslim,” said Cindy as she slumped over into the chair.
********************
“That is a pretty piece of wood,” observed Mitch as he looked over the piece of Bastogne.
“Yeah, nice if I say so myself. Going to make a pretty stock,” said Charlie.
“What do you think is going to happen with Sarah and Cindy?” asked Mitch.
“Well, you know Sarah better than I do,” said Charlie.
“She’s good with people. Doesn’t seem to have the problems with people just talking to her and opening up,” said Mitch.
‘Well, Cindy does need someone she can just open up to. She mentioned physical abuse at the lawyer’s office the other day,” said Charlie.
“She didn’t say anything about that to us,” said Mitch.
“No, which kind of worries me. What else don’t we know?” asked Charlie. “Mind holding the other end?”
‘No, don’t mind at all,” said Mitch, watching Charlie get the band saw set up. “Are you asking in a good way or a bad way?”
“Depends on how you look at it. I mean, if she held back the physical abuse, what else would she hold back on us?” asked Charlie.
“I hope nothing important. Talked to your Kellogg friend yesterday and he gave me an earful. Which reminds me, I’ve got some paperwork for you to sign in the truck,” said Mitch.
“Yeah, he mentioned what we were doing wasn’t exactly entirely legal,” said Charlie.
“But not illegal. It’s nice to have a lawyer playing ball with us,” said Mitch.
“Enough of them don’t, I suppose,” said Charlie as he flipped on the saw and started sliding the piece of walnut through the saw. Mitch was ready to catch the pieces on the other side as they came through and had put on a pair of safety glasses. The saw cut through the piece fairly effortlessly and split it into two pieces roughly the same size.
“You know, you just might be able to get two out of this,” said Mitch.
“I was thinking the same thing. It’s a fairly large piece,” said Charlie. “I wondered if it would cut right.”
“He want that other piece back?” asked Mitch.
“Well, he originally wanted a matching pair for Mack and Toby. I told him I probably wouldn’t have the time. Might, might not, but I’ll give it a go,” said Charlie.
“Have to get Toby measured up. That kid grew like a weed this past spring and summer,” said Mitch.
“Sure did, but for matching pairs, the same length won’t hurt. Besides, they have about the same build,” said Charlie, looking at the piece and getting ready for the second cut. Again the machine was flipped on and the ends were trimmed off both pieces. Charlie made two more cuts before looking at the ends and calling it good for the moment. There was still one more cut to be made and then the detailed craftsmanship would be started.
“Plans after this?” asked Charlie.
“I’ve got to take Sarah to dinner and a nice place to watch the sunset,” said Mitch.
“Kind of romantic if I may say so myself,” chuckled Charlie.
“Don’t you start in on me Charlie. I made a promise to her,” said Mitch.
“The beauty spot would be nice. Kind of a long drive though after dinner,” suggested Charlie.
“That’s an outstanding idea. I don’t know if she’s ever been up there,” said Mitch.
“Have you ever just gone right out and told her how you feel? I know you like her, why not just say it?” asked Charlie.
“I wouldn’t want her to give up her job. She’s making good money with the State Troopers and she might consider giving that up to be with me,” said Mitch.
“Don’t you think that’s her decision to make?” asked Charlie.
“Yeah, but I’d feel bad about it,” said Mitch.
“And I suppose your fianc
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: