Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Chance:

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grand58742
    replied
    CHAPTER 59



    “So what does this mean exactly?” asked the anchorman on the news show.

    “Well, it means just that. Tennessee has taken the stance this is a State issue and doesn’t involve the Federal Government. And they have backed up their claims with actual deeds, not just words. They are falling back on the Tenth Amendment as this is an issue to be resolved between States and rightly so,” said the Constitutional expert on call for the show. A scoff was heard off camera and the view changed to the second individual.

    “You disagree James?” asked the anchorman.

    “I do indeed. This falling back on the Tenth Amendment thing gets old. There are Federal Laws in place for the child endangerment and abuse along with their protection. This certainly can become a Federal matter quickly since the two States are disagreeing,” said the second man, another expert in Constitutional Law and government.

    “These rules are regulations, which I take it you are referring to the Federal Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act, does not give the Federal Government any powers they are currently taking for themselves. It is intended to assist States with preventing child abuse and neglect, not dictating terms on what need to be done,” said the first, a man named Ronnie Case.

    “But in this case, two States are disagreeing. It is the role of the Federal Government to intercede and to assist in resolving this difference,” said James Irwin.

    “And I would agree, but not the Executive Branch. It should be up to the U.S. Supreme Court to hear the matter. Both State Supreme Courts have issued their rulings as well as the Sixth Circuit Court. So in this case, it needs to go before the Supreme Court to be resolved,” said Ronnie.

    “But until such time, the child needs to go back to the State of New York and into their custody!” said James.

    “And back into a potentially explosive situation? New York has already released their investigation in the matter. They say there isn’t any danger. Now the case is ongoing, but they feel comfortable releasing the girl back into her home. Additionally, they cannot find the parents of the child in question for further interviews or the original investigating agent. But this is even after the independent investigation released by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. They make far different claims,” objected Ronnie.

    “Which they were not supposed to do to begin with,” said James.

    “Quite possibly it was illegal, but at the same time, here is where the Federal Government should have helped. They could have and should have made a neutral investigation into the matter, but chose to endorse one of the two investigations in the matter,” said Ronnie.

    “But the fact of the matter is, one State cannot just go and take a child away from another State! The girl is a minor and cannot make those decisions on her own yet!” exclaimed James.

    “Courts have been ruling on the concept of children ‘divorcing’ their parents for a number of years now. I’m not saying it’s right, but the courts have determined some children have the right to choose. Now we have a girl who has claimed religious persecution as well as potential sexual abuse. Are you one to send her back into that environment and take a chance of it happening or would you rather err on the side of caution? Would you allow it to happen to a member of your own family” demanded Ronnie.

    The second man was quiet at the question and his silence spoke volumes. And public opinion was swaying largely towards Tennessee in the matter. With the general outcry over Muslims and their actions in the United States, more and more people were being drawn into sides in the matter. But the White House wasn’t backing down on the matter. The President had taken the side of the New York State Government and demanded the child be returned. But the anchor didn’t bring that up right then as he had other topics to cover before the show ended.

    “With all the rhetoric being thrown around, what will be the outcome of this?” asked the anchorman.

    “It’s simple, one side eventually has to blink in this matter,” said Ronnie.

    “By blink you mean?” asked the anchorman.

    “The last time this same language about States’ Rights starting flowing so freely was in 1860. And eventually someone blinked there as well,” said Ronnie.

    “Are you saying a civil war could break out over this child? Something so simple?” asked James.

    “I personally believe the historical examples are showing us what we need to see. The patterns in the days prior to the breakup of the Union are eerily similar. You had a lot of States clamoring for their rights in accordance with what the founding fathers had in mind. Today, States are fed up with the Federal Government getting involved in their lives. As well as the people of the Union as we know it. Far too many voices are being heard this day saying the Federal Government is too large to effectively control by the common people. They are fed up with being taxed and the government spending money it doesn’t have. Just look at how the elections turned out. The people wanted change and they spoke their minds. Probably going to be the same thing in 2012 during those elections. They want their representatives in the government to put a stop to some of the madness going on. And Congress has the opportunity to put a stop to the disagreement here, but they are failing to do so,” said Ronnie.

    “This could lead to civil war?” asked the anchor.

    “No, but it most certainly could lead to the breakup of the Union. I’m not saying it will, but the historical examples show us it is a possibility. And in turn, we have no idea where that would take us,” said Ronnie.

    The anchor looked at James for a rebuke, but the look on his face was one of agreement and not of his typical arrogance for anything the talking head had to say. It was an unusual circumstance for the anchor as these two were typically at each other’s throats during the broadcast, but this time, the uncomfortable silence meant the station needed to take a break.

    “We’ll be back with Ronnie Case and James Irwin after an update from our news desk,” said the anchor as the camera cut to commercial and to the headline news desk in another studio. “Well, you two certainly have gotten our attention.”

    “I hate to say it,” began James. “But Ronnie is right. The historical examples are there for us to see.”

    “But you don’t believe this outcome will result in a civil war?” asked the anchor.

    “No, I don’t believe that and I don’t believe Ronnie does either. But it is a potential course,” said James. “Not very realistic, but it is potential. And of course, this gets your network more exposure as well as the idea getting thrown around the public. Nice to see you can still shape history from a news cast.”

    “And the fact the Federal Government has cut off funding to a State? While not specifically illegal, it’s certainly not the best course of action,” said Ronnie.

    “And this is something I agree with as well. You don’t cut off your nose to spite your face,” said James.

    “I can’t ever remember a time you two have agreed on anything,” said the anchor with a chuckle.

    “We both like horses,” laughed Ronnie who actually got along with his counterpart off screen even though they were as opposite as day and night politically.

    “And the sky is blue,” said James.

    “Yeah, and the Tooth Fairy is playing poker with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny this weekend during prime time,” laughed the anchor.


    ********************


    …And in other regional news. West Virginia State Police arrested a half dozen members of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms today in a raid near Charleston. The Agents were on a stakeout near an alcohol production facility when they were detained and arrested by the police forces for exceeding their federal charter and conducting an illegal raid. The facility, contracted by West Virginia University, is producing ethanol for studies in alternative fuels research and has been for the past nine years. BATF spokesman claimed the contractor was operating the facility without a proper Federal license and had received reports of the individual selling moonshine. West Virginia State Officials say the facility was under the supervision of and regulated by the State Department of Agriculture and no Federal laws were broken since the alcohol produced was not being transported over State lines.

    Washington is still demanding the release of the twenty-nine FBI agents arrested in the early morning sweeps in Knoxville Tennessee. The Agents, members of the Hostage Rescue Team, were on ground and actively searching for Cindy Grant also known as Haseena Hassan. The Tennessee Governor stated he is making good on his promises to exclude any Federal intervention in the custody battle between the State of New York and Tennessee and vows to continue arresting Agents and Officials as they enter the State. Local FBI and other Federal Agencies have already been evicted from their offices and have been ordered out of the State of Tennessee. The President had no comment, but the White House Press Secretary stated “other options are being considered for the release of the Federal Agents unlawfully detained as well as putting a stop to this insurgency within the State of Tennessee. Law and order will prevail.”

    A total of eighty-eight Federal Agents and Officers have been detained in the past week since the announcement by the Tennessee Governor. Additionally, another six States have joined the coalition objecting to the Federal intervention in the Grant case, bringing the total to twenty-three. Alaska, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, Vermont and Colorado all made press announcements stating their desire for the Federal Government to back off the situation and would stand by Tennessee and other members of the coalition if the need arose. Federal funding has already been cut off to the majority of the States who have already joined the coalition and it is likely the funding will be cut off to the newly joined States as well. The Speaker of the House made this announcement yesterday in response to the additional withholding of funds:

    “The President has abandoned all sense of reality by withholding the people’s money! It is not his money to withhold! It is our money, the people’s money! I called the Governor of Ohio this morning and told him Congress would not object to his plans to stop the flow of tax dollars to Washington. Even if it means I’m not getting paid, the taxes you pay need to stay where you pay them. I encourage ALL States to follow the lead of Tennessee, Alabama, Texas and Oklahoma in stopping all Federal taxes from being sent to the government. Eventually the coercion of withholding Federal funds will be an empty threat since he won’t have the money to withhold anymore. We can and will starve the beast if all States join together and stop sending your hard earned money to Washington.”

    The White House had no comment for the remarks of the Speaker. However, the Minority Leader of the House stated he was “out of line and should be admonished.” She introduced a vote containing the same verbiage as the previous admonishment of a Representative after an outburst during a joint session of Congress. After she began speaking, she was interrupted and shouted down by several members of the opposite party. It took nearly ten minutes for order to be restored before the motion was voted down by a voice vote.

    In a poll conducted yesterday, 83% of Americans support the decision made by Tennessee in the matters concerning Cindy Grant. 7% said the State was in the wrong and 10% were unknown. Thousands of e-mails, letters and phone calls have been received by the Governor’s office in Nashville. Additionally, ‘Sheriff First’ legislation has been introduced in another eleven States today, bringing the total to thirty seven States with the legislation on the agenda. Nine States have already voted the measures in full and California has called for a special referendum and vote on the matter. The White House had no comment for the poll numbers or the legislation.

    Cindy Grant still has yet to be found by government officials as they are still searching for her in the State of Tennessee. They claim to have promising leads, but have yet to identify the precise location where she is being held. FBI Spokesman…


    “It’s hard being a celebrity you know?” said Cindy very sarcastically as the news on the radio continued in the background.

    “Fifteen minutes of fame, the rest of your life either wanting more or wishing it never happened,” said Charlie. “Three-eighths.”

    “You’re still pretty popular,” said Cindy handing down the ratchet and socket.

    “I suppose so. The books still sell,” he said while trying to fit the bolt into the socket. He found it too small and handed the socket back up. “Swap that for a seven-sixteenths.”

    She found the appropriate socket and handed it under the car to him. “Can I ask a personal question?”

    “Like something’s ever stopped you before?” he chuckled and found the bolt fit perfectly. He started ratcheting it down with a regular driver.

    “Why did you stop writing?” asked Cindy.

    “Dunno, just lost the desire for it after Annie died. Sat behind a computer for close to a year and never could think of a darn thing to write,” he said and grunted at the bolt he had tightened most of the way down. She didn’t realize he was working on another novel in his spare time. “Torque wrench.”

    “Never wanted to get back into it?” she asked and handed down the appropriate tool, not realizing he had been hard at work on a new novel.

    “Maybe, but farming keeps me way too busy these days,” said Charlie.

    “I started reading one of your books the other day. Not bad, but too manly for my tastes,” she laughed.

    “I had some women fans,” he objected.

    “Just because they were star struck doesn’t count. Some women will chase anyone they think is a celebrity,” she laughed.

    “And not for my good looks and charm?” he laughed.

    “I suppose you have some endearing traits besides your writing abilities,” she laughed.

    “Might I remind you there ain’t a cornucopia of women hanging around the edge of the driveway stalking me,” he laughed. “Flathead screwdriver.”

    “Which one?” she asked.

    “Ummm, give me the one quarter,” he said. “So yeah, I guess most of those women fans were quick to turn to someone else once my books went off the best seller list. I suppose I’m old news and not very worthy of being stalked these days.”

    “Did you forget about Mary Worthington? I think I’ll put in a good word for you and invite her over for dinner one night,” laughed Cindy as she located the screwdriver and swapped it out with the wrench he handed up.

    “Just remember, if we hit it off, who’s to blame? And just imagine the breakfast conversations,” said Charlie.

    “And what would Erica think?” asked Cindy.

    “I think she’s been pretty patient with me so far. If I was to do something stupid like that, she would have both our heads on a platter,” he said as he made a minor adjustment.

    “Okay, maybe not such a good idea,” laughed Cindy.

    “With age comes wisdom young lady. All us old guys aren’t dumb,” he chuckled.

    “Just most of them,” she said with her sassy tone. He reached out and smacked the back of her leg with the belt he was getting ready to install on the motor. Not a full fledged hit, but playfully tapped her enough to get her attention.

    “Owww!” she exclaimed through gritted teeth.

    “One thing to remember, you might think we’re dumb, but we’re crafty and sneaky in our old age,” he said with a chuckle and went back to working on the engine.

    “Not fair! You had that belt ready to go!” she exclaimed.

    “Like I said, sneaky like,” he chuckled.

    “You may be sneaky, but brute force wins every time. I’ve got all the tools up here including the hammers,” she said.

    “Okay, I give up. But a personal question for you. I haven’t really heard you talk about boys and all. I know it’s kind of a thing girls typically talk about with other girls, but I haven’t even seen you make gaga eyes at any of the boys that came around except Toby,” said Charlie.

    “I don’t know, just kind of given up on the male side of the species for the moment,” she said.

    “And Toby?” he asked.

    “Toby’s a nice guy. Cute and all, but he doesn’t talk! He seems like a nice guy any girl might want, but he never talks to me. Just gives me that silly shy grin all the time,” she replied.

    “You ever try to start a conversation?” asked Charlie.

    “Plenty of times, but he’s just far too shy,” Cindy replied.

    “So you are interested?” he asked.

    “I guess. I mean, the thought of a boyfriend is okay I guess, but I guess I’m old fashioned enough for him to make his move first,” she said. “I guess I’d just rather be his friend for the moment.”

    “You might be waiting quite a while for him to make a move,” he said with a grunt as he tightened another bolt.

    “Why are boys so dumb?” she asked.

    “I can’t answer that without being prejudicial in my reply,” he laughed.

    “I mean, at least with Nate Jones I know where he stands. But with Toby, who knows if he likes me or not? I think he does, gave me a shirt and we kissed that one time, but nothing since then. Boys could drive women insane,” she said dramatically.

    “The same could be said of women you know,” he replied.

    “Not us! We’re angels!” she said innocently.

    “Honey, women could drive men up the wall all day long. If it wasn’t for scientific evidence saying otherwise, I would say you all are a completely different species,” he laughed.

    “And the same could be said for most of the men I’ve encountered for the past few years,” she said.

    “Understandable, but we all ain’t like…them,” he said.

    “No, you’ve restored my faith somewhat,” she said.

    “Well, I can sleep better at night,” he said with a laugh. “Arc joint pliers.”

    “Which are those again?” she asked.

    “The ones with…kind of looks like the jaws are off at an angle. One handle is bent up like a hockey stick,” he said, thinking of a way to describe them.

    “Which one?” she asked and handed down a set of arc joint and vise grips. She didn’t know which one in particular since she was still learning the tools of the toolbox. She knew what most of the tools were, but every once in a while one escaped her.

    “Those, but the smaller ones,” he said, tapping the tool as he looked at it.

    “So yeah, I’ve come to realize all men aren’t horrible,” she said after grabbing the proper set.

    “Some can be downright mean when it comes to it. But I think you know this already,” he said.

    “I know, I guess I’m like any girl my age, looking for the perfect man,” she said.

    “Ain’t no such thing sweetheart,” he grunted as he tightened another bolt. “Hand me the ratchet again with that seven-sixteenths.”

    She located the tool and handed it down. “So you’ve never met a perfect man or woman in your life?”

    “Don’t think there is such a thing as a perfect woman either. I think it’s the imperfections we love more than what we think is the ‘best’ qualities,” he said.

    “Very profound,” she said.

    “It’s true,” he said and worked on another bolt. “So no boy bands crashing my property?”

    “Nah, they aren’t my type,” she said with a laugh.

    “And your type is?” he asked.

    “Dunno, I’m kind of young and all. Figured I’d try ‘em all out to figure out which one I liked the most,” she said.

    “Mind you I will not be having boys sneaking onto my farm after dark young lady,” he warned from below the car.

    “You go to bed early you know,” she said.

    “I’m a light sleeper,” he laughed.

    “Don’t worry about it, I’m being good. It’s hard being Little Miss Proper, but eventually I’ll have my day,” she laughed.

    “The things I put up with,” he chuckled from under the car.

    “But another question. Why haven’t you taken the next step with Erica?” asked Cindy.

    “Just never have. I guess I just haven’t pushed it to that next level yet,” said Charlie. “I mean, we haven’t been together that long either so it’s kind of a stretch to imagine engagement.”

    “Afraid of commitment?” asked Cindy.

    “No, just haven’t taken it to the engagement level yet,” said Charlie.

    “You think you ever will?” asked Cindy.

    “Maybe, I don’t know. She’s made her feelings quite apparent for me,” he said with another grunt.

    “But you haven’t for her?” asked Cindy.

    “I didn’t say that,” said Charlie. “We’ve talked about it.”

    “You two are good together. A blind man could see that in a heartbeat,” observed Cindy.

    “We do get along very well. I just…I don’t know,” said Charlie.

    “What?” asked Cindy.

    “I just guess I’m afraid of going through the hurt all over again,” said Charlie honestly. “I could imagine us growing old together very content with our lives, but I’m afraid of getting hurt or even hurting her.”

    “You’re afraid of something?” asked Cindy.

    “Never said I was the bravest man on the planet,” he remarked.

    “I beg to differ. Anyone who takes in a poor lost teenage girl out of the kindness of their heart is somewhat brave,” she chuckled.

    “There is that,” laughed Charlie.

    “So I should set up a romantic dinner for the two of you and hope for an eventual outcome?” she asked with a laugh.

    “Playing matchmaker again?” he asked with a grunt as he tightened down a bolt.

    “Nope, just being me,” she said and he imagined she had her silly grin on her face.

    “Suppose I could call up the Jones boys and ask them to come over and help out. They’ve got a thing for old engines,” said Charlie.

    “You play dirty, you know?” she said after a moment of reflection.

    “Nah, just crafty,” he chuckled. “Torque wrench again.”


    ********************


    “Frank? Frankie Tidwell?” asked Dianna Grant as she went through the supermarket. She was being escorted as par for the course, but had broken off grabbing a few specific items

    “I’m sorry?” he asked, looking at the women in the full niqāb standing to his front.

    “It’s Diana Grant,” she said and pulled up the veil.

    “Diana! It’s been forever!” he said. “What are you doing in New York?”

    “Visiting some friends,” she said. “And you?”

    “Wow, I never expected to find you here,” he said and motioned at her attire. “I have to ask.”

    “I’ve converted to Islam along with Stephen,” said Diana.

    “To answer your question, I got a job here. Shift manager at one of the hotels,” said Frankie, accepting the explanation in stride. He saw plenty of odd things in his job and it was no big deal as she was still the same person inside.

    “I thought you were in Oregon, or at least were the last time we saw each other,” she said.

    “I was, but had to move back here on account of my parents since they aren’t doing well. They retired over in Pennsylvania and this was the closest place I could get a job,” he informed her. “And you two? How is the family?”

    “We’re doing good,” said Diana.

    “And the kids?” asked Frankie, being polite.

    “Good,” said Diana guardedly.

    “Wow, I still can’t believe I ran into you in New York City of all places,” he said. “And besides the veil, you look great.”

    “You haven’t changed a bit either,” said Diana. “Still not married?”

    “Just can’t seem to keep Miss Perfect in my sights. Something in my life goes haywire and the opportunity slips away,” he said.

    “And I thought you were engaged the last time we spoke,” she replied.

    “I was, but since I went to Afghanistan for a year with the Reserves, it kind of ruined what might have been a good relationship,” said Frankie.

    “I’m sorry,” she replied.

    “Not your fault. Halfway around the world and a year apart is a hard sell on a prospective bribe to be. So it just didn’t work out,” said Frankie.

    “You’ll find someone eventually,” said Diana.

    “I’m sure,” he said. “Hey, I’ve got to run, but we should hook up for lunch or something sometime and catch up. You should bring Stephen along as well.”

    “He’s out with a job right now,” she replied.

    “Okay, just the two of us. No big deal, right?” he asked. “Just friends.”

    “I’ll see if I can make it,” said Diana as she took the telephone number from him and put it in her pocket. They shook hands and departed, with her putting the niqāb back on before meeting back up with the group. But even as she wandered down the aisle, she was being watched by another member of the community. And he would report her goings on to the leadership of his community and furthermore, the report would make its way back upstate.

    Leave a comment:


  • shooter
    replied
    Grand,

    How many ways can you say Great story, outstanding writing, the whole work is just OUTSTANDING! I second the notion that if have paid good money for books that were no where near as good as yours. How can we help you do this for a living?

    Thank you for your time and the hard work,

    Frank Fehmel
    Shooter

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr.Grey
    Guest replied
    Thanks for the updates, what a great story. I never thought the stakes would get this high!

    Leave a comment:


  • cookie4u1
    replied
    Just wanted to let you know this story is so much better than alot of the books that I have been paying for. Thanks for your talent....mark

    Leave a comment:


  • overbore
    replied
    The General is demonstrating that an officers' oath is to the Constitution not to a wannabe and his minions. Pray that your excellent fiction becomes the framework and outstanding-upstanding example for others to follow. Once a few begin to stand others will follow the good example of courage and also pray that it happens before the ballot box becomes mute as the next box is not mutable.

    Laus Deo
    overbore

    ps: suffice to say ONCE AGAIN SUPERB WRITING!!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Firestorm
    replied
    I sure hope we have stars of all kinds when it HTF

    GREAT STORY GRAND Thanks again!

    Leave a comment:


  • RVN11B
    replied
    Grand, you write one great fighting speech! And not one word did I disagree to!

    Man this is a great story!
    Last edited by Grand58742; 08-30-2011, 06:17 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pop_45
    replied
    Sweet move by Tenn. And good for the general. Thanks Grand, great chapter as always.

    Leave a comment:


  • 610Alpha
    replied
    Got to love a 4 Star that has got a pair and not in his wife's purse!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Grand58742
    replied
    CHAPTER 58 CONTINUED

    ********************


    The senior agent of the FBI

    Leave a comment:


  • Grand58742
    replied
    CHAPTER 58



    The former New York State Agent Steven Waters was relaxing on the beach in Greece after he had taken the advice of the Imam and skipped the country. In a rush, he had cleared his four bank accounts (TBI had missed one during their investigation), sold off his new car for cash and taken the remainder of the money he had hidden in his house. While $600,000 wouldn’t last him a lifetime, it would at least get him started on a new life wherever he happened to end up. Plus he had his various stock certificates, mutual funds and other items that would continue producing even in his absence. After being met at the airport by a friend of the Imam, he had been told to stay in the hotel room they had already paid up for a week and wait to be contacted for official travel arrangements to another country. He sincerely hoped he wasn’t heading for a strict Islamic country as he liked his beer and women too much and didn’t want to give them up so easily.

    While he was busy sunning himself on the beach, surrounded by the tourists from the various European nations, he kept eyeballing the local women and wondered why he hadn’t noticed the Greek nationality before. The Mediterranean features appealed to him as he continued to watch them in the water and walking down the beach.

    A nearby vendor brought over the drinks he had ordered minutes before, handing it down with a napkin wrapped around it. A double shot glass followed with a local liqueur he had not ordered.

    “I didn’t order this,” said the former Agent.

    “No sir, it is, how you say, a promotion item?” said the waiter in a heavy accent.

    “What is it?” he asked as he sniffed at it. A fruit smell came from the shot glass.

    “A special blend of one of our local people. Some say…what is English words…it is to die for?” said the waiter.

    “Okay, I’ll give it a try, put the rest on my tab,” said Waters as he dismissed the man. His friends had put him up in fairly nice accommodations and he was taking full advantage of the beachside bar the hotel offered. Taking a sip of the mixed drink, he sat it off to the side and watched as the women continued to frolic in the surf and sand. He picked up the shot and eyeballed it before sniffing once again. A rich fruity smell gave him all the reason to give it a try and he swallowed the shot quickly. It was a mix of something apple and another fruit he couldn’t identify, but entirely yummy. It is to die for like he said. I need to find a bottle of this, he thought as he looked at the empty shot glass. He chased it down with a sip from the Bloody Mary and went back to his girl watching.

    Several minutes passed and he broke out into a sweat. It was warm out that day, but he felt hot from the inside and out. Suddenly his insides felt like they were burning up and a pain was felt in his jaw. As he was starting to stand up, his chest became tight and he could feel his heart thump over and stop. Clutching at his chest, he couldn’t even draw in a breath to call out for help. He collapsed back into the chair, fighting for a breath and wishing for his heart to start beating once again. In a last struggle, he managed to roll out of his chair and onto the sand where a blanket sat for lying in the sun. Paralysis was quickly taking over his body and his vision was narrowing and becoming blurry. Before he slipped away into the darkness, his last thoughts were it literally was to die for…

    “It is done,” said the waiter simply into the telephone before dropping the tray off on the outdoor bar and walking away. The remainder of the poison had already been disposed of in the sand and the ordinary looking glass bottle tossed in the nearby recycle can. He reached into his pocket and found the spare card swipe key for the hotel room they had passed on before the Waters had even checked into the hotel. After an extensive sweep of the room, he finally found the bag hidden with the nearly $600,000 in cash. Zipping it back up, he departed the hotel room to make his journey by boat back to Lebanon. Eventually after taking his quarter cut of the money, the remainder would be sent back to New York to the Imam. The man would wait for further profitable jobs as they came along and live his life in the gray areas he was used to.

    All the while, Waters continued to lie dead on the ground, looking for the world like he was sunning. He was eventually found in the afternoon by a tourist who was concerned about the sunburn on his back.


    ********************


    “The dog problem has been taken care of,” said the Imam. “It had to be put to sleep.”

    “It had served its purpose,” said Abdul.

    “And the schooling for the family? How is that going?” asked the Imam.

    “Fairly well. My little brother is getting the best marks,” said Abdul.

    “And how long until he is ready to progress to the next grade?” asked the Imam.

    “Soon. He is more or less ready now, but I would feel more comfortable with increased studies,” said Abdul. “And the search for a college?”

    “It going slowly. We haven’t found the best location yet,” said the Imam.

    “Perhaps I need to make a few visits myself,” said Abdul.

    “Maybe, but we are still checking other schools,” said the Imam.

    “Until then,” said Abdul and ended the call. He knew the chances of the call being traced were good and they planned to move the camp at this point. Heading inside, he found several of the man brought up watching an old TV show and drinking the majorly sweet tea. “We need to get ready to move.”

    “Good, it is getting a little cold here,” said one of the group.

    “And my problem?” asked Mohammed Hassan.

    “Is no longer a problem,” said Abdul as he went to pack his things.


    ********************


    “These people are not unusual if we were in Afghanistan or Iran. But here?” asked Rindo Chelki.

    “Yeah, that’s why I brought you in on this,” said the contractor.

    “We know the parents are missing. Your contacts in New York have said that much. We know there are two other children, but we are not sure where they are,” said Rindo.

    “You think they would be in some sort of danger?” asked the contractor.

    “Maybe the daughter. The son should be okay,” said Rindo.

    “Why not the son?” asked the contractor.

    “Because the son is a male and won’t have the harm put to him like the daughter would. She is coming of age and will be in a position to be wedded to one of those men before long,” said Rindo.

    “So what should we do?” asked the contractor.

    “Get the daughter and mother out if we can. Again, we know the parents are missing, but they might be hiding her,” said Rindo.

    “Just like that?” asked the contractor.

    “If it was your daughter in there and faced what those perverts would do to her, would you hesitate to remove her?” asked Rindo. “The same for the wife.”

    “Yes, I see your point,” said the contractor. “So how do we do it?”

    “I would go in undercover, but my face is on the news too much. Better to snatch her out and put her with someone you trust,” said Rindo.

    “And this won’t cause problems with the current situation?” asked the contractor.

    “Maybe it will…you are right, perhaps now isn’t the best time to remove the two from the equation,” said Rindo.

    “But still, we should keep a close eye on the compound,” said the contractor.

    “An opportunity will eventually present itself,” said Rindo.


    ********************


    “How are things going?” asked the Governor of Tennessee.

    “Pretty well all things considered. You never realize just how much in taxes you send to Washington,” laughed the Attorney General.

    “So we are going to be okay?” asked the Governor.

    “Our welfare programs were hit pretty hard, but we are squeaking by,” said the State Treasurer.

    “And word from Washington?” asked the Governor.

    “Steaming,” said the Attorney General. “They flat refuse to speak to us. They are also threatening to fine the companies withholding their tax money.”

    “That’s a simple solution, tell them not to pay it,” laughed the Treasurer.

    “Easier said than done. The Feds will go out and find courts loyal to them and force the issue through,” said the Attorney General.

    “If the Federal Government can ignore a court ruling in the case of Cindy Grant, I’m sure we can do much the same thing,” said the Governor. “Speaking of which, is she okay?”

    “Yes sir, but it appears Washington might be getting ready for some searches,” said the Director of the TBI.

    “Such as?” asked the Governor.

    “We are hearing rumors they are planning to stage a team in East Tennessee somewhere. We aren’t sure, but they seem to think she is in that location,” said the Director.

    “Lot of ground to cover,” said the Attorney General.

    “And if we find them, the Sheriff First legislation comes into effect,” said the Governor.

    “That will raise the stakes big time,” said the Lieutenant Governor.

    “We’re already in a standoff with Washington. A few more pieces of wood on the bonfire aren’t going to make this any worse,” said the Governor.

    And as fate would have it, the Director’s cell phone rang while they were still in the meeting. He listened for several moments before asking a few questions. After he finished he turned to the Governor. “The FBI just landed.”

    “Who and where at?” asked the Governor.

    “Hostage Rescue Team out of Quantico. They are in Knoxville,” said the Director.

    “Any reason they are here?” asked the Lieutenant Governor.

    “There is only one reason why the HRT is here,” said the Director.

    “Make sure we get there before any problems come up,” said the Governor. “And make sure the plans we came up are stuck to.”


    ********************


    “We’re getting this done pretty quick,” said Cindy as she looked over the half completed rifle stock. The basic shape was set now and the fine detail work was being done.

    “Easy part’s over. Now we have the hard part of the details,” said Charlie as he took a sliver of wood out of the piece.

    “And I can’t help with that?” she asked.

    “Hang on…” he said and took one final sliver. “Okay, grab the fishtail gouge right there.”

    “Which one?” she asked.

    “The one with the…” he started to describe it and got it himself. “This one.”

    “And what am I supposed to do with it?” she asked.

    “Start taking off small slivers down to here,” he said as he indicated a mark on the wood. “Just lightly go over it.”

    “You think Toby is going to be happy with the stock I’m making him?” she asked.

    “I think he’s happy any time you do anything for him,” laughed Charlie.

    “I never thought of making a gun for a boy before,” she laughed.

    “I’ve got another one to make as well,” said Charlie.

    “Oh, your friend at the store?” she asked.

    “Yeah, that one,” he said and avoided the subject again.

    “When are you going to get started on that one?” she asked.

    “Very soon,” he said.

    “You guys got a minute?” asked Erica from the house.

    “Sure,” said Charlie. “Come on Sparky, break time.”

    “Sparky?” she asked.

    “Have to call you something,” he laughed.

    “You call a dog Sparky,” she objected.

    “Skippy? Slappy? Squirt?” he asked with a grin.

    She growled and rolled her eyes at him as they went inside to see what Erica called them in about.

    “I was checking the net and found this,” she said and pointed at the screen of the computer. They saw it was on a social networking site and the name “Support Cindy Grant” was at the top of the page.

    “What is this?” asked Cindy.

    “Apparently, someone thinks you are something special and dedicated a page in your honor. Looks to have plenty of folks that support you in this,” said Erica, checking to see the seven million “likes” she had received. The wall was filled with messages of support from random people across the nation and even from around the world.

    “What’s going on here? I didn’t do any of this!” she protested.

    “I know, someone else did. Someone apparently thought it would be nice to show you how much the people care about you and support you,” said Erica.

    “This is…I don’t know how to describe this,” said Cindy.

    “Be happy folks are paying attention to your story. It helps you in the long run,” said Charlie.

    “Seven million people like me?” asked Cindy.

    “No, seven million people…and probably more support your cause. Even if this is a sampling of ten percent of the population, that means seventy million people believe in you and support your stand against what happened to you. And that’s just a sampling of the public. The press reports the numbers in their polls which say the majority of Americans want you safe and your father brought to justice along with the Imam. That’s pretty significant as we typically can’t agree on much,” said Charlie.

    “So I’ve got over a hundred million fans?” she said with a cheesy grin.

    “I guess so,” he laughed as he saw she was joking.

    “Maybe I should go on tour or something,” she laughed.

    “Or write a book,” he suggested.

    “Now that I could do,” she said. “Write about the adventures of Cindy Grant and her quest to fight injustice.”

    “Yeah, we need some good comic relief,” he laughed, bringing her back to reality.

    “Seriously, it would be nice to write out what I’ve been through,” said Cindy.

    “Well, get on it. You don’t live forever,” said Charlie as he waved his hand at the computer.

    “I’d like to read what people are saying first,” said Cindy as she and Erica settled into the seats to read what people were saying. Cindy for the support and Erica to see if anyone recognized her and spilled the beans.

    “By all means,” he said. “I’ll be in the shop if you need me.”

    Leave a comment:


  • PJaster
    replied
    Grand, I must add in to the groups saying the story is moving along so fine!!!

    I have been a little dis-abled of late, had a small problem of my right leg feeling like not being there...

    Uh, I have discussed it, elsewhere, but my Lumbar #4... Did you know that is ~home~ to the famous "Sciatic Nerve", well. Let me say, that is ~some Nerve~!
    as it travels down, it might have other names... For instance, the middle inside of my thigh, I would call "the Throbber" and it throbs somewhat, to early Calypso Music... Now then, as it travels further down, and goes to the OUTSIDE of the back part of the knee... well, I call that spot, "the Screamer" No, it does not keep time with the Throbber.... Darn....

    And so on... down to... would you believe my Big Toe? it went numb, like after that dentist you don't like, gives you the shot of Novacaine? yah, numb....

    But that was last week... today I am better, and Gee, a first for me: Four Chapters of Second Chance to read!!!!!!

    I have to work, to my level.... still moving: ~small beginnings~ gets Parked Sept First, or 2nd.... as ever it goes.

    Thank you, for giving me something to read, as I am flat on my back, RESTING!!!!

    in HIM,
    philip

    Leave a comment:


  • jpr9954
    replied
    Whoa! That was some speech the Gov of TN gave!

    Leave a comment:


  • barfife
    replied
    Originally posted by tech View Post
    Whew...phenomenal writing Grand. Just fantastic.
    Amen brother

    Leave a comment:


  • tech
    replied
    Whew...phenomenal writing Grand. Just fantastic.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X