Originally posted by MustangGal
View Post
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Hard Red Winter Wheat
Collapse
X
-
I ended up getting it for just over $50 for 100 lbs of non-organic hard read wheat.
-
Guest repliedu know the diff between a cult and a "true" religion? the number of people who believe in it is the only diff. Christianity and Islam and Judaism were all just cults at one time. If the moonies numbered 2 billion, it would be a recognized religion.
Leave a comment:
-
I have several cases of the LDS wheat, among other things. If anyone isn't a member in the Houston area let me know and ill bring you along next time I go. Aside from Beans not much in the way of protein or veggies. My wife and I get Shelf Reliance for the fruit, veggies, and protein.
Leave a comment:
-
I finally found a source for hard red wheat that doesn't cost an arm AND a leg! I talked to the owner of the health food store in the next town over and he can get me organic for ~$40/50# or non-organic for less.
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks protus....
I have been looking at that too. I just need to find about 20 more people in my local area to share the amount of grain. I hit up another local board in my area to see if there was any one interested but either they are truly worried about OPSEC, which I understand, or they are more of the armchair style prepper. Good news is my ATV has a winch....now all I have to do is create a contraption to lift those barrels so I can get them to the retreat!:)
Leave a comment:
-
Sounds like barrels not buckets are the way to go Tar. Cheaper packaging costs also (potentially). Pack your mylars like normal, after sealing turn the bucket upside down to get the sealed mylar package out. Then before the mylar gets hard, put the package inside the 60 gallon barrels.
Barrels can be found $10-15. each and will hold 300-350 lbs. versus maybe as little as 35 on a bucket. Your mylars can max out at 50 lbs. so you might save a mylar or two also.
Downside is they aren't very mobile.
Leave a comment:
-
I wish I had the room for that much wheat. That is my problem. I have a group with 22 members, and 8 of those are kids, so 21,000 lbs would be awesome. But just the logistics of finding 600 buckets would be daunting. Then the storage of those buckets. has anyone checked the ballistic rating of wheat? I could probably build a small building with the buckets and the slap on some mud for an "Adobe" effect. Then eventually....eat my building. I just wish the Mormon Bishop in my area would let me purchase from them. I had just found out where the nearest cannery was, had called the night supervisor for the place. Got his cell number and everything....and then somebody posted a youtube video on his visit to the LDS cannery and all the cool stuff he got for cheap ...it went viral....and the bishop shut it down. Oh, you can still go there, but you have to have a mormon sponsor to buy anything. The only person that I knew that was mormon moved back to Utah some time ago.
Leave a comment:
-
Tarheel: $11.75 a bushel is a really good deal, depending on how its packaged which is probably loose, requiring a special trailer. But to give clarity the LDS PDF that I linked to is charging $11.45 for a 25lb bag. And all I'm going to do is open the bag and poor it into Mylar. If you had a group willing to buy that much, it would be worth having a grain party and saving $6.50 per bag. Those savings would go down depending on the cost of transport and if you have to rent the special trailer.
Leave a comment:
-
Okay....so I call this Mill near my hometown. They basically make fodder for farm critters. Anyway I ask him about me getting some wheat for LTFS. I am on the phone with this guy but I can already see the expression on his face, cuz his voice gets all high pitchy and asks what do you need that for. Tin foil hat time. Anyway, he only sells wheat in tremendous quantities. He said the smallest order he could sell me was 350 bushels at 11.75 a bushel. I said okay and I would get back with him. Then I asked myself....how much is that? didnt have a clue that I was about to order 21,000 lbs of wheat. I did the math and while it would make me a wheat baron after the crash, I would have to take a month off from work to process it. I would have to procure 600 5 gal buckets, mylar bags, and oxy abs. Then I would have to find room for all that stuff. In case anyone doesnt know, a bushel of wheat is 60 lbs. (according to the website from the UNC Agriculture site.) But for about 4000 bucks my group would have more than enough wheat!!!!! :D :D :D
anybody got a spare tractor trailer rig and trailer :)
Leave a comment:
-
I second what Southern Michigan said regarding Montana Wheat. My first wheat order came directly from Montana Wheat, unfortunately, the shipping just kills you. Since then the only place I have found to purchase it is from Whole Foods which turns out to be a pretty good deal since their mark up is pretty low on the 50 pound bags compared to paying shipping costs.
Also, in case anyone is interested, here is my bread recipe that I have been making for about three years now. As you will notice, it makes 5 loaves at a time, but I just freeze them and pull them out when we need.
7 Grain Bread
This is our FAVORITE bread!! The combination of grains makes it moist and it doesn't fall apart. This will make 5 loaves or 3 Pampered Chef loaves. I usually make 2 big loaves and a pan of hamburger buns (I often add italian seasonings to these and we use them for sandwiches).
7 Grain Bread (Makes 5 loaves or 3 big loaves)
Grind:
3 Cups hard red wheat berries
4 Cups of hard white wheat berries
2 cups soft white wheat berries
1 cups 7- grain blend(Or some combination of 10 cups of whole grain)
5 1/2 C warm water
2/3 C olive oil
1 C honey
1/4 C yeast
2 T wheat gluten
2 T salt
Mix 2/3 of the ground grain, water, oil, honey, yeast, and wheat gluten together. Allow to "sponge", rest and grow for 15 min.
Mix in remaining flour and salt.
Knead alot. I do 8 min.
Warm the oven to about 150 - 170*. (Pre-heat for 5 min only; turn oven OFF before putting bread in oven to rise).When the kneading is done, place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and form 5 loaves and raise them for 20 to 25 minutes in the warm oven. Leave them right in the oven, increase the temp to 350* and bake. Once the oven has come up to temp set the timer for 20-30 min. Remove a loaf and check the temperature by inserting a cooking thermometer into the bottom of a loaf when it reaches 200 degrees the bread is done. Bush tops with butter if desired.
I cool them on their sides...makes a funny pattern, but they don't fall down in the middle.
**This dough is great for rolling out and making hamburger buns...I use the wide mouth canning jar lid for a cutter.
**Italian Spice bread: knead 2 T of garlic and 1/4 a cup of Italian seasoning (Oregano, basil, rosemary, marjoram, sage, thyme) into each loaf of bread. Yum!
**Cinnamon Breakfast Bread: knead 2 T of Sugar and 1/8 a cup of Cinnamon.
**I have also used this dough to make Garlic Pull Apart Rolls, with the added Italian spices.
Leave a comment:
-
Try googling "triple washed wheat" and there should be a few good places to buy "baking quality" wheat.... also Wheat Montana is a producer of wheat and other grain you just have to find a wholsale distibutor and it is high quality stuff!
Leave a comment:
-
It takes a little time to get a system worked out.
By accident I discovered a plant that came in my garden seed sampler pack called Amaranth. Grows big and tall and produces these tiny little seeds that can be ground up into bread flour. Has a kick butt nutrional value, way better than grain or rice and so easy to grow.
Golden Giant Amaranth
Leave a comment:
-
I understand the different levels of prepping and preparing for them all , it can't be done . So wheat is just for breads is what I am gathering . I enjoy my breads and tortilla's but they aren't a deal breaker and if SHTF , then when I use up my grain , Im short bread anyways ( hehe short bread , was an unintentional pun ) . I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a vital part of being ready . I am trying to have a variety of food stuffs available , so we can have some different tastes and not get bored . I might run it by the wife and see if she is up for it . Thanks for the info and anything else posted .
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: