Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Hard Red Winter Wheat
Collapse
X
-
Bulk grain is dried in grain driers before is is stored in silos. The grain you get in bulk has been dried for storage. As long as it has not been exposed to a lot of moisture it should be fine. Always be alert and look at any grain to be sore it is not moldy! Never eat moldy grain.
-
So I have a question. I was reading the LDS site, and they warn that if the grain isn't fully dry and you take the oxygen out, you risk Botulism. How do you know if the grain is dry enough to store?
Last edited by hagbard; 01-28-2011, 06:18 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
I've been buying whole wheat flour, and for me it's working out to about 1 lb per loaf. I make two loaves at a time, with 6 cups of flour. I can get four loaves and a batch of biscuits out of a 5 lb bag. That's following the recipe out of The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book" by Laurel Robertson, with carol Flinders & Bronwen Godfrey. The subtitle is, "A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking." Excellent book.
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks guys. I plan on experimenting with HRWW in the next month or so, thats the stuff I stored.
Leave a comment:
-
I'm still sick so bear with me if my "figurin" isn't perfect. We always figured 4 lbs. of HRWW to make 2 slightly smaller than store bought loaves. Not including yeast, sugar, etc.
Leave a comment:
-
Fido-
# 1 cup of wheat berries produces a scant 1 3/4 cups flour.
# One pound of wheat berries equals approximately 4 1/2 cups flour.
Leave a comment:
-
I just put up 200 pounds of wheat into buckets. Many thanks to the guys a PAW for the excellent video's!!
I also bought a country living grain mill, but haven't had the time to play with it yet.
Now here's my question. Approximately how much grain needs to be ground to make 1 loaf of bread? Does one cup of grain equal one cup of flour? Whats the ratio?
I am trying to figure out how much I need to store.
Leave a comment:
-
Process is very akin to feeling my way around a dark room. Upon watching several youtube videos on the subjet I think I made several serious mistakes. Using the ingredients in the wrong order, being too big of a hurry, etc. I would rather make mistakes now, than wait until it counts and then start my learning curve.
Leave a comment:
-
I've made a few bricks in my day. lol
For practice sakes I should make it the old fashioned way and need the dough by hand but I'm too lazy so I borrow my MIL Bosch mixer. Makes 4-5 loaves, you still have to pull the dough out of the mixer and form your loaves, but that's still easy.
Tofu, which process are you using to make your bread?
Leave a comment:
-
Box says Homestyle Corn and Grain Grinder. Its a Cast Iron metal burr type, wanted something inexpensive to get started with. Bought it at a time when wifey wasn't fully onboard yet.
Leave a comment:
-
Finally got to try the grain mill with above mentioned wheat. The best I could do was get the wheat to come out with the consistency of corn meal. Gave it a go anyway, made a very nice bread brick... Back to the drawing board...
Leave a comment:
-
Protus: I do not agree with them on spirtual matters. But I do agree with their philosophy on prepardness.
You have more views because you tell it like it is and don't sugar coat it. Your video on 5 gallon buckets and mylar bags is what got me kicked into high gear, and for that I thank you.
Leave a comment:
-
i need to go make friends with some LDS...the last moroms i saw said " your one of the survivalist guys huh...got a BOL....."
then i told them their church movies on youtube sucked...and mine had more views..;)
we debated for a good 45 minutes on preps and food......niether of them had ever packed or used any food items that are avaible to them. I ound t hat sad to say the least, LOL
Leave a comment:
-
That was for 2 25lb bags. I'm looking forward to grinding some this weekend and trying my hand at some whole wheat bread.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: