Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Second Chance:
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
WooHoo! New chapter.
Dang! Another cliffhanger.
Thanks Grand & welcome Home!
Leave a comment:
-
CHAPTER 44
“Nothing good out of Nashville,” said Anderson as he plopped down in the chair across from Mitch.
“How so?” asked Mitch.
“The Governor got another call from New York. This one wasn’t as pleasant,” said Anderson as he went on to explain what happened.
“That’s not good,” observed Mitch when Anderson finished.
“Not at all. But rest assured, Cindy isn’t moving from here until everyone is happy with the outcome,” said Anderson.
“And Cindy’s interests are being protected?” asked Mitch.
“Absolutely,” said Anderson.
“And the press angle?” asked Mitch.
“Still being kept quiet. Remember that similar situation out in California some time back?” asked Anderson.
“Vaguely,” said Mitch.
“Well, long story short, similar situation. Girl ran away from her parents and was hidden by another family member. However, California found her, but did the investigation internally. Last thing I knew was the girl was kept away from her family. But in this case, I believe New York is planning on sending her back to her family and who cares about the consequences,” said Anderson.
“Which is unacceptable?” asked Mitch.
“Which is unacceptable,” repeated Anderson.
“And that’s a good thing. I’m having a hard time keeping Charlie from heading out and doing a little head hunting,” said Mitch.
“He chomping at the bit to take care of business himself?” asked Anderson.
“Sort of. This is the first family he’s ever had more or less. He had a family, but his wife and child died during childbirth. Cindy has given him a second look on what a father should be,” said Mitch.
“And I happened to notice he got married suddenly?” asked Anderson.
“You know the real story, right?” asked Mitch.
“I can only guess,” said Anderson.
“Erica is helping out in that situation,” said Mitch.
“I wouldn’t mind having her help out,” laughed Anderson.
“Come again?” asked Mitch.
“She’s a pretty lady and has a good career. Charlie’s a lucky dude,” said Anderson.
“Yeah, she’s been after him for a while. But Charlie never seemed to pay her any attention until recently,” said Mitch.
“Playing hard to get?” asked Anderson.
“No, just wasn’t into the dating scene, but got back into it,” said Mitch.
“You know though, more than a few folks would have the idea Charlie was some sort of pervert for taking in a pretty young girl like that,” said Anderson.
“I figure they will, but Charlie’s not that kind of guy. He’s an old fashioned gentleman and prefers his women a little more mature,” said Mitch.
“A doctor’s pretty mature,” laughed Anderson.
“That she is. She’s good for him as well. My old friend has come back,” said Mitch.
“You think Cindy had anything to do with that?” asked Anderson.
“Maybe. Sometimes little things in life will provide the spark to get on with your life,” said Mitch as Anderson’s cell phone rang. He spoke for several moments until his eyebrows rose and he motioned to Mitch for something to write on. Mitch handed over a piece of paper and a pen while Anderson wrote down the information. After sliding the piece of paper back across the table, Mitch raised his eyebrows as well.
“Let me call Charlie,” said Mitch as he grabbed at his cell phone. He tried both the house and his cell, but didn’t get an answer on either. “I can’t get an answer at his place.”
“You might want to head out and make sure the place is ready to go,” said Anderson. “They want to see Cindy and Charlie at the home.”
“Okay, you know how to get there?” asked Mitch.
“I’m pretty sure I do,” said Anderson.
“If you have a hard time, just grab one of the deputies to ride shotgun with you,” said Mitch as he departed to go and alert Charlie.
********************
Charlie and Cindy were out working in the yard when Mitch drove up in his cruiser. Charlie hadn’t planned on a visit from his friend that day, but it was Mitch and he typically had a good reason for coming over.
“Hope your house is clean bud,” said Mitch by way of greeting.
“How come?” asked Charlie.
“You’re about to receive visitors,” said Mitch as two more vehicles were seen coming up the driveway. “I only found out about fifteen minutes ago. I tried calling, but you didn’t answer.”
“I forgot my cell phone inside this morning,” said Charlie. “What kind of visitors?”
“The political kind,” said Mitch as the cars pulled up to a stop and the occupants got out. Charlie was fairly stunned to see the Governor of Tennessee getting out of the vehicle and walking his way. The Governor didn’t look like himself right then as he was dressed in a pair of jeans and a short sleeve button up shirt. He looked like a fairly ordinary guy right then.
“Mister Gray?” asked the Governor.
“Yes sir,” said Charlie, wishing he were somewhat clean for this meeting.
“Pleasure to meet you,” said the Governor as he put on his best camera smile and shook his hand. “And you must be Miss Grant.”
“I am,” said Cindy, not recognizing the man.
“Cindy, this is the Governor of the State,” said Charlie.
“Oh! Pleased!” said Cindy as she took his hand.
“And is Doctor Chase around?” asked the Governor.
“No sir, she’s at work today,” said Charlie. “Want to have a seat sir?”
“Nice day out today, let’s head to your porch if that’s okay,” said the Governor, looking over the farm.
“Sorry we aren’t cleaner. We didn’t get much of a notice you were coming,” said Charlie.
“Not a problem. I’m intruding on your home here and I should thank you for taking the time to see me,” said the Governor.
“You certainly aren’t intruding,” said Charlie and wondered why the Governor was showing up at his doorstep.
“Nice place you have here,” observed the Governor.
“It’s a simple life,” said Charlie.
“Not quite what I was expecting to see from a bestselling author,” laughed the Governor.
“I don’t have to change my ways just because I have money,” said Charlie as they walked up to the porch. “Would you like anything to drink?”
“You wouldn’t happen to have a cup of coffee would you?” asked the Governor.
“I’ll start a pot,” said Charlie.
“Have a seat Charlie, I can get it. He came to see you and Cindy,” said Mitch.
“Good crop this year?” asked the Governor, coving the pleasantries before getting down to business.
“Pretty good sir. The rains helped out a lot,” said Charlie.
“Are you off the grid here?” asked the Governor.
“As much as I can be sir,” said Charlie.
“I noticed your solar panels while we were driving up. Nice to see someone who isn’t entirely reliant on the system,” said the Governor.
“Best to be prepared for emergencies sir. Plus it cuts down on the electric bill considerably,” said Charlie.
“Sensible,” said the Governor. “And how are you doing Miss Grant? Or may I call you Cindy?”
“Cindy will be fine sir,” she said, being very proper for the unexpected visitor. “And I’m doing okay.”
“Just okay?” he asked with his same camera smile.
“I’m doing well sir,” she said.
“Not working you to death on the farm is he?” laughed the Governor.
“Oh no sir! I keep bugging him for things to do. I like getting my hands dirty,” she said.
“Tomboy?” he asked with a laugh.
“Not an official diagnosis, but I think that pretty much fits me,” said Cindy.
The Governor laughed along with Charlie and settled into their seats. They covered some further small talk before Mitch reappeared with the coffee pot and the nice cups. It was a nice break for the Governor, no press, no cameras, no pointed questions. Just relaxing to sit back, have a cup of coffee and talk to real people for a change. But he had business to conduct and since he was in the local area, decided to pay these two a visit.
“Are you in school?” asked the Governor.
“Charlie is home schooling me,” said Cindy.
“Doing okay?” asked the Governor.
“She rarely needs my help. She’s a smart young lady,” said Charlie.
“So I heard,” said the Governor. “I’ll get down to why I’m here since I’m on a tight schedule. This was an unplanned stop for me and there could be pointed questions asked if I’m away for too long.”
“We understand sir,” said Charlie.
“I just wanted to come by and talk with Cindy and let her know she has the full backing of the State of Tennessee in her situation. We are not going to let New York continue on their current path until an acceptable outcome for you is established. I know you’ve already heard it before from others, but straight from the horse’s mouth is always good to hear,” said the Governor.
“Thank you sir,” said Cindy.
“But rest assured, we will not be sending you back until it is positively safe for us to do so,” said the Governor.
“And the rest of my family?” asked Cindy.
“And them as well. There will be some difficult times ahead, but in the end, we will come out on top,” said the Governor.
“I can’t thank you enough,” said Cindy.
“No, it’s us who need to thank you. By your coming forward, you have exposed a dangerous situation and put a stop to it. The violators need to be dealt with and your testimony will be crucial in making that happen,” said the Governor.
“All I did was run away,” said Cindy.
“No, you ran to justice,” said the Governor. “And we won’t quit until justice is served.”
“Thank you sir,” said Cindy, slightly blushing up.
“But again, we will do everything in our power as a State to make sure this wrong is made right,” said the Governor.
“And what steps are being taken to guarantee that?” asked Charlie.
“We are working the issue with the Department of Justice and the Circuit Court. The Circuit Court is firmly behind our position,” said the Governor.
“And the Justice Department?” asked Charlie.
“We haven’t discussed the matter at length yet,” said the Governor. But he didn’t say they didn’t like the discussion so far. The political angles were starting to sway away from Tennessee in the Federal Government.
“And the matter of the investigation of the New York Child Protective Services?” asked Charlie.
“We are running an independent investigation,” said the Governor and left it at that. Charlie took that as to mean they were running the investigation since New York had failed to do so. It was easy to read between the lines of politicians when you knew what you were looking for. Erica’s vehicle was seen speeding up the driveway then. “You were expecting another visitor?”
“That’s Erica,” said Charlie.
“Oh,” said the Governor and stood as Erica got out and started rushing towards the porch.
“I came as soon as Mitch called, but he didn’t say what-oh! Hello sir!” she exclaimed as she saw the Governor.
“Doctor Chase, a pleasure,” said the Governor as he shook her hand.
“Sheriff Brewer called me and said I needed to get home soonest,” said Erica.
“I hope I didn’t pull you away from anything,” said the Governor.
“No sir, I was about to go on lunch break,” said Erica.
“Please Doctor Chase, have a seat,” said the Governor as he motioned towards the chairs.
“It’s Erica,” she said, slightly blushing at the formal attitude of the Governor.
“We were discussing Cindy’s situation,” said the Governor.
“I can bring you up to speed later,” said Charlie.
“Is it being resolved and does she have the support of your office in the matter?” asked Erica directly.
“Absolutely on both accounts. I will not let her go back to that situation until it’s resolved,” said the Governor adamantly.
“Cindy is a special girl and needs to see this come out in her favor,” said Erica.
“From what I’m told, she is a very special young lady. And we are making sure she continues to get the treatment she rightfully deserves,” said the Governor. “Is there anything I can do to help out?”
“Nothing I can think of,” said Charlie. “Just stay on top of the situation.”
“Oh trust me, this is not a back burner issue for me. It started boiling the moment I got briefed in by Agent Anderson,” said the Governor.
“Cindy can you excuse us for a moment?” asked Charlie. She got up immediately and knew the talk would turn to matters she probably didn’t need to hear right then. She went back in to talk to Mitch for a few minutes until they finished “tall talk.”
“Governor, I didn’t get the warm fuzzy feeling from your statements,” said Charlie.
“Which ones in particular?” asked the Governor.
“Specifically what New York is not doing. I can read between the lines,” said Charlie.
“Basically New York isn’t taking the matter seriously enough for my tastes. We asked for a reinvestigation into the family, but were told the original investigation still stands. Hence, we are running our own investigation,” said the Governor.
“And federal involvement?” asked Charlie.
“Leaning towards New York’s side of the investigation. We have only had informal contacts with the Justice Department, but for the most part, they seem to be trying to stand in the middle of the road. However, they unofficial stance is they would go with the original investigation or call for a new one and leave it at that,” said the Governor.
“So they aren’t taking it seriously?” asked Charlie.
“Not enough for my liking,” said the Governor.
“And if political pressure is put on the State?” asked Erica.
“We won’t cave in,” said the Governor. “Plans are already in the works for when and if that happens.”
“Care to enlighten us?” asked Charlie.
“Honestly, you don’t need to know the details,” said the Governor.
“The care of Cindy is my principle concern here. It does affect me knowing Tennessee will stand up for what is right,” said Charlie.
“The State of Tennessee and furthermore I fully support Cindy in this matter. We won’t cave in to Washington no matter how high the political pressure goes,” said the Governor. “If I have to, I’ll strap on a badge and gun myself and start arresting people myself. I don’t like the historical examples of what the Federal Government does when something like this happens.”
“You think that will happen?” asked Erica. “The Feds coming in to take her away?”
“It probably won’t come to that, but again, we have that scenario in mind already,” said the Governor.
“And her safety here?” asked Charlie.
“Less than a dozen people including myself in the State Government know her location. For all intents and purposes, it’s in ‘East Tennessee’ and we left it at that,” said the Governor.
“Still a dozen folks that can give up her location,” said Charlie.
“And each of them have families and furthermore daughters. They aren’t happy about what is happening any more than I am,” said the Governor. “They can keep a secret.”
“Good to hear,” said Charlie, not discussing their plans to move Cindy around if it came down to it. If he thought for a moment her location had been compromised, she would be gone in less than fifteen minutes.
“What else can I do?” asked the Governor.
“Just keep the pressure going on New York. She needs to be back with her family even though her father should be going to jail. They deserve a second shot at having a normal life,” said Charlie.
“I will do everything in my power to see this through to the end,” said the Governor. “Up to and including a request for political asylum as she originally requested or a home of record status where she can fall under our jurisdiction in this matter.”
“Is that legal?” asked Erica.
“I have the Attorney General researching it right now,” said the Governor.
“We appreciate you taking a personal interest in this matter,” said Charlie.
“It’s my pleasure,” said the Governor. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to be going.”
Charlie called for Cindy to come back out and say goodbye. The Governor again promised not to let her down and do everything possible to protect her until the situation resolved itself. He further thanked Charlie and Erica for their hospitality in taking in Cindy and their dedication to seeing things set right. After the handshakes, he got into the car with Anderson and departed for his regular scheduled event in Elizabethton.
“Nice to know the Governor is on board,” said Charlie. “Mitch?”
“Listen, I was called by Anderson right before they got to Unicoi. I happened to be on this end of the county when he called,” said Mitch defensively.
“I wasn’t pointing the finger at you, these things happen,” said Charlie.
“Just making sure,” said Mitch.
“But other than that, how’s the rest of the thing going?” asked Charlie.
“Pretty well, the State is running an independent investigation into the matter, but of course, going over State lines is not easy to do; so there is that,” said Mitch.
“But we are keeping on top of it?” asked Charlie.
“For certain,” said Mitch as he finished the conversation. “Nice weather we’re having.”
“Sure is. Nice camping weather,” said Charlie.
“That’s a pretty decent idea,” said Mitch.
“Camping?” asked Erica.
“Sure, you ever camp?” asked Charlie.
“No, not in a long time,” said Erica, who’s experience with camping consisted of 4-H camp as a child.
“So you aren’t objecting?” asked Charlie.
“It would be kind of fun I think,” said Erica.
“Cindy, what do you think?” asked Charlie.
“Sure, as long as you don’t get us lost again,” she grinned.
“Charlie got lost?” asked Mitch.
“Sure did!” she exclaimed.
“I did nothing of the sort. I turned off the GPS so she could find our way back home using some knowledge she learned,” said Charlie.
“I think you got us lost,” said Cindy with a grin.
“And how long did it take me to tell you how far from home we were that next morning?” asked Charlie.
“Before or after I figured out where we were?” she said with a grin.
“You aren’t winning this one brother,” laughed Mitch.
“Guess not,” laughed Charlie.
“You want to plan something for next weekend?” asked Mitch. “It’s Labor Day and all.”
“I’ve wanted to get back up to Lost Cove for a while now,” said Charlie.
“A while? I think the last time we were up there we were teenagers,” laughed Mitch.
“Yeah, it has been a while,” laughed Charlie in return.
“It’s settled then. I’ll call Sarah and let her know,” said Mitch.
“I’ll invite the Reynolds as well,” said Charlie.
“Am I invited?” asked Erica.
“Absolutely,” said Charlie.
“I mean, I don’t have camping gear or anything,” said Erica.
“I figure Charlie can help out in that department, seeing that you’re married and all,” Mitch chuckled.
“I certainly can,” said Charlie. “I can arrange for transportation to Poplar.”
“I can set up the rafts,” said Mitch.
“And the property owner?” asked Charlie.
“I’ve got a friend that knows him,” said Mitch. “No problem.”
“Sounds like a plan,” said Charlie. “I’ll call Mack this afternoon.”
“And the poor orphan girl?” asked Cindy.
“The poor orphan girl can go along as well,” said Charlie with a roll of his eyes.
“Cool!” exclaimed Cindy.
“So next weekend?” asked Erica.
“Yes, we can leave out Thursday afternoon and come back on Monday. Maybe earlier if you take a couple of days of vacation Erica,” said Charlie.
“Just a day and a half,” she observed.
“Yeah, but getting everything together and heading out. Might want to plan on two days,” said Charlie.
“I never take vacation so the hospital will probably be glad to get rid of me for a while,” laughed Erica.
“Mitch? You think you and Sarah can tear yourself away for that long?” asked Charlie.
“More than likely,” said Mitch. “I’ll have to check with Sarah, but I think she’ll be good.”
“It’s settled then. As long as the monkey girl gets caught up with her school work before then,” said Charlie.
“I’ll be a week ahead by tomorrow and by this weekend, probably two weeks,” said Cindy.
“Told you she was a smart one,” said Charlie as Cindy beamed with pride.
“That she is,” said Mitch. “I’ll be heading out so you can get back to doing whatever you were doing before I got here.”
“Okay, see you later,” said Charlie. Erica hung around for several more minutes and grabbed a quick bite to eat before getting a goodbye kiss from Charlie and heading back to work. She had come up with a decent excuse as to being pulled away so suddenly and going to Charlie’s. She was looking forward to getting away for the weekend even though she hadn’t really been camping. Plus it would give her a little more time to get closer to him in his “environment” so to speak. Charlie was an outdoorsman and she needed to understand that environment to understand him as well.
“Well, come on monkey girl. We need to get finished up with these things in the yard,” said Charlie.
“We’ve got plenty of daylight left,” said Cindy.
“We do, but I’d like the chance to go over your homework before supper,” said Charlie.
“Okay, what else needs to be done after I get done with the raking?” asked Cindy as she grabbed the rake and continued her chore.
The remainder of the afternoon was spent getting caught up on the weekly chores around the yard and checking her homework which was found to be in perfect order. Charlie would be taking up her schoolwork and turning it in before receiving her new assignments for the coming two weeks since they had planned a camping trip. Erica came back after she got off work and helped out in the yard, preparing the flower beds even though late in the season. Some of the flower she wanted to plant would be able to sit over the winter and bloom in the spring, hopefully after she had moved in completely if she had her way.
Cindy cooked up supper that night, trying a roast for the first time and getting it mostly right. She took his constructive criticism in stride and vowed to perfect the dish the next time she made it. Her evening was spent studying more on the math in her textbook and diving into the world history book and cross referencing it with internet sources since the textbooks were slightly out of date. Erica took a turn assisting her with her studies and letting Charlie have somewhat of a break for the evening. Charlie got out his old laptop and continued on his new book, glad to be back in the saddle somewhat on his writing skills.
He paused and looked around the room, seeing Erica and Cindy sitting at the dining room table working on her English studies amidst the new d
Leave a comment:
-
Yeaaaaa Grand's back and of course Second Chance too. LOL
Very good and still exciting.
Thank you
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks for the update, and hope the move is going well.
Welcome home!
Leave a comment:
-
CHAPTER 43
“Sir? It’s the Governor of New York calling again,” said the secretary over the intercom.
“Have the Attorney General come to my office for the call,” said the Governor as he sighed. He knew this phone call would be happening once they sent the details of their investigation to New York and asked for assistance. The Attorney General happened to be in the building and was in his office in less than two minutes.
“Bad?” he asked.
“New York calling,” said the Governor. “Please patch him in Jody.”
The phone rang on his desk and he put it on speaker. “Governor, I was expecting your call.”
“As well you should be! You have a lot of nerve mister!” yelled the Governor of New York into the phone.
“Over what?” asked the Governor of Tennessee.
“Over the fact you went behind our backs and are keeping that girl in your State!” yelled the Governor of New York.
“We just want to make sure justice is served and that is the same request we have made since the beginning,” said the Governor of Tennessee.
“The investigation was complete! We found no signs of any foul play! And furthermore, one of the doctors associated with the case seems to think she is schizophrenic!” yelled the Governor of New York.
“Oh does he now?” asked the Governor of Tennessee.
“Yes! She is showing classic signs of paranoid schizophrenia and delusional behavior! She needs to be returned to this State to begin treatment!” yelled the Governor of New York.
“As we can start treatment here after an impartial investigation is complete, your agencies start looking into why it only took two weeks for that complex of an investigation as well as administrative or judicial action against the agent in charge of her case. He flat out said he was not going to investigate further acts of abuse! How much more evidence do you need until you start another investigation?!” demanded the Governor of Tennessee, starting to lose his cool as well.
“It’s an internal matter and one we won’t need to tell you about! This is our problem, not yours!” yelled the Governor of New York.
“Cindy Grant made it my problem and furthermore, she asked for help and she’s going to get it!” growled the Governor of Tennessee.
“But the medical issues should be taken care of by her family!” he shot back.
“None of our doctors have seen this so called paranoid schizophrenia. NONE! And all of the sudden it surfaces just as you are attempting to send her back into that abusive environment? You are flat out using that as an excuse to get her back! She has no illness except one that you created!” yelled the Governor of Tennessee.
“Her medical information was withheld because frankly it’s none of your business! I repeat my original demand, send her back here to her family or we will be getting federal agencies involved!” shouted the Governor of New York.
“Absolutely not until the situation at her home and the situation in your State Agencies has resolved itself!” shouted the Governor of Tennessee.
“You are kidnapping her!” shouted the Governor of New York.
“We are doing none of the kind! She is here of her own free will and can leave at any time she chooses!” shot the Governor of Tennessee in return.
“So you are refusing to turn her over to her family and the proper New York authorities?” asked the Governor of New York.
“We already tried that once and you saw what happened! This time we don’t send her back until I am satisfied she will be getting the treatment she deserves!” yelled the Governor of Tennessee.
“We’ll take care of that problem, but first, she needs to get home to her family!” shouted the Governor of New York.
“Absolutely not!” said the Governor of Tennessee defiantly.
“You will force us to report this State sanctioned kidnapping to the FBI and anyone else we choose!” shouted the Governor of New York.
“You can tell Little Bo Peep and her little lost sheep for all I care! She doesn’t move until I am satisfied she will be going back to a good home environment and those responsible for her abuse and lack of investigation thereof will be prosecuted! Period!” said the Governor of Tennessee in a growl.
“You are forcing us to get the Federal Government involved when you don’t have to!” shouted the Governor of New York.
“And you are forcing us into this position by not doing what is legally and morally right!” yelled the Governor of Tennessee.
“Who’s morals? Yours?” shouted the Governor of New York.
“Of common morals and the sense of justice! You have heard the tapes of the conversations between Cindy and her father and of that so called Agent of yours by now!” shouted the Governor of Tennessee.
“I have taken it under advisement,” said the Governor of New York, calming somewhat since his advisors were urging him to do so in the background.
“Then you can see the situation you are putting us into?” asked the Governor of Tennessee.
“No! You are putting yourself into that position. Just turn her over to us and there won’t be any position!” demanded the Governor of New York.
“I can see we are going nowhere with this! Cindy Grant will not, I repeat NOT be moved from this State until such time as I feel comfortable she will be getting the care she is due and those responsible for her abuse are brought to justice! Additionally, until you prosecute those responsible for that so called initial investigation, we will not be happy. Those two things must be accomplished before any negotiation for her transfer of custody will take place!” yelled the Governor of Tennessee. He slammed the button shutting off the speaker phone to end the call since he was tired of debating with the New York Governor.
“Little Bo Peep and her sheep?” asked the Tennessee Attorney General before snorting.
“Couldn’t think of anything else at the time,” said the Governor with a smile before laughing at his own comments. He was joined by the Attorney General laughing long and hard at the comments as the brief moment of levity brought down the anger in the Governor slightly.
“Am I to assume this is our official stance?” asked the Attorney General.
“Yes, and go ahead and file the brief with the Circuit Court on the conduct of New York,” said the Governor.
“This one will probably go to the U.S. Supreme Court for a final decision,” said the Attorney General.
“Why is that?” asked the Governor.
“Because if I know New York, they will probably be filing a brief with the Second Circuit Court,” said the Attorney General.
“And if two Circuit Courts don’t agree on something? How can the same case be filed twice?” asked the Governor.
“Normally they can’t, but this situation is unusual to say the least,” said the Attorney General.
“And if they don’t agree?” asked the Governor.
“Then it goes to the Supreme Court for a final determination,” said the Attorney General.
“And what’s the chances of the Second Circuit Court ruling in our favor?” asked the Governor.
“I honestly cannot tell you. Disputes between States are often not handled at that level and there aren’t too many references to guide us. The Second Court is fairly liberal so there is no telling,” said the Attorney General.
“Would they default to the decision of the Sixth Court?” asked the Governor.
“Maybe,” said the Attorney General.
“File it today,” said the Governor.
“And the rest?” asked the Attorney General.
“Get her checked out by medical professionals. We already have three opinions on hand, but at least check this paranoid schizophrenia out before this blows up in our face,” said the Governor.
“Done, anything else?” asked the Attorney General.
“I’d like to meet with Cindy when the time is right. I have that lunch in East Tennessee in a few days and wouldn’t mind dropping in,” said the Governor.
“I’ll have Anderson get in contact with the local Sheriff,” said the Attorney General.
“Thanks for everything you are doing,” said the Governor.
“This certainly has given me something else to think about. Unusual to say the least,” said the Attorney General. “I almost feel like an apprentice just out of law school with all the research I’ve been doing.”
“Good for the brain,” said the Governor who never expected to be doing anything like this when he was elected into the position.
“If there’s nothing else, I’ll be heading off to file the brief,” said the Attorney General.
The Governor waved him out and went back to the budget briefing on his desk and back to his normal job of running the State. But in the back of his mind, two questions still raged. Why was New York being so obstinate about the situation and how far would this actually go.
********************
“I’ll get my contacts in the FBI online,” said the Attorney General of New York.
“Good, I want this situation resolved and that girl returned to this State immediately,” said the Governor of New York.
“And the Agent responsible for botching up the investigation?” asked the Attorney General.
“Start an investigation into his conduct,” said the Governor.
“I’ll see to it immediately. And I was thinking of filing a brief with the Second Court,” said the Attorney General.
“Which would do what good?” asked Harley Waters.
“If we get some judicial power behind this, she could be returned quicker,” said the Attorney General, wondering why Waters was present for this meeting since his cousin was part of the problem.
“And what’s our overall game plan here?” asked the Governor.
“Easy, get her returned to her family,” said Waters.
“And?” asked the Governor.
“Well, maybe the social services could be cleaned up a bit. Sorry Waters, but your cousin might have to pay the piper for what he’s done,” said the Attorney General.
“Pay the piper?” asked Waters.
“Any way you look at it, this investigation was pretty slipshod. We might have to reinvestigate the community and the family before it’s all over,” said the Attorney General.
“And if he’s exonerated?” asked Waters.
“Then that’s it. He goes back to work,” said the Attorney General.
“What about the press?” asked the Governor.
“I don’t think we need to get the press involved at this time,” said the Attorney General.
“Why not?” asked the Governor.
“Too early to get a good read on it. We need to make it look like we’ve exhausted all other options before going to them,” said the Attorney General.
“Maybe the story could be leaked from a low level source?” asked Waters.
“Why?” asked the Governor.
“Well, we can play the family angle and drum up sympathy on that mark,” said Waters.
“Maybe,” said the Governor. “No, let’s keep this close to the vest for the moment.”
“Anything else?” asked the Attorney General.
“No, thank you for helping out,” said the Governor. The Attorney General left, but Waters stayed behind. “Something I can help you with Harley?”
“The situation here needs to resolve itself quickly,” said Waters.
“Why is that?” asked the Governor.
“Let’s just say the involved parties would prefer it. They want that child back to her family,” said Waters.
“And I care about what they think? They are part of the problem!” exclaimed the Governor.
“Maybe so, but they did make significant contributions to your campaign last election,” said Waters.
“And this concerns me why?” asked the Governor.
“Because they will do so again if the situation turns in their favor,” said Waters.
“I’ll see what we can do, but if it turns out they are doing anything illegal, I’ll have to let the cards play out,” said the Governor.
“Even if it involved you getting money from suspected domestic terrorist groups and sympathizers?” asked Waters quietly, playing the card at the right time.
“Excuse me?” asked the Governor after letting that information sink in.
“Some of your campaign contributions can be directly linked to some people on the domestic terror watch list. And that doesn’t make good press now does it?” asked Waters.
“I had no idea where all the money came from!” protested the Governor.
“The funds were significant enough that you might have noticed,” said Waters. “Half a million dollars in contributions would have alerted your campaign manager.”
“I didn’t ever recall speaking with him about that,” said the Governor evasively.
“Doesn’t matter at all. Between that and the organized crime contributions, it would signal the end of your political career,” said Waters.
“There was nothing that could be proved!” protested the Governor.
“The mere hint of impropriety would be enough to destroy you politically,” said Waters.
“How dare you come into this office and accuse me of taking contributions from terrorists!” shouted the Governor.
“My campaign was clean, can you say the same thing about yours?” asked Waters in the same monotone voice he was using and not showing any reaction to the Governor’s outburst.
The Governor got quiet at that question since he did know some of the contributions were questionable at best. Some were from legitimate businesses run by some less than legitimate owners. But all in the same, it was politics at its best and he could claim ignorance if the matter ever came up. But to receive contributions from known suspected terrorists combined with that little fact could and probably would destroy him politically. He looked at Waters long and hard before giving out a long sigh.
“I suppose there is something you want me to do?” asked the Governor.
“Just get the girl back and take it easy on my cousin. I’ll take care of him in my own way,” said Waters.
“And I’m just supposed to look the other way in a child abuse case?” asked the Governor.
“I didn’t say that. Let the investigation run as it may, but the girl needs to get back to her family,” said Waters.
“You are pretty resolute in your desires to get her back to her family. Why?” asked the Governor.
“Do you know what it’s like to have a family member go missing? And possibly being turned against you by others? That’s what I’m doing this,” said Waters.
“Which is an utter load of horse manure. You and I both know you could give a darn about some girl outside of your district. Why the big deal?” asked the Governor.
“Just because it interests me and let’s leave it at that,” said Waters.
“I’ll see what I can come up with,” said the Governor as a way of dismissing him.
Waters left the room, but the Governor had no plans on letting all the sleeping dogs lie. He planned on making sure Steven Waters got what was coming to him. He typed out a quick e-mail to the head of the New York State Police and informed him the investigation would press on and if it turned up anything illegal, so be it. The Governor would at least attempt to salvage some of his reputation by placing Waters on the chopping block. He could at least point to something in case everything backfired on him.
********************
“Mrs. Lyons, I hope this isn’t a bad time,” said the Agent with the Insurance Bureau that represented the State.
“No, please,” said Melinda as she waved him into the house.
“I’m here to discuss the claim on your husband’s life insurance policy as well as the additional policy he took out about two weeks ago,” said the agent.
“We only had the one that I know of,” said Melinda.
“Apparently your husband took out an additional policy over and above the standard one from the State,” said the agent.
“I didn’t know he did,” said Melinda as she sat down in the living room.
“Which is why I’m here. He took out a large policy and suddenly ends up dead less than a week later. The insurance company will be investigating the claim and you should probably get legal assistance. The bureau can recommend a lawyer unless there is one you prefer,” said the agent.
“No, we don’t know any other lawyers,” she said. And by “we” she still was in shock over her husband’s death and was used to referring to things in the plural.
“Basically, he put down cash on a five million dollar policy which also included wrongful death. It’s just unusual he was dead a week later in a robbery and homicide,” said the agent.
“But I didn’t know he took it out!” she protested.
“Which I know, but still it’s unusual so you are entitled to legal representation,” said the agent. “Actually, it’s recommended.”
“Why is that?” asked Melinda.
“For starters, the claim is unusual to say the least. What does help is the case is ongoing and there were several other robberies reported in that same area. What does not help is the timing. It’s in too close a proximity to the new policy for the bureau’s tastes which is why we have to look into it,” said the agent.
“And the other settlement? The one from the State?” asked Melinda.
“The standard policy will be paid out today since the cost of funerals and arrangements can be expensive. Standard taxes off the top and so on and so forth. The other policy will be honored if we find there is no foul play,” said the agent.
“May I see the paperwork?” asked Melinda. The agent handed over the legal paperwork and saw her husband had dropped twenty thousand dollars on the new policy and named her and the children as the beneficiaries. She had no knowledge of the policy, much less where her husband came up with the money to start it, especially in the amounts he was talking about. She continued reading and saw it was properly notarized and everything seemed in order.
But what she didn’t know was her late husband started feeling like things weren’t going to be going his way. And that gut feeling just wasn’t going away. He knew some things happened and the crowd Waters had been dealing with was shady to say the least. So to make sure his family was covered in case of any “accidents” he took out the additional life insurance policy and made sure it was large enough for them to be comfortable.
The more Melinda read, the more she was in awe of what her husband had done. It was like he had lived two separate lives. She would be even more awed when the agent left and she searched the garage and found the remainder of the cash. She had no idea what her husband had been up to at work much less why he halfway attempted to hide the cash in their home. But every conclusion she came up with wasn’t good. And she was forced to realize her husband probably wasn’t as squeaky clean as she once thought he was. But at the same time, he was a good father and a good provider so possibly there was a really good reason for the money to be there.
Melinda would think long and hard over the next few weeks about the money, her husband and the reports of his untimely death. One thing was for certain, she wanted vengeance on whoever had killed him and would stop at nothing to avenge her beloved husband.
********************
“This is certainly an unusual case,” said the Justice of the Sixth Circuit Court as he looked at the Tennessee Attorney General over the top of his glasses.
“Two States not getting along needs the attention of a higher power,” said the Attorney General.
“Yes, I can see that. So Tennessee wants New York to check the case once again and reinvestigate. Plus investigating the investigator for foul play. And they refused on both accounts?” asked the Judge.
“Not really refused. They want the girl back as a condition,” said the Attorney General.
“And the Governor says no?” asked the Judge.
“As a short answer, he won’t send her back until all legalities are taken care of,” said the Attorney General.
“And something you don’t entirely agree with?” asked the Judge.
“I would prefer New York handle it without us getting involved. But at the same time, I’m not ready to send that girl back to a place where she will be abused. Or even the chance of being abused,” said the Attorney General.
“I can understand that,” said the Judge as he continued reading. An item of interest caught his eye and he flipped over to the enclosures in the documents. “What’s this?”
“A transcript of the conversation between the girl and her father and the girl and the so called investigator. I heard the recording myself and it makes the case even more clear cut,” said the Attorney General.
“How so?” asked the Judge.
“Well, the investigator all but admits to not investigating the case like he should have. Plus the threats her father makes and the lack of follow up by the Social Services. It certainly does point to foul play,” said the Attorney General.
The Judge read through the transcript for a page or two and his mouth turned into a frown. He didn’t care for what he read much less for the kind of person who would say such things. While he knew of and expected corruption in some government agencies, he felt like his hands were getting dirty just reading the file.
“This is like plutonium! No agent would ever be caught dead saying such things!” objected the Judge.
“It’s valid,” said the Attorney General.
“How is that?” asked the Judge.
“We compared the voice on the recording to Steven Waters from New York. It’s a match,” said the Attorney General.
“And her father?” asked the Judge.
“We haven’t spoken to him so we have no baseline comparison to make,” said the Attorney General.
“So for the moment we are going on this girl’s testimony?” asked the Judge.
“We are and with that file, you can see what the experts are saying,” said the Attorney General.
“It’ll take me some time to read through this,” said the Judge.
“It will, but at the same time, we are hoping for an expedited hearing,” said the Attorney General.
“Why is that?” asked the Judge.
“Because we don’t want this to turn ugly like it can and will if the press gets a hold of it,” said the Attorney General.
“Which they can and will once it hits the docket here,” said the Judge.
“We’ll take care of that when it comes down to it,” said the Attorney General.
“And the ultimate goal?” asked the Judge.
“To get a complete and thorough investigation and get that family some safety. We also included our investigation report into the community and the things that go on there,” said the Attorney General.
“I see that…kind of risky sending in an undercover cop into that compound,” said the Judge.
“It is, but we felt it was necessary to gather additional information,” said the Attorney General.
“And the girl? She is being treated well?” asked the Judge.
“Staying with a foster family for the time being. She is being treated just fine,” said the Attorney General.
“And her goal?” asked the Judge.
“To get her family into a safe environment,” said the Attorney General.
“I’ll put it on the docket, but at the same time, you better be ready for a rough time in the press. They like to get stories like this. Confrontations between States makes good news,” said the Judge.
“We will be ready for it,” said the Attorney General.
“I’ll get in touch with the New York Attorney General and let him know the time and date,” said the Judge.
“They might not be so accommodating,” said the Attorney General.
“They being stubborn?” asked the Judge.
“Fairly so,” said the Attorney General.
“I can be more so. Comes with old age and prerogative of position,” laughed the Judge.
“How long?” asked the Attorney General.
“Maybe a week or two depending on what’s on the schedule,” said the Judge. “But as a reminder, I can only call for a reinvestigation.”
“That’s about all we could want or need,” said the Attorney General. “Well, maybe observer status during the investigation.”
“I can’t make that part of the bargain,” said the Judge.
“You can suggest it,” said the Attorney General.
“Maybe I will,” said the Judge thoughtfully, already starting to prepare his written opinion on this case. It was certainly unusual enough with the basic civil rights being taken away or rather enforced on the unwilling. It would make a dandy opinion that could propel him into the spotlight. And if he ever wanted to make it into the Supreme Court, he would need good opinions of a variety of subjects that got noticed.
Little did he know his opinion would get noticed by those in higher powers. And sometimes they didn’t care for his opinion one bit.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: