Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The basics" have been lost in combat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • xdpatriot
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt In Oklahoma View Post
    I'm trying to remember all the best defense episodes,kinda hard with many seasons but they made one on solar cooking, field dentistry, solar pasterurization of water, bugout bags. I thought that was pretty good for a gun/knife self defense tv show to tackle and reconize the need above just ownership and combat training. What all did you see?
    Yes sir, I saw those. They did the solar purification, which in a pinch could work, but not the best option in my opinion. Filtering, tablets, Clorox the like is preferable. They touched on food, but never got in depth on it. Kinds, brands, different scenarios and needs of different people. Overall, they did ok. I didn't like the zombie episode ( I know it was just for fun) and some of the things their main firearms instructor teaches, I think are dangerous. Little things, the way he moves his feet while he shoots is ridiculous in my opinion. Crossing over isn't the best way, rather boxing or shooting. IMO. He also did one on mag retention in a gunfight. I also thought that was dangerous. People that don't know any better are taking that type of thing as gospel. When the hair is flying, you do what's fastest and most efficient, economy of motion. My 2 cents.

    They did show how to add some snares and things, the ground fighting was mostly accurate. All in all its an ok show.

    Sorry Matt for taking a long time to respond, lost track.

    Leave a comment:


  • Klayton
    replied
    Ruh Roh

    LOL sorry couldn't resist!! :cool:

    Leave a comment:


  • Gus14
    Guest replied
    I have always been a huge advocate of community living post SHTF or in an EOTWAWKI.
    There is no way a family can make it 100% on their own. It didnt happen 150 years ago when people had the skills in them to live off the land so it SURELY wont happen now post SHTF, Google wont be there to answer people's questions.
    When you are doing your chores, your soft underbelly is showing. You are focused on the task at hand and your hands are busy. You are now easy prey for vermin. That is when it is handy to have people around you that share a common goal......get the chores done and stay safe/secure while doing it. To this extent, community is the way to go. Say today is wood splitting day. Well, the morning can be spent with half the crew holding axes and the other half holding rifles, after lunch, switch. This does a few things. It allows you and your crew to rotate through the hard labor jobs reducing chances of injury and pain. It also puts fresh eyes on the lookout for potential threats. It also gives everyone the oppertunity to enjoy splitting wood or falling trees. The same tactic can be applied to all of the hard labor jobs that need to be done. You also have the added benefit of having many hands working on common projects. This allows more projects to be completed in less time.

    Having been around for a while and having a little first hand experience I am of the opinion that while many may think they are the great lone wolf able to handle anything and everything. When the weather is ok and you dont have a lot of people shooting at you, this may be true, but when faced with a blizzard, a flood, or a squad of well trained and supplied combatants, they are more like scooby doo than the big bad wolf.

    Leave a comment:


  • JUSTIFIED
    replied
    Originally posted by becky3086 View Post
    I agree with Will, and I think who you pick as friends is going to be a lot more important than the enemies that come. People think they are prepared and can do anything but we rely on other people a whole lot and we'll need help with whatever we do.
    Good point Becky. We've gotten to meet some of the folks here on the board but most aren't close to us geographically. We're working to meet folks in the little town we just moved to so we can start determining their mindset and, over time, decide whether to trust them or not regarding some of the things we are doing to prepare.

    Leave a comment:


  • becky3086
    replied
    I agree with Will, and I think who you pick as friends is going to be a lot more important than the enemies that come. People think they are prepared and can do anything but we rely on other people a whole lot and we'll need help with whatever we do.

    Leave a comment:


  • JUSTIFIED
    replied
    Originally posted by xdpatriot View Post
    I think Will also makes a great point. Day to day chores aren't gonna be accomplished with 70 pounds of gear on. I do think a lot of people are caught up in the "tacticool" elements of things. I believe that's why there is so much zombie stuff flying around. We all need to make sure we have our logistics in order. They tried to make a show in 'the best defense'. They didn't cover enough topics that were practical in my opinion. Water and food should be on the top of our lists.
    I think it will just depend on how bad things get as to where opsec is placed in our survival priorities.

    Leave a comment:


  • Matt In Oklahoma
    replied
    Originally posted by xdpatriot View Post
    I think Will also makes a great point. Day to day chores aren't gonna be accomplished with 70 pounds of gear on. I do think a lot of people are caught up in the "tacticool" elements of things. I believe that's why there is so much zombie stuff flying around. We all need to make sure we have our logistics in order. They tried to make a show in 'the best defense'. They didn't cover enough topics that were practical in my opinion. Water and food should be on the top of our lists.
    I'm trying to remember all the best defense episodes,kinda hard with many seasons but they made one on solar cooking, field dentistry, solar pasterurization of water, bugout bags. I thought that was pretty good for a gun/knife self defense tv show to tackle and reconize the need above just ownership and combat training. What all did you see?

    Leave a comment:


  • xdpatriot
    replied
    Originally posted by WILL View Post
    I have, more than once. This thread isn't about becoming a better combatant. It's about the reality that survival in TEOTWAWKI probably won't entail us wearing our battle rattle and being tactical near as much as many think it will. Most of your time will be filled up with the day to day chores that sustain life.
    I think Will also makes a great point. Day to day chores aren't gonna be accomplished with 70 pounds of gear on. I do think a lot of people are caught up in the "tacticool" elements of things. I believe that's why there is so much zombie stuff flying around. We all need to make sure we have our logistics in order. They tried to make a show in 'the best defense'. They didn't cover enough topics that were practical in my opinion. Water and food should be on the top of our lists.

    Leave a comment:


  • JUSTIFIED
    replied
    Originally posted by WILL View Post
    I have, more than once. This thread isn't about becoming a better combatant. It's about the reality that survival in TEOTWAWKI probably won't entail us wearing our battle rattle and being tactical near as much as many think it will. Most of your time will be filled up with the day to day chores that sustain life.
    I imagine you're right Will but, depending on how bad things get, some folks/neighbors will do things you wouldn't think possible so though it may not be likely it is possible and therefore somewhat of a concern for those of us who haven't had to pull the trigger. It's not a top priority but I do want to be prepared for this type of thing as much as possible. I would be completely content if things got bad and folks left us alone to just take care of ourselves.

    Leave a comment:


  • WILL
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
    There are some here who have been in that situation. Perhaps they would be willing to chime in...
    I have, more than once. This thread isn't about becoming a better combatant. It's about the reality that survival in TEOTWAWKI probably won't entail us wearing our battle rattle and being tactical near as much as many think it will. Most of your time will be filled up with the day to day chores that sustain life.

    Leave a comment:


  • JUSTIFIED
    replied
    Originally posted by xdpatriot View Post
    I wish I knew. Like you said, training is one thing. It's a whole different ball of wax when someones pointing a gun at you. I really don't know what to say on that. I don't know how a person prepares.
    There are some here who have been in that situation. Perhaps they would be willing to chime in...

    Leave a comment:


  • xdpatriot
    replied
    I wish I knew. Like you said, training is one thing. It's a whole different ball of wax when someones pointing a gun at you. I really don't know what to say on that. I don't know how a person prepares.

    Leave a comment:


  • JUSTIFIED
    replied
    Originally posted by xdpatriot View Post
    I agree also. You've got to be squared away logistically first and foremost. Your families food, water, meds, etc. are the most important in my opinion. However, if you don't have basic training or at least some idea of how to protect your property, I think you're asking for trouble. Knowledge is power in EVERY aspect of being prepared. Including self defense. I will say this also. If you've never had a gun pointed at you and the other person has the intent of killing you, you had better sit down and think about it long and hard. It's difficult to prepare for the flood of emotions that come after the fact. Mental preparation is important as well in my opinion.
    I imagine that one is very important...dealing with post shooting emotions. It's one thing to target shoot or shoot an animal...or a corrupt politician...but shooting a human and either injuring or killing them is another. Other than past experience what prepares one mentally and emotionally for the worst case scenario of having to shoot someone?

    Leave a comment:


  • xdpatriot
    replied
    I agree also. You've got to be squared away logistically first and foremost. Your families food, water, meds, etc. are the most important in my opinion. However, if you don't have basic training or at least some idea of how to protect your property, I think you're asking for trouble. Knowledge is power in EVERY aspect of being prepared. Including self defense. I will say this also. If you've never had a gun pointed at you and the other person has the intent of killing you, you had better sit down and think about it long and hard. It's difficult to prepare for the flood of emotions that come after the fact. Mental preparation is important as well in my opinion.
    Last edited by xdpatriot; 10-06-2012, 07:38 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • protus
    replied
    it's easy to pull a trigger ,, its harder to have the strength and will to do what needs to be done prior...
    most folks havent lugged around that 10lb railed out AR for more than a few range days let alone 3-5 hiours walking through the woods patrol style,,with the gear to go with it....

    think of it this way how many people you think actually hike,,and i mean more than 5 miles with their so called 100lb BOB's......


    good post and very good points

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X