Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BO Gasoline storage

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • crossbow
    replied
    Originally posted by Romulus View Post
    I have family living in the Dallas/FW metroplex and THOUGHT I had a good idea to ensure a full tank of gas when BO times comes: Keep 3 - 5 gallon containers of gas (the red plastic ones with the new spill-proof spouts) in the garage and rotate them by using the gas in one of them each month and refilling. Then when the SHTF, they would have ample gas to make it to my retreat here in Arkansas. However, while reading Spigarelli's "Crisis Preparedness Handbook", he talks about how dangerous this is (not to mention possibly being illegal and voiding homeowners fire insurance). Plan B would be to keep both cars at least half full of gas, then siphon from one to the other when needed.

    Any other Ideas? Plan B scares me because I KNOW my kids like to drive on fumes!!
    just store the cans in seperate places in the garage, like one on the back wall and the other 2 on each wall by the door, then if any freak accident does happen, you can usually get 2 cans out, another safe way would be to build a wood box out of plywood just a couple inches wider than the cans and almost as high, set each can in its own box and if one should ever leak it won't be spreading all over the floor spreading a fire. it will also keep sunlight from hitting the cans and expanding the gas so fast

    Leave a comment:


  • monkeybird
    replied
    I kept 10 gallons of gasoline in my garage for over 2 years. I only recycled it once a year because I used STA-BIL. The directions on the bottle say if you double the amount, the gas will last over a year. I tested it twice - i.e. once a year x 2, and had absolutely no problem with using it in my car. Others on the forum use another brand, but I can't remember the name of it.

    I had very little fumes from my red plastic gas container.

    Leave a comment:


  • splat23
    replied
    I dont see how any more dangerous this is when you store gas for the lawn mower or chain saw. I have about 10 gallons of gas in the garage right now. I also have a propane tank, charcoal, wood and starter fluid.

    I would actually check your homeowners policy and then see from there.

    I for one plan on having a means to get out when it's time.

    Helping people on a daily basis when they run out of gas, it's not pretty on a good day when your not in a rush.

    Leave a comment:


  • Romulus
    started a topic BO Gasoline storage

    BO Gasoline storage

    I have family living in the Dallas/FW metroplex and THOUGHT I had a good idea to ensure a full tank of gas when BO times comes: Keep 3 - 5 gallon containers of gas (the red plastic ones with the new spill-proof spouts) in the garage and rotate them by using the gas in one of them each month and refilling. Then when the SHTF, they would have ample gas to make it to my retreat here in Arkansas. However, while reading Spigarelli's "Crisis Preparedness Handbook", he talks about how dangerous this is (not to mention possibly being illegal and voiding homeowners fire insurance). Plan B would be to keep both cars at least half full of gas, then siphon from one to the other when needed.

    Any other Ideas? Plan B scares me because I KNOW my kids like to drive on fumes!!
Working...
X