Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Georgia Campout and meet and greet, November 16-18th 2012

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • blackhawk
    replied
    Is there a list of what classes/demo. people will be puting on?

    Leave a comment:


  • 1Admin
    replied
    All you need is a shovel. I usually throw a shovel in the truck with the firewood but just in case I forget, you may want to bring one.

    Leave a comment:


  • WiseOwl
    replied
    Anyone ever made a Dakota fire pit? I would like to learn how to. If there is time, who wants to try one?

    Leave a comment:


  • Lowdown3
    replied
    Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

    Leave a comment:


  • WiseOwl
    replied
    I will bring Honey Boo Boo's mom with me to stay warm.... :cool:

    Leave a comment:


  • 1Admin
    replied
    Honey Boo Boo lives around there!? Awesome! Invite her! I've never met her but they joke about her at the gym. :)

    Actually I'm thinking we are going to have plenty of "plucky comic relief" at this one... :)

    Leave a comment:


  • blackhawk
    replied
    I'll be there on friday after 1:00 have to stop by honey boo boo's house first . bringing my son 14 years old both of us are looking forward to it.

    Leave a comment:


  • WiseOwl
    replied
    Getting close my friends.

    So who is all coming?

    LD3, I secured "you know what" for pictures.....lol

    Leave a comment:


  • 1Admin
    replied
    Yes water source at the camp but it's a hose.

    Many people have drank this water and went on to live (somewhat) normal lives..... SO I HEAR

    Just kidding, the water is fine there but it does come out of a hose.

    Leave a comment:


  • WiseOwl
    replied
    Looks like I may sleep in my Prius.....lol

    Are there any water sources near the primitive areas or is it wise to just bring some water?
    I guess since I am not backpacking I can live luxurious for a day or two. I will continuously eat bacon. Bacon does not do well backpacking. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • 1Admin
    replied
    No. We have the Primitive Camp site area reserved, it holds over 50 people. You don't need to reserve with the park.

    It is not Oct 26-28 however.

    It's November 17, 18, 19th

    Sorry, thought I had previously responded to the "do we need to reserve with the park" question.

    RSVP's to me are nice, but not 100% necessary.

    WHAT IS NECESSARY- is that you check this thread that Friday morning (around 10am) to get the gate code OR call my cell and get it (if you don't get through I always leave the gate code on campout weekends on the voice mail. 912.375.1480

    The park will NOT give out the gate code until the day of the camp, I've tried to get it ahead of time for a decade now and they won't do it. We normally leave the gate closed but NOT locked, but the rangers sometimes lock it. Worse comes to come, ask at the front and they will give it to you.

    Leave a comment:


  • blackhawk
    replied
    FACILITIES AVAILABLE for October 26-28:
    Group Shelter / Picnic Shelters / Tent & RV Pull-Thru Campsites / Amphitheater / Horse Campsites (contact park for Amphitheater, Horse Campsite, General Coffee Shelter, Shelter #7, Primitive Camping, reservations 912-384-7082.)

    This is from the www.gastateparks/generalcoffe web site. do we need to do reservations ?

    Leave a comment:


  • blackhawk
    replied
    Thanks Rock river answered some. Do we have to pay at gate and how much?

    Leave a comment:


  • rockriver
    replied
    blackhawk, and others who are "considering"
    first off "GO DOGS!"
    i'm not sure what you are asking.. i'll try to answer.. and try to cover several versions of your question.
    but also i strongly reocommend going back through thread and reading all of 1 admins notes.

    assuming you are asking about cabins...
    yes. my experience is that cabin rentals are based on reservations and if they have empties that weren't reserved, then they rent them out on a first come first served basis. i'd suggest calling the state park to make that reservation. i've done that before... nice cabins, but several miles from the primitive area.

    assuming you aren't interested in a cabin.
    i'm not a boss, coordinator, sponsor, arranger, chairman, captain, or the head honcho. just a guy who has been at this campout before... so consider that as you read my response.
    i'm sure that 1admin needs to know that you are coming. i'd suggest sending him an email with a brief introduction of you and the folks you are bringing. this will help all who are there
    know that you aren't just some lost soul who wants to crash the gathering. example, ga boy has openly said he has health issues. knowing this, there will be some guys that give a helping hand. smooth out the introduction process by writing 1admin a note.

    the campground area we use is "primitive" there are no marked camping spots.. claiming your piece of dirt has been first come first served in the past. there is plenty of dirt, plenty of spaces.
    lots of spaces near the dirt drive so you can park near your tent. most folks will be setting up somewhere near the central campfire area. (saves steps)
    this campout has been in very cold weather, and in wet weather before. one ole geezer brought a large tarp and strung it between the trees, providing rain cover. that fella actually reserved spots for a few fellow campers. i think there were 3 tents set up under the big tarp.
    i've heard he's not planning to bring the tarp this time as weather looks mild.
    if you and a friend are both coming, and friend will get there first, all the friend has got to do, is toss a blanket or a tarp on the ground near his tent, and toss a backpack on top of the tarp/blanket and i don't believe anyone will bother that "spot"
    so in that regard, yes. your spot will be reserved!

    there aren't any "awesome views" or "lakeside/riverside preferred spots."

    hope to meet you there.

    Leave a comment:


  • blackhawk
    replied
    DOES EVERYONE NEED TO RESERVE A SPOT OR FIRST COME ?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X