Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
lts spam vs store brand
Collapse
X
-
Once we're settled in the new house(new to us. Built in 1968)we're going to start doing some canning, dehydrating, etc...Can't wait!Originally posted by Karen View PostYes. Definitely safe enough as long as you follow USDA guidlines. Don't try to take any shortcuts tho.
Leave a comment:
-
Yes. Definitely safe enough as long as you follow USDA guidlines. Don't try to take any shortcuts tho.
Leave a comment:
-
I've heard that canning meat can be tricky. Do you guys think it's safe enough?
Leave a comment:
-
I might be canning some chicken this summer too. It depends on how many roosters we butcher. I don't want to try to can just a couple of chickens. I'd rather do a minimum of 5 or 6 at a time.
Leave a comment:
-
I am NOT a Spam, Vienna sausage or potted meat fan, way too much of it as a kid, We do have some of each in our stores but not a major source of protein for us.
I do have some off brand Spam, and tried it before we decided to stock it. Not as tasty as the name brand but edible.
We have a dozen chickens in the can (sweet sue) as well as 4 dzn chunk white chicken (great value) that is pretty awesome.
A little mayo, relish, onion and an egg or two,, and the chunk white meat makes a great chicken salad!
The Sweet Sue gets a very gentle and careful, quick trip on the grill for added flavor and texture, makes a decent entree. We lost the wings the first time on the grill.
The wife made a gravy from the juice that made the meal!! Not PC but delicious none the less.
We are working on canning our own meats and will be trying young chickens after the garden harvest or maybe next spring.
Leave a comment:
-
I'm not a Spam fan but agree about taste. I bought a few GV brand spams and they weren't as good as the name brand. I'm with you on buying the chicken instead. We're also stocking up on Albacore tuna. A bit pricey but good stuff!Originally posted by Karen View PostThe store brands don't usually tast as good as Spam. I've been concentrating more on Sweet Sue canned chicken. It's $4.99 for a 50 oz whole, cooked, chicken in a can. That works out to about 10 cents per oz. Spam is $2.50 for a 12 oz can which works out to over 20 cents per oz. The chicken includes the bones, but they have a use too.
I don't know about the nitrates, but there is 150 mg of sodium in a serving of the Sweet Sue chicken and 790 mg of sodium per serving of Spam.
Leave a comment:
-
It's your fault now, cause when i looked at mine to see how old it was and one seemed to disappear
mmmmmm i can hear my arteries clogging now mmmmm
Leave a comment:
-
I have tried others but I return to my favorite "Bacon flavored Spam"...(did ya notice that Bacon and Spam were capitalized)
Leave a comment:
-
Cool. I'm just concerned with longitivity. I have plenty of seasoning for taste. It is Damn near 1/2 the price.
Leave a comment:
-
Its all the same lol but just all depends on storage personally. I just opened a can i had from about 5yrs ago of off brand and still just as good
Leave a comment:
-
Got me some 4 yr old generic spam from aldies thats still good.
generic spam, whew how cheap am I ? LOL
Leave a comment:
-
The store brands don't usually tast as good as Spam. I've been concentrating more on Sweet Sue canned chicken. It's $4.99 for a 50 oz whole, cooked, chicken in a can. That works out to about 10 cents per oz. Spam is $2.50 for a 12 oz can which works out to over 20 cents per oz. The chicken includes the bones, but they have a use too.
I don't know about the nitrates, but there is 150 mg of sodium in a serving of the Sweet Sue chicken and 790 mg of sodium per serving of Spam.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: