Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you store?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1Admin
    replied
    The plainer the cereal, the better it does in storage.

    Leave a comment:


  • ATHURMON198
    replied
    Can you store dried cereals? Plain cheerios, etc? What are some other good options if so?

    Leave a comment:


  • JUSTIFIED
    replied
    Just saw a thread about preppers under thirty and someone giving Grandpa Matt a hard time...chuckle....It made me think of medical devices. Part of our stock up is a variety of medical things including a walker, crutches, arm sling, ankle/foot brace, etc....If you have an accident (sprained or broken body part) you won't be able to go to the pharmacy and get these.

    Leave a comment:


  • Irish-Tech
    replied
    link to Wendy's site

    here is a link to a seminar including several youtube videos.

    and finally here is a link to the booklet itself.

    Leave a comment:


  • MJC
    replied
    The origional address is actually everythingunderthesunblogspot.com It hasn't been updated since March, but some of the archives are still worth a read.

    Leave a comment:


  • MJC
    replied
    Sorry about that. I just went to check it out, things have changed a bit over there. I found the book on another site called allbboutfoodstorage.com then scroll down the page almost to the bottom it will have "wendy dewitt's food storage system 2010 printable presentation", just click on it. If that dosen't work, google "wendy dewitt food storage system download" I've found it on a few different sites. I hope you all get as much out of it as I did. also watch her videos, she's a hoot.

    Leave a comment:


  • miked2345
    replied
    Originally posted by MJC View Post
    I know I've mentioned it before on another thread, but I need to bring a FREE book download to everyones' attention. It is available for download on everythingunderthesun.com This woman, Wendy Dewitt is an L.D.S. food storage specialist. She also has a few videos on utube. (I found them by typing- wendy dewitt utube) If there is anyone who knows food storage, it's the mormons. I have no affiliation with this woman or her church, but I beileve the information in this book is a must have for anyone, not just preppers. Download it, print it, and pass it around.
    What's the name of the book? I went to the website you mentioned, but it looks like a real estate / business website.

    Leave a comment:


  • JUSTIFIED
    replied
    Originally posted by MJC View Post
    I know I've mentioned it before on another thread, but I need to bring a FREE book download to everyones' attention. It is available for download on everythingunderthesun.com This woman, Wendy Dewitt is an L.D.S. food storage specialist. She also has a few videos on utube. (I found them by typing- wendy dewitt utube) If there is anyone who knows food storage, it's the mormons. I have no affiliation with this woman or her church, but I beileve the information in this book is a must have for anyone, not just preppers. Download it, print it, and pass it around.
    Thanks! I'll check it out!

    Leave a comment:


  • Daelith
    replied
    Thank you for the info MJC. Found some answers to some questions I had about Food Savers and sealing jars.

    Found this blog site that had a lot of her videos all together - http://letusprepare.blogspot.com/200...e-seminar.html

    Leave a comment:


  • MJC
    replied
    I know I've mentioned it before on another thread, but I need to bring a FREE book download to everyones' attention. It is available for download on everythingunderthesun.com This woman, Wendy Dewitt is an L.D.S. food storage specialist. She also has a few videos on utube. (I found them by typing- wendy dewitt utube) If there is anyone who knows food storage, it's the mormons. I have no affiliation with this woman or her church, but I beileve the information in this book is a must have for anyone, not just preppers. Download it, print it, and pass it around.

    Leave a comment:


  • meyekey
    replied
    Been a while since I've been on. Nice to see that this thread took off.

    I have taken some of the advice and started working and storing foods that I normally wouldn't.

    We even bought a cheap grain mill, have been doing our own flour and using it in place of store bought flour. And... we are actually really enjoying it.

    I still havn't sealed up the mylar bags, I am waiting on a bit more food and will do it all at once, but I am pretty happy with how things are coming along. When its all said and done I will probably have a good 6 month supply of food for the 2 of us and 3 months of water + the ability to purify more. Not a bad start

    The nice part is we are finding that being a "prepper" really isn't that difficult and we have noticed very little change to our budget. We have just been making a point of picking up 1 item everytime we are out. Case of water, bag of rice, extra batteries.... I can only imagine how many supplies we would have if we kept this up for even a year.

    We have also really stepped up our gardening we doubled the size switched to all heirloom seeds and planted apple trees that are already producing. By next summer we should be able to put up quite a bit!

    Thanks everyone for the thoughts and encouragment as we continue to prep!

    Leave a comment:


  • jimmydiablo
    replied
    Originally posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
    Adding to what Kilo said, the better you feel the better you'll function.

    That is true, I feel weighed down and sluggish without my morning shower

    Leave a comment:


  • JUSTIFIED
    replied
    Adding to what Kilo said, the better you feel the better you'll function.

    Leave a comment:


  • JUSTIFIED
    replied
    Originally posted by kilogulf59 View Post
    If you're packing a bag to leave, necessities only. But, if you are already there, why not "prep" everything? Unless you're envisioning a 10+ years survival period, room shouldn't be an issue...

    You have to remember that so called luxuries are also moral builders. A good bathing, shave, and clean clothes will make a huge difference in one's mindset. Look at the soldiers in the trenches in WWI or in extended combat in WWII. The little things made huge differences. Chewing gum, cards, tobacco, washing one's feet or entire body.

    The necessities are food, water, shelter, fire, and guns/ammo...I guess anything else could be classified as a luxury...why not have some?
    I want you in my trench Kilo! It will definitely smell better!...chuckle...

    Seriously though...hail, tornados, wind storms, flash floods, ice and blizzard(depending on the season)are common here so we prep for those in particular. But the last few years Patriot Lady and me have started prepping for any natural disaster that might happen but more importantly for the economic disaster that, in our minds, is inevitable.

    Leave a comment:


  • kilogulf59
    Guest replied
    If you're packing a bag to leave, necessities only. But, if you are already there, why not "prep" everything? Unless you're envisioning a 10+ years survival period, room shouldn't be an issue...

    You have to remember that so called luxuries are also moral builders. A good bathing, shave, and clean clothes will make a huge difference in one's mindset. Look at the soldiers in the trenches in WWI or in extended combat in WWII. The little things made huge differences. Chewing gum, cards, tobacco, washing one's feet or entire body.

    The necessities are food, water, shelter, fire, and guns/ammo...I guess anything else could be classified as a luxury...why not have some?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X