Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12v prep supplies

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DIM TIM
    replied
    Originally posted by WAB View Post
    I bought one of these and then ordered two more.



    You can clip these most anywhere for light. Being an LED, the batterries will last a while. It has two leds for two brightness levels. You could put them on the head of your bed for an emergency light or use it as a reading light.


    WAB
    Had not thought about these. I go to Barnes and Noble to check out some things at times, and see all sorts of reading lamps like these. Nice idea.

    Leave a comment:


  • WAB
    replied
    I bought one of these and then ordered two more.



    You can clip these most anywhere for light. Being an LED, the batterries will last a while. It has two leds for two brightness levels. You could put them on the head of your bed for an emergency light or use it as a reading light.


    WAB

    Leave a comment:


  • claymore
    replied
    Will check those sites out. Deficient in this area; just a loud genny and a few cheap solar lights from Home Depot.

    Leave a comment:


  • DIM TIM
    replied
    Got to thinking about something that I ordered a while back for a small 12V emergency lighting set I plan to build soon, and wanted to share it. I plan to build a self-contained unit that will have a small, simple table lamp that uses one of these (about 3/4 of the way down the page) bayonet lamp adapters and a bunch of packs of tail lamps from the local auto parts store.

    DC compact fluorescent lamps, dc lights, 12 volt lights, 24 volt dc lights, 12 volt light bulbs, 32 volt lights, 48 volt lights, fluorescent lights, montana lights, 12 volt DC floodlights, wall or ceiling dc lights, light bulb adapters, fluorescent light ballasts,


    The original idea was mentioned in the novel PATRIOTS: Surviving the coming collapse by James Wesley, Rawles of SurvivalBlog.com fame. The original company mentioned is still in business, but they no longer sell the adapters, so I had to do a bit of searching before I found the company linked above had them. They are not cheap, but they are well worth the money spent IMO. I bought two, and hope that maybe I can get a bunch more some time later. :D

    Leave a comment:


  • Patriotic Sheepdog
    replied
    Has anyone heard about el-wire? I'm pretty sure it can be adapted to a 12V system. It is an electroluminescent wire, supposed to draw low power. I don't think it would provide a ton of light, but may provide enough for a comm center, or small space without OPSEC issues. Many colors, so if you want you could use red to save your night vision. Maybe good for an LP/OP. I've only started reading about it, so I don't have experience. Would love to hear people's thoughts. Just do a web search for el-wire.

    Leave a comment:


  • WAB
    replied
    Originally posted by overbore View Post
    Generator experiences here;

    Lived aboard our heavy boat with an Onan diesel gen set, house battery bank, starting battery bank 12 v lights and most radios. In 1998 we were hit badly by a tornado in our home ; lived on a old Onan 5Kw natural gas gen set for about two weeks.
    Now we have a rebuilt home, a 7.5 Ng/propane gen set, a 12 Crown battery bank ,Zantec/inverter-charger for our battery emergency power system and have decided that if the TSHTF, we go with quiet gen ops by day and battery power by night as my opinion is that September will be a month of big changes and I do not have time to get solar panels installed and sorted out.

    Laus Deo
    overbore
    I would hate to live by a generator. But we all do what we have to do. I have been researching sailboat living and or cruising. I think it is neat to be able to go where you want by windpower. Get tired of one place and just go to another. That is just neat.


    WAB

    Leave a comment:


  • overbore
    replied
    Generator experiences here;

    Lived aboard our heavy boat with an Onan diesel gen set, house battery bank, starting battery bank 12 v lights and most radios. In 1998 we were hit badly by a tornado in our home ; lived on a old Onan 5Kw natural gas gen set for about two weeks.
    Now we have a rebuilt home, a 7.5 Ng/propane gen set, a 12 Crown battery bank ,Zantec/inverter-charger for our battery emergency power system and have decided that if the TSHTF, we go with quiet gen ops by day and battery power by night as my opinion is that September will be a month of big changes and I do not have time to get solar panels installed and sorted out.

    Laus Deo
    overbore

    Leave a comment:


  • WAB
    replied
    Thanks, Its been awhile!!


    WAB

    Leave a comment:


  • Lowdown3
    replied
    Hey WAB, welcome to the forums!

    Leave a comment:


  • Matt In Oklahoma
    replied
    Originally posted by WAB View Post
    There is nothing better than a generator running during a blackout for advertising!! You can hear that thing for 3 miles!!WAB
    I have thought about that alot on SHTF. My take on it is that around here is that yes, everyone can hear it, however up front short term everyone around here uses them, so why not go ahead for the first few days to week and use it. Once i stop hearing theirs then i will limit my usage. Because of the weather related disasters in these parts alot of folks have generators and they will using fireplaces, woodstoves etc. so the smoke won't be a "giveaway" It's not uncommon at all. I think that all the way up to at least a week and maybe more folks will still be in that denial phase and won't be on the lookout for OPSEC failures. Most people I know only have 6-8 hrs of fuel on hand which i find amusing because anything that happens is at least a 3 day event. I think that using the generator short term will also buy me the time to dry my meat, over the firepit, thats in the freezers/fridge to preserve it. I usually have several deer/hogs and small game along with regular groceries. That dried meat could go a long way for stores and trade or a goodwill gesture towards needed neighbors on about day 4-5 when it sets in and the day to day livers start to run low. Right now I lost a hog with the one freezer the other day after the lightening but still have about 4 deer left over from season at about 175lbs of meat.
    What do you all think?

    Leave a comment:


  • WAB
    replied
    Originally posted by DIM TIM View Post
    RV suppliers are a great place for looking for 12 VDC system equipment and products. Two that are located within 200 miles of me are...

    Find the perfect RV for your next adventure at Camping World, the nation's largest RV dealer. Browse travel trailers, motorhomes, fifth wheels!


    Midwest RV Center is a full service St. Louis RV dealership with the best selection of new and used RVs in the Missouri and Midwest area.


    Both have a good service department that sells parts for a wide selection of RV's, and I have a few old catalogs from the Midwest RV Center that contains all sorts of items for 12V systems.
    You also might want to try the J.C. WHitney catalog for 12VDC parts and devices.

    Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

    .
    I had forgotten about them. Thats a great place too. I have found some inverters at a cheap price at TA truckstops too.

    Just remember that in the event of any sort of a grid-down situation, OPSEC should be observed religously to keep your home from becoming a target from those that didn't have the foresight to prepare themselves.
    That is the best advice yet. There is nothing better than a generator running during a blackout for advertising!! You can hear that thing for 3 miles!!

    WAB

    Leave a comment:


  • DIM TIM
    replied
    RV suppliers are a great place for looking for 12 VDC system equipment and products. Two that are located within 200 miles of me are...

    Find the perfect RV for your next adventure at Camping World, the nation's largest RV dealer. Browse travel trailers, motorhomes, fifth wheels!


    Midwest RV Center is a full service St. Louis RV dealership with the best selection of new and used RVs in the Missouri and Midwest area.


    Both have a good service department that sells parts for a wide selection of RV's, and I have a few old catalogs from the Midwest RV Center that contains all sorts of items for 12V systems.
    You also might want to try the J.C. WHitney catalog for 12VDC parts and devices.

    Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends


    I haven't built anything yet, but I have an electronics background, and I have some things going in the back of my mind for a small scale solar system for emergency lighting and powering a 12VDC multi-band radio for news and weather reports.
    Just remember that in the event of any sort of a grid-down situation, OPSEC should be observed religously to keep your home from becoming a target from those that didn't have the foresight to prepare themselves.
    Last edited by DIM TIM; 07-17-2011, 06:26 PM. Reason: Spelling and Punctuation

    Leave a comment:


  • Matt In Oklahoma
    replied
    There are a ton of posts about solar, fuel generators and other power sources on here, just keep looking.


    I have several of those lights and they were my backup plan during this years blizzard. Fail. LOL They were covered in 4-5ft of snow and i couldnt find them.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar yard light.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	106976


    I have a windup flashlight in the storm shelter and a shakeup charge light in the glovebox.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02801.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	106974 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02799.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	106972 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	106973





    We also have LED Christmas lights we use in the camper and house during powerdowns.

    I did a post here on garage sales where my wife got a self encased power invertor for $7

    Click image for larger version

Name:	500 wt power invertor pic 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	106975

    These are all great resources on short term stuff i have but i'm not doing good in the long term 12v stuff. It's an area i need work on

    Leave a comment:


  • WAB
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt In Oklahoma View Post
    What set up do you have? Do you have any pics?
    I dont have any pics. I have been trying some of the cheap yard solar lights that you can find at Walmart. You can add an on/off switch to them so you can charge them during the day and use them at nite. And can add a few together to charge more than one battery. Dont forget those windup/solar flashlights with radio.
    You can also ues the portable solar battery charger.


    WAB

    Leave a comment:


  • Matt In Oklahoma
    replied
    What set up do you have? Do you have any pics?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X