Thank you Tofu and Dilli, I will look around and see what I can find. My current garden is very small, just three small garden boxes and some items in containers, but this is a way to get my feet wet and learn from my mistakes. We have an Ace Hardware here, so I will see if they have any heirloom seeds, plus we have lots of farm type stores that I can check out.
Dilli, I agree on the SHTF seed packs. I have been tempted to purchase them in the past, however, I was very concerned in spending the money only to have the seeds not grow in my area. I also don't want to just purchase the survival seed kit and store it, I think I should be using my seeds and saving them.
Thanks again, I appreciate the information.
SC
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Seeds?
Collapse
X
-
yes SC and is the best way to do it when it gets down to it. Proven growers for your area is best. Talk with locals and see what works. Also, if you have a feed n seed that sells heirlooms, they will not likely stock what does not do well in your area. Our local Ace carries heirlooms and it is very cheap in comparison to most companies. I can buy a pound of seed there for what i could get two packs of seed through other companies.Originally posted by SCinPNW View PostI have a question regarding heirloom seeds. When I purchase hybrid seeds from the local garden store, they are specific to my zone here in the Pacific Northwest. Can I do the same with heirloom seeds? I would hate to purchase seeds that I cannot in our area.
Thanks,
SC
I personally think the SHTF seed packs stink and are generally a big giant rip off
Leave a comment:
-
Yes SC, just takes a bit of research to find what ya need. I have really started loving the Baker Creek folks. My garden has absolutely taken off with the seeds from the sampler pack.
Leave a comment:
-
I have a question regarding heirloom seeds. When I purchase hybrid seeds from the local garden store, they are specific to my zone here in the Pacific Northwest. Can I do the same with heirloom seeds? I would hate to purchase seeds that I cannot in our area.
Thanks,
SC
Leave a comment:
-
Nahh dude, you just plant a bunch of them at your BOL and around your apartment. If the SHTF you can sneak outside grab what ya need for a meal or two. Fire and forget gardening.
Leave a comment:
-
Matt - Yeah i have been thinking of planting a few herbs and maybe some tomatoes on the balcony.
Tofu - thanks for the weed videos now i spend hours figuring out what weeds i can eat :p
Leave a comment:
-
A great "weed" to plant is called a ground nut (Apios americana). The "fruit" can be harvested year round and grows well unattended.
Leave a comment:
-
You can store seeds from store bought seed packets as long as they are heirloom and not hybrid. The "seed bank" is just an insurance but like most preparartions it will need to be used within a few years. The reason to plant and grow is "practice". Growing is not easy. My problem with most "seed banks" is what they have in there. Half of it i have never heard of so I dont eat it and 1/4 of it doesnt grow well here. I'm really gonna encourage you to grow something, anything even if it is container gardening (a) to keep in practice and (b) so this doesnt happen to you http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/0...est=latestnews . Everything you grow runs you less risk than buying someone elses stuff that comes with unknowns!Originally posted by Irish-Tech View PostI am currently in an apartment so have valid way to plant. In the past though i have small raised garden beds. the BOL has fertile land and available water year round.i guess in general if i dont have to spend the money on the "seed bank" why do so. If i can buy packets of seeds at the farm to market plant them store those seeds for the future why not. im just wondering if anyone here has stored seeds gather from veggies from store bought seed packets. does that make any sense?
Leave a comment:
-
I am currently in an apartment so have valid way to plant. In the past though i have small raised garden beds. the BOL has fertile land and available water year round.
i guess in general if i dont have to spend the money on the "seed bank" why do so. If i can buy packets of seeds at the farm to market plant them store those seeds for the future why not. im just wondering if anyone here has stored seeds gather from veggies from store bought seed packets. does that make any sense?
Leave a comment:
-
I have a mixture of both heirloom and hybrid. I have them stored in the freezer, mylar etc. I'm trying not to rely on any one method
Leave a comment:
-
Seeds?
I have been trying to decide what type of seeds to get for SHTF.
I see the crisis garden commercials and even Sams Club has a seed bank. I just wonder if that is worth it, or should i buy my own seeds vacuum seal them and put them in a 5 gallon bucket with a copy of "Old Farmers Almanac"?Tags: None
Leave a comment: