No announcement yet.

Mystery Seedlings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, so last night didn't work out as we had 2 new nurses who both needed the tour and instructions for my husband's care. Maybe later today...but I have a friend coming at lunchtime and don't feel like getting dirty/sweaty before she gets here😂

Comment

• Today is the day for planting. I pulled out carrot, onion, parsnip, zucchini, bell pepper, sugar snap, and cabbage seeds. It's a bit late for cabbage but the nights are still pretty cool, so maybe it will work.

Comment

• Garden is planted but nothing's sprouted yet. I put in fresh soil and direct seeded all of it. i hope i see some action pretty soon

Comment

• 5 cucumber plants and 1 squash plant sprouted! It's pouring rain right now, which should help more seeds sprout, as it's been hot and dry here since I put seeds in. I'm excited! No watering tonight😁

I've been cleaning out closets and supplies to take to our storage unit - how many suction toothbrushes does my husband need? We received hundreds of them. We have two beds and four comforters, and enough pillows and white draw sheets to outfit a small hospital. My van is jam-packed! I got a carpet shampooer and I'm in the process of removing anything on the screen porch that doesn't need to be there so I can clean the carpet...after I vacuum up 3 cats' worth of hair!
          Last edited by surviort_wwdnet; 04-21-2024, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• I did yard work yesterday afternoon while it was still cool out (for us anyway). Never got to planting anything as mowing, weed eating, edging, weed spraying took all afternoon. Maybe next week as SIL comes to town today...
            Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Comment

• Now I have one zucchini, 6 cucumbers, 2 tomatoes, and one sugar snap sprouted....slow going. No carrots, no bell peppers, and no cabbage yet.

On a positive note, I went out to the motorhome to retrieve a Dyson(-type) vacuum cleaner, looked around to see how much I need to clean out of it, and decided that before I left I would try to start the RV up. Lo and behold, it fired right up! It's been on the trickle charger all winter and wouldn't start, and I was afraid I'd have to get a tech out here to replace the battery. Now I can clean all of our stuff out of it and get it listed to sell.😁😁😁

Comment

• Squash #2 sprouted - that's it. From afar it looks like a second sugar snap is up. I watered twice today, so maybe tomorrow there will be more sprouts! My sweet potato sits in a quart canning jar on the windowsill and has a slip starting. That means I have to finish weeding the large container, get more soil added, and get ready for a soon-to-be sweet potato explosion😁
                Last edited by surviort_wwdnet; 04-25-2024, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Patience is a virtue I have yet to master...🙄

2 zucchinis, 2 sugar snaps, several onions, 2 cabbages, 6 cucumbers, 3 tomatoes - some of everything I planted has sprouted except for Bell peppers and carrots. I used seeds from last year's pepper harvest, so if there's no action in a few days, I'll replant with packaged seeds.

I did get a trellis built for the cucumbers, and tomorrow will do one for the zucchini and another for the sugar snaps. It got too hot out there for me.

Comment

• Carrots are up! I replanted the bell peppers, and finished the trellis for the sugar snaps. The frame for the zucchini is awaiting the netting and it will be done. I may plant another sugar snap and another zucchini. I got cages around the tomatoes so they can grow straight. If/when the peppers come up, they'll get cages too. I have 4 slips starting on my sweet potato, so in a few weeks they should be ready to be separated and planted. Tomorrow I have to make a Home Depot run for more storage bins, and I ordered some K2 sprinklers for when the irrigation guy comes in two weeks.

My daughter flew in yesterday (it was chaos rearranging nurse schedules after her whole itinerary was changed) and today we initiated the pool. I vacuumed and then enjoyed the cool clear water. Temps were in the mid-90s so it was refreshing. We dragged out some deck chairs and a side table and enjoyed the sun. Mostly we caught up since she hasn't been here for almost 2 years. I have a new great-grandson, just born 4 days ago and got to see lots of pictures❤️❤️

Oh, and I got another shipment of those dad-blasted foam toothbrushes from the VA😂
                    Last edited by surviort_wwdnet; 05-01-2024, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• And just like that, my daughter's back in NY...😢

Garden is struggling in the heat. Our thermometer says it's 102 outside, so I would be struggling too. They're doused but not to the point of drowning - just a little root soaking. A few weeds but I won't be needing a flamethrower to get rid of them. For now I can just pluck them. I lost one tomato plant so I replanted cherry tomatoes in its place.

Comment

• Success! After some wicked storms moved through, the sun came back out and the temperature fell. I finished up the trellis for the zucchini, then was inspired by the comfortable working conditions to weed out the large container that I want to plant my sweet potato slips in. After weeding, I dragged about 12 bags of soil over and filled 'er up. Now it's ready for my slips as soon as I get them rooted!
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	slips.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	115658

After seeing no bell pepper action, I put in new seeds on Wednesday. After the rain, they're sprouting like crazy😁

Comment

• Added another row of carrots last night and put in a couple of beefsteak seeds. Another sugar snap has sprouted! I have 2 sweet potato slips in water, and one is already rooting. It has a way to go but I'm guessing in a week or two the slips can be planted. It's getting ready to rain, which makes everything grow - including weeds. I'm doing my best to keep them from overrunning the containers.

Comment

• Plants are a bit heat-stressed this afternoon, but I watered them after this and all are growing well - I am doing a small garden this year as I have a lot of other commitments, but this should do me for summer vegetables. There are other seeds that I planted after the first batch that haven't sprouted yet, and I have 3 sweet potato slips rooting on the windowsill. They will be planted in one of the large containers that's filled with soil and just waiting. I have 2 smaller 3x4 containers that I need to get new landscape fabric under and fill with soil. I have some onions sprouting but they're so tiny right now that they're not photogenic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	carrots.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	115671
                            Carrots

Click image for larger version  Name:	cabbage.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	115672
                            Cabbage

Click image for larger version  Name:	peppers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.4 KB ID:	115673
                            Peppers

Click image for larger version  Name:	sugarsnaps.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	115674
                            Sugar Snaps

Click image for larger version  Name:	squash.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.2 KB ID:	115675
                            Zucchini

Click image for larger version  Name:	cukes.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	115676
                            Cukes

Click image for larger version  Name:	tomatoes.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.3 KB ID:	115677
                            Tomatoes
                            Last edited by surviort_wwdnet; 05-16-2024, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• I got somewhat of a deal on FD fruit and some refried beans & rice, so I ended up with 13 new #10 cans in my storage closet. Since I'm not growing any fruit, two cases of FD fruit will have to do, and the can of beans & rice was just because I didn't have a can of that. I have some mulberry seeds that I'm going to try to plant in the fall, but that's a long-term project.

Comment

Working...
                              X