Air is quite compressible, and those barrels are reasoanbly thick plastic if they are what i'm imagining (and hence reasaonbly strong to compressed air -- just like a [weaker] soda bottle is to [the weaker pressures of] carbonation). I imagine a little coillege physics and/or chemistry could get it precise, but i'd say if you fill them no more than 80% going into winter, you should be plenty fine. You could also install some sort of pressure releif valve (two-way) in the top, that lets out air (on air back in during a thaw), in which case you could fill probably up to 90%, but it hardly seems worth that complication.
In the spring, fill to 98%. In the fall, drain it down again a bit.
Here's a test -- use a soda bottle in your freezer and try different fill perencentages (by volume) and see how they do.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Larger Amounts of Stored Water
Collapse
X
-
I'm worried about them freezing and bursting the barrel. If they are airtight how much will the barrel take before popping?
Leave a comment:
-
What it the precise concern about freezing? Is it the ability to access the water in liquid form (I don't imagine you get long-term freezing in OK, but I could be wrong) or is it just concern of the barrel bursting? If the latter is the case, the simple solution it seems to me is to only fill the barrels up to 90% of capacity (I think the density of ice is 10% less -- and hence volume is 10% greater -- than liquid water.
Also, if you are able to tap your barrels near the bottom, you could at least partially solve problem number one, as Ice forms on the top and works its way down.
Leave a comment:
-
interesting, never thought about freezing barrels (gotta love Texas).... But when I was stuck up north in my growing years, we use to put a rubber ball in the horse trough to prevent it from freezing... Seems that the wind blowing was just enough push to keep the ball moving and that was enough to keep the top water from freezing... obviously this wont work in EXTREME cold areas, or in a 55gal barrel... so I am interested also in Matt's question... :)
Leave a comment:
-
Larger Amounts of Stored Water
I have maxed out on water I can store in the house and am considering buying some 30-55gl barrels. They would have to stored in non climate controled areas such as a shed/garage or even in the open. I will probably only be able to start with one. My issue is with freezing. Any ideas?
I have thought about those electric wire wraps used on pipes that you plug in and wrapping it around the barrel but I don't know if that will work or not. Anyway need some help.Tags: None
Leave a comment: