8 years on battery bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 years on battery bank

Folks always ask about batteries used in alternate energy systems and how long they last.

We are in process of changing out 20 of our 24 L16 batteries in our bank. 4 batteries were swapped out last summer- they were from 2013.

The 20 we are replacing are all mostly marked 2014 and a few may be older than that. They are not all "dead" but many are failing and it was a good time financially for us to change out the whole bank.

We've been using L16's since the late 90's. I can't remember ever paying less than $200. a battery. Mostly I remember ranges of $250-275. at least. We got this new batch at $302.95 per battery. Given the current inflation craziness and continuing price increases on everything, I felt like it was a decent price.

We have been cleaning light corrosion off of battery cables a couple times a year while doing normal PMs on the batteries. I figured almost 22 years was enough and decided I would change out all the battery interconnects this go around also.

Talking with a customer buying a PVS14, he mentioned doing solar installs out West. He mentioned this product called "Deoxit D5" that can be used on battery connections. We will try that this go around also.
    www.homesteadingandsurvival.com

www.survivalreportpodcast.com

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0559.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	112751

Not all the new cables arrived at the same time, so we need to still swap out the cables closest to the front.

Also tried "Deoxit" spray on all the connections this go around as well. This was recommended to me by a customer who is a solar installer out West who oddly enough had a VERY similar set up to what we have.
    www.homesteadingandsurvival.com

www.survivalreportpodcast.com

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Comment

Darn, now I realize how slack I've been. <grin>
      Guess I need to double the numbers of my batteries. <haha>
      Very pretty.....and ......they do provide a large degree of comfort by having them don't they.

BTW, I run all Trace SW4024's. (3 total) and they meet my needs.
      I control how much electricity I need and use. Comes from living off grid in an RV for a number of years.
      Anyhoo, I scrounged a spare front control panel. Picked up an 18 foot old style printer cable, the one with the 24 pin D-Shell connectors on each end.

So I have an inthehouse control of one of the inverters.
      Ran across a problem.
      Was tuning an HF transmitter and somehow the RF got into the inverter or the remote panel and the remote panel no longer had a digital display.
      I was heart broken..
      Ran across a marina fellow in florida who told me:
      Down the inverter, remove all 24VDC for 10 minutes.
      Reconnect the DC.
      Bring the inverter back up
      By golly that fixed everything and I have my inthehouse control panel again.

Hope this might help somebody.
      Last edited by prc-104; 02-08-2022, 02:21 PM. Reason: kant type

Comment

Daughter bought me a hydraulic crimper last Christmas. Used it to build fence wires to hang deer fence. It had a set of jaws that would clamp cable as used on your battery cables. might save some time someday if you have to build new cables...
        Salutations,
        Templar

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

There are very good reasons why we all are gathered here...

Comment

Working...
        X