Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planted Tomatoe seeds today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • monkeybird
    replied
    I ordered some Cherokee Purple Tomato seedlings. Can't wait to plant them.

    Leave a comment:


  • trkarl
    replied
    Sorry. It was from grprat77's blog post farther up the thread. There is a bag of soil shown and I was wondering what it's components are. http://skattagun.blogspot.com

    Leave a comment:


  • SCinPNW
    replied
    I agree it is a lot of tomatoes, however, I am giving some to my parents, some to one of my brothers, and a few other folks. For the remaining plants that I do not want, I was going to see if some of my neighbors might be interested in them.

    I do not have a blog post, but the soil I am using for my tomatoes is organic potting soil mixed with spaghnum peat moss.

    SC

    Leave a comment:


  • trkarl
    replied
    That's a massive amount of tomato plants. Looks good. I'm curious as to what are the ingredients in the "soil" you show in the bag on your blog?

    Leave a comment:


  • SCinPNW
    replied
    I finished repotting my tomato plants today. Here are a few pictures:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden pictures 023.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	107134
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden pictures 021.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	107135
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden pictures 024.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	107136
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden pictures 022.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	107137
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden pictures 025.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	107138

    It will be awhile before I can put them outside. Just yesterday morning we woke up to snow. It is gone now, but still too cold for garden plants to be outside.

    SC

    Leave a comment:


  • MustangGal
    replied
    I want to try a potato tower. The Farm Fairy gave us some big buckets that cattle protein licks come in. I am going to try filling one partially with soil start three plants and as they grow add soil. Then I can cut the bottom out of another one and continue the tower.

    Leave a comment:


  • EX121
    replied
    If you do the container gardens, try and put wheels on the container. This lets you move it around to catch the sun or shade as needed ( and saves your or others back). The House Queen (wife) informed that we usually start stuff inside in March. I'm going to try growing leeks this season also.
    A friend always grows his potatoes in a big bin and does very well. He adds enough compost once a week to cover the lower leaves & continues this through the season.

    Leave a comment:


  • SCinPNW
    replied
    Thanks for the tip on the metal wash tubs Goatlady, that is a great idea! qrprat, great gardening pictures. I cannot wait to see your greenhouse!

    SC

    Leave a comment:


  • qrprat77
    replied
    Hey guys, here's what I'm setting up right now:

    more pics and posts to follow.

    Leave a comment:


  • goatlady
    replied
    I have found those old-fashioned metal wash tubs do real well as planters for taters and squash and carrots and onions. Cheap at auctions and junk stores cause they usually have holes in the bottoms which is perfect for water drainage anyway! They work great for mints also - keeps them from getting away in the garden.

    Leave a comment:


  • SCinPNW
    replied
    I like growing things in pots or buckets. This year I am thinking of doing potatoes in a large planter just to experiment with it. LOL, "experiment" is my gardening theme.

    Let us know how your buckets turn out.

    SC

    Leave a comment:


  • Wendy
    replied
    I am going to attempt to grow some things in buckets inside this year. I too cant put anything out until June and then we are done by mid-late August. I am lucky to have some large windows that get a lot of afternoon sun in a room that is not often used so it may work.

    Leave a comment:


  • SCinPNW
    replied
    Thanks qrprat! If we shared a fence we could just swap some plants. ;-)

    Ex121, no I do not have greenhouse. I have my plants in the sunniest room of the house. Right now I have 3 Goji plants started and the tomato plants I planted in these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

    I did purchased mine from Home Depot.

    We shall see, how it goes. I am by no means a master gardener so it could be a boom or bust. ;-) Oh, and our temps this past week have been in the 40's, but with rain.

    SC

    Leave a comment:


  • EX121
    replied
    Do you have a greenhouse? Where do you put them to sprout? We're still in the middle of winter on this side of the mountains, and can't put anything out until late may early june. Good Luck on your garden.

    Leave a comment:


  • qrprat77
    replied
    Congrats!
    I did my sprouts yesterday, not nearly as many plants, and good on ya for making them available to neighbors for 2 bux, if we shared a fence I'd take ya up if the variety was right!
    I have 24 rutgers tomatos planted, and also did a clipping from some time I started from seed. I'm hoping it roots well.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X