Once all the interior parts , wheels, engines, transmissions, etc. have been stripped, partially burying the body in a convenient location for a nice weatherproof LP/OP. Use spray paint to cover the windshield except for a narrow strip to prevent reflection problems.
Truck beds for same, flip them over and you have a decent shelter with minimum work.
Tires, wheels, axles for carts.
Interior cloth and leather for making or repairing clothing, the welt material makes a fairly strong cordage.
Fuse block, relays, lights, wiring- multiple uses in 12V power systems.
Serpentine drive belts for slings, and bindings
Hoses for fluid transfer, siphoning
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Cannibalize a car
Collapse
X
-
ohhh man judging from the responses I see a whole bunch of new youtube "hey hold my beer and watch this" videos a coming!!Originally posted by Matt In Oklahoma View Postspecially when you combine them with the air bags to project items:)
Leave a comment:
-
There's a simple reason for that. Last I checked, airbags contained a small explosive charge and detonator. Now that could be useful.Originally posted by Metal View PostWhen I was much younger, back in 1986 when air bags first appeared.
A friend and I were hunting parts in a junkyard when a new mustang GT came in on a rollback with the rear end smashed. (The car was released to be used for parts)
Apparently the FD didn't disconnect the battery and while I was removing the newer style clutch quadrant to upgrade my car,
my buddy somehow triggered the bag in the steering wheel.
This resulted in a broken nose and two black eyes.
Sorry for the long story but yes airbags have a lot of energy.
Leave a comment:
-
Excellent idea. I was talking with Eagle Wing, a friend of mine, and told her that when the SHTF there will be plenty of airplanes and private jets to jack.
I think its a great idea. Cars will be abandoned, make use of them.
I am still working on the airplane idea. I don't think it is theft, if the vehicles or airplanes are abandoned and society has collapsed.
Leave a comment:
-
When I was much younger, back in 1986 when air bags first appeared.
A friend and I were hunting parts in a junkyard when a new mustang GT came in on a rollback with the rear end smashed. (The car was released to be used for parts)
Apparently the FD didn't disconnect the battery and while I was removing the newer style clutch quadrant to upgrade my car,
my buddy somehow triggered the bag in the steering wheel.
This resulted in a broken nose and two black eyes.
Sorry for the long story but yes airbags have a lot of energy.Last edited by Metal; 08-29-2011, 07:11 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
Absolutly I was on the fire dept. and we set some off for demonstrations and wow, they could come in handy.
Leave a comment:
-
specially when you combine them with the air bags to project items:)Originally posted by trapper View PostIf you have power, the the door switches can be used to let you know when a door is opened or can be used for triggers on booby traps
Leave a comment:
-
If you have power, the the door switches can be used to let you know when a door is opened or can be used for triggers on booby traps ,and if you find a fancy car with leather seats pre tanned leather for clothes ,bags all kinds of things.
Leave a comment:
-
Not that this idea has much basis in reality, But if someone were trying to rush your elevated position, a rolling chassis (or many) released to roll down hill in their direction could do some damage. Attach a few spikes on the front to puncture radiators and you have an episode of the "A-Team"
Or even just an axle with tires on it rolling down hill.
Leave a comment:
-
you know my son tried to make headlight solar purifyier which failed but each headlight assembly held 72oz of water securely
Leave a comment:
-
There is a reason that wrecked cars on the side of the road in Africa only last about a week before they have been picked clean. Ever seen "Lord of War"? The time-lapse scene where Nicholas Cage sits in front of his airplane and watches it disappear overnight is absolutely normal. Perhaps we should ask the professionals (native Africans) what they use cars for?
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks for the link!! This site has free PDF's. Might have to do this with the FIL, my son is too young but later it will be a fun project!!
Leave a comment:
-
The engine block, especially if it is an inline 4 or 6 cylinder cast iron block, can be used as the basis for the multimachine, a home made machine shop... lathe, mill, drill press, whatever you may wish to build. http://opensourcemachine.org/
The axle in a rear wheel drive vehicle can be used in constructing a wind mill system, placing the differential up on the tower to drive a shaft to power equipment or pumps below.
The gear oil is heavy enough to work well as bar oil on a chain saw.
Leave a comment:
-
Showing my age...in the 70s, it was popular to wear sandals with tire tread soles. The tops wore out before the bottoms!Originally posted by Davar View PostThis idea isn't original, but in the novel "Patriots", a man took tires and used them to make rubber soles for moccosans. I think this is one of the best ideas I have heard yet. The one thing that will wear out that will leave so many SOL is shoes. Even if you have ten pairs of shoes stashed away, they will go faster than you can wear them out. It would be hard to see my brother walking around with rags tied to his feet, when I have two pairs of size 11s hiding.
Leave a comment:
-
There are so many parts that are useful where to start? The hood is the first to be seen and used take the hood off turn it upside down attach a rope or ropes to the front you have a sled works good on grass or snow. Front bumper from pre 1990 pickups and vans can be used as a feed trough for goats or chickens. The engine/transmission if it is lack of fuel can be used to power all kinds of machinery by making a wood gasifier to run it on, but it will only produce about half the horsepower. I think that is enough for now.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: