Originally posted by elittle
View Post
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Dried instant potatoes
Collapse
X
-
So do we need to portion them out, put them in mylar bags and throw in an oxygenator or can we store them in the plastic/foil pouches they are sold in at the store?...thoughts?
-
I've been thinking about packing some instant potatoes myself. Any idea of the top of your head what the shelf life is when packed and stored correctly (mylar + 02 absorber)?
Leave a comment:
-
you can buy them precanned from places like JRH Enterprises or you can go to a big box store and do your own storage of them. Sams in my AO sells Idahoan 3.25 lb boxes for $5.76. I believe they are dehydrated but I could be wrong. This makes up 65.5 (1-cup) servings or 106 - #10 Scoop Servings or 1 Full Steam Table Pan. You could then put them in mylar with an O2 absorber or you can buy them in #10 cans all ready for LTS from JRH Enterprises.
We eat these potatoes all the time and I can't tell the difference in taste compared to peeled/mashed taters.
Leave a comment:
-
We have been taking boxes and combining or dividing them up for vacuum storage. So I don't really care about the original size just how good and how long they will keep.
Leave a comment:
-
That big box does not store as well as and really does not taste the same as those foil and sealed packets.
Leave a comment:
-
If you watch Idahoan , you can get the big box for $2.88 and it will have a coupon on top of the box for a full rebate of your purchase price. They were like that in April of this year. Nothing beats free! And they are very tasty.Originally posted by BioG8r View PostI will have to give the Idahoan's a try. We've been looking for Bulk but if they are packed to store, so be it!
LOVE ME SOME TATERS! MMMMMMHMM!
We keep potaoes in the garden and hold them inground for as long as possible but they do have a relatively short term "shelf" life.
Leave a comment:
-
I will have to give the Idahoan's a try. We've been looking for Bulk but if they are packed to store, so be it!
LOVE ME SOME TATERS! MMMMMMHMM!
We keep potaoes in the garden and hold them inground for as long as possible but they do have a relatively short term "shelf" life.
Leave a comment:
-
man you gotta try them loaded and garlic and other types, they are sooooo good, feller dont even need no gravy and it will help with food burnout too! I like them Aldies brand
Leave a comment:
-
Absolutely, those Idahoan taters are fantastic. Cannot really tell the difference between then and "real" homemade mashed taters. BUT only the ones that come in the sealed pouches, not the boxed ones - the boxed ones are not near as good and fresh tasting.
Leave a comment:
-
Idahoan in the small foil pouches is what we use a lot around here. They make a few different flavors, but we like the Loaded Baked the best. Each one is $1 at Wal-Mart (give or take a few pennies), and there are about four servings in each one. Add a pack of McCormic gravy mix, and serve with your favorite meat or meat substitute. Add some dehydrated or canned veggies, and VIOLA'.......Dinner for 4 ! ! ! :D
Leave a comment:
-
Dried instant potatoes
I used to hate instant potatoes but I think the technology has improved and I can't really taste the difference any more. I would like to get some quantity of instant potatoes for long term storage. Any ideas, brands you like etc?
ThanksTags: None
Leave a comment: