No announcement yet.

Mystery Seedlings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I traded our gas powered walk-behind edger in exchange for payment of weekly yard maintenance. While this wasn't a big deal, it's one less check to write for May, and one less piece of unused equipment in the shed. The gas pressure washer will be the next thing to go - that thing is a beast I don't care to master😂Oh, how I wish my husband hadn't given my little electric pressure washer to our neighbor! Maybe I can trade the gasser for a driveway/sidewalk/workshop pressure cleaning.
    Last edited by surviort_wwdnet; 05-23-2024, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• I have 2 squash blossoms! Since they're only open in the morning, I'll try to get a photo tomorrow. There are still more buds on that and my other zucchini plant. I don't need a ton of zucchini - just enough to have some to eat plus some to shred and freeze for baking. Everything else is looking good, and the second row of carrots I planted is sprouting. Onions are looking sickly... I think I'll plant some sweet potato slips tomorrow and say a prayer for them😁

Comment

• Now I have 5 squash blossoms and more cucumber blossoms😁 I didn't get photos because I had to get up at 4 AM for medical duty and I was too tired. The cukes are climbing the trellis like crazy and are almost at the top! I planted my largest sweet potato slip today and gave it a good shower. If it makes it through the night, I'll plant two more tomorrow. I'm hoping for a good crop of sweet potatoes so I can pressure can them in the fall. Other than that, I sprayed some weeds between the containers and pulled some small ones out of the containers. I ordered new hose nozzles because the contractors ruined mine when they were working concrete🤬 I have a free one I got for doing a product review, but it doesn't have the right settings for gardening.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Peppers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	115699
        Peppers

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slip.png Views:	0 Size:	19.3 KB ID:	115700
        Slip

Click image for larger version  Name:	Cukes.png Views:	0 Size:	21.8 KB ID:	115701
        Cukes

Click image for larger version  Name:	Squash1.png Views:	0 Size:	28.5 KB ID:	115702
        Smaller Zucchini

Click image for larger version  Name:	Squash2.png Views:	0 Size:	31.7 KB ID:	115703
        Larger Zucchini
        Attached Files

Comment

• Today is Memorial Day, when we remember all those in the military who lost their lives fighting for our freedom. God bless them all and bless our nation.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	GodBlessAmericaGIF.gif
Views:	27
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	115708

Comment

• Planted 3 sweet potato slips 2 days ago and all seem to be doing well in spite of the heat. I'll go out to water after the sun gets off the garden. It's another hot hot hot day here and I'm hoping we get some rain soon. My pool pump timer has gone kerflooey so it looks like I need a new one. That one is only 15 years old so I don't know what the problem is! Add that to the new refrigerator I just had to order because Sears messed up my repair order to fix the existing one, and I can't wait another month. It never rains but what it pours around here.

Comment

• My first zucchini:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	zucchini.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	115722

I hadn't been in the garden for a couple of days, so I was surprised to find this beauty in the squash container!

Comment

• sorry for being AWOL...my computer went down, tried to revive it and called a 'Mac' guru friend of mine. He pronounced it dead...nada, tried many times doing different procedures and all it would say is I could use it as an external hard drive. So, being that my whole biz is run off of my laptop (yes have backup files) I ordered another one. It shipped the next day. I thought I would try 'turning on' my old one and it was fully functional...a few files missing, a few files I had deleted a while back showed back up but iOS was the latest one out there for my machine. Anyway, have been trying to get back to a 'normal' life and transferring things onto my new one. Then dad back into hospital but was sent back home later that day, then friends dad passed and here we are...

So, the garden is producing some things for you. Mine, well, it isnt doing much. We have had a big drought here and it had been weeks since we had any rain here at the house until two days ago and it poured. had 2" standing in the front yard....everything has wilted and started to die, despite some watering on my part, but apparently not enough....
                Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Comment

• I'm sorry you've had such a run of bad luck. I'm glad your dad's back home and hopefully doing better.

Not much in the way of rain but next week looks promising - or everything in the garden will drown. Either way it's been a rough gardening season here. I almost said "to heck with this" a few times but I'm hoping it will turn around. I hate to keep watering because I don't want our wells to dry up, but the plants need the water. The tomatoes are stunted at best, the peppers are creeping upwards but way too slowly, and the squash is suffering in this heat. The only thing looking healthy is the weeds....It's supposed to be over 100 degrees today, so I'll water then stay inside.

Comment

• With my husband in the hospital, there's no time to care for the garden and everything is dying in this heat with no rain. All things being equal, I may just have to let it die and replant for the fall.

Comment

• wow, sorry to hear about your husband. I gave up my garden as the same is happening here....lot of heat and little rain. Rain has started again, but now I do not have time for it. Daughter and SIL and my 3 year old grandson is moving to GA. That takes him from being 20 minutes away to 4 hours away. Now I have a friend in GA that lets us camp on his land (107 acres) and we are building a cargo container home there. His property is only 1 hour from them so looks like I need to finish that conex home and leave my camper there for a bit...our eBay business is doing well so that requires time home as that is where our products are and we have to ship from...our friend just lost his father and needs help on his farm, so we are helping him with some of that as well...glad i retired a couple years ago...
                      Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Comment

• Life continues to happen in spite of our best plans and intentions! My cukes, sugar snaps, and squash are done for and I just need time to get out there and pull out their dead bodies. I can't imagine how I would deal with everything if I hadn't retired. I moved the cart out to the motorhome in hopes I can get more things packed up and ready to go to the storage unit. I want to get it sold! Then I can get a big storage building in its place and maybe a new car to replace my 13 year old one. I love driving the new van but I need to keep the mileage down on that one.

It's sad for you that your grandson will be so far away, and I know you'll want to spend as much time with him as possible. It's good you have a friend who lets you camp in GA. Get busy and get the conex home built! I never get a chance to see my grandkids, who are 1000 miles away. There's no chance I'll be traveling for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• agree on the retired part....things i am working on for the conex is solar array. Have all the components for the system and the array frame is built but the mounting hardware is crazy expensive. Also looking into solar well which is $$$ and the septic system concept we made for the campers, think dump station (too far away from conex) seems to be working so need to get that built. Plus...we need to finish the kitchen area and the wiring/plumbing...other than that we are done...LOL Because we had nothing to do we bought a second conex for storage and to convert the first half into a clinic. It will have our freezers in it as well. That is on hold until home is done, but when we see something we will use in it and its cheap, we get it...

NO 10-289!

Comment

• I see you are going to be very busy for the rest of your life! You should have a barn-raising party, only to finish your conex instead of raising a barn. Offer pizza and beverages - they will come.

Pouring rain, thunder, lightning - well, at least the remnants of the garden are getting watered.

Comment

• More rain and we had a new nurse today, so I couldn't really do much as she was getting oriented to the equipment, supplies, and job responsibilities. Tomorrow it's back to experienced nurses and I'll go out and tear out dead/dying plants and figure out what to replant.

Comment

• All of the dead plants (zucchini, cukes, sugar snaps) and weeds are in the yard waste container, I trimmed the grass around the containers, and now am getting ready to replant in grow bags. The sweet potatoes are thriving, as are the Bell peppers. My whole second row of carrots is gone, but I have two small cabbages that might make it long enough to give me some leaves to work with. The recent rain has really helped the tomato plants. I also tossed two dry rotted frost blankets. Now that it's summer, maybe I can find some on sale! FWIW, I got all of our belongings out of the motorhome and now it just needs cleaned inside, washed/waxed outside, and some air in the tires, and it's ready to go.

UPDATE: I found some 10x30 frost blankets for $11 each and now they're on their way to me. YAY!!!
                                Last edited by surviort_wwdnet; 07-09-2024, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X